The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2009, 10:42 AM   #1
diablo508

mossberg 500 forend pistol grip....& cocker safety

as the title states, anyone recommend a good one, seems like most pepole say they are "loose" and I will not like it...is there one out there that people like?.....

on another note, the??..."safety" cocker thing...can I take that out? with the new collapsible stock my wrist isn't in the right position to push it in when I try to load/unload shells...thanks for the advice!
Old March 5, 2009, 10:51 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Diablo, a trigger group for a maverick 88 may just drop in... I see no reason it won't... This will give you a crossbolt safety... but then you have an open slot for Mr.Murphey to drop things in at the worst possible time.
Rather than mod the 500, you can get a maverick 88 and swap around your barrels and stock.
As for the front pistol grip, I have never used one but see it as a hindrance. Makes the gun far less versatile, and that is the feature I love the best about a pump shotgun. The pgo rear grip is likely one of the most often "removed for resale" items in the entire firearms realm!
Brent
Old March 5, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
rantingredneck

Quote:
"safety" cocker thing...
Do you mean the slide release? By your description that is what I gather you mean anyway. The safety is the top tang of the receiver. The slide release is at the rear of the triggerguard and would be blocked by the pistol grip on your collapsible stock.

No you cannot take the slide release out.

Forward pistol grips are one of those things that work better in movies than reality as are rear pistol grips. You may also find with use that your rear collapsible stock is less than comfortable when firing buckshot and/or slug loads.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 5, 2009, 11:01 AM   #4
diablo508

yes the slide release

I see what you mean, so I might off just be better to go back to the pistol grip
Old March 5, 2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Scattergun Bob

rantingredneck

You said a mouthfull there, my friend.

Quote:
You may also find with use that your rear collapsible stock is less than comfortable when firing buckshot and/or slug loads.
My best to you, Bob
Old March 5, 2009, 11:12 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry I missed the description thinghy...
Or you could try a standard rear stock...
I am not about to outright try to question your ability or experience but I do think that if you shoot enuff to know what suits your needs the best in reality, you might have learned the names of the controls, and internal parts to some extent.
The least accurate is PGO. The most difficult to secure from your opponent should they try to take the gun is a pgo. The least versatile in terms of shooting positions is also a pgo. The least safe in CCB is a pgo. The least usefull should you need to use the gun as a club is the pgo...
To each his own but there is no way these points can be disputed... There are approximately 4 others who regularly post here have far better training or experience than me so don't take my word only but please hear these guys out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoClS...eature=related
Please watch this video some one posted in another pgo wanted thread...
Brent
Old March 5, 2009, 11:41 AM   #7
partemisio

In my opinion, a pistol grip stock is better then a regular stock. Not talking about a pistol grip, I mean a stock like a Benelli M4. Less recoil, faster follow up shots, more comfortable, and easier to maneuver.

Diablo, is this Chris that I lived with in Fulton?
Old March 5, 2009, 12:15 PM   #8
flippycat

don't forget about this one hogdogs :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGRu6ejeis
Old March 5, 2009, 12:35 PM   #9
OLNfan

Hogdogs and Flippycat! thanks for sharing those videos! When I frst started out shooting/hunting. I thought hey! I should get a little defender/pursader for when Im bowhunting. So asked the store clerck about them and he told me flat up, they look cool, their kinda fun but usually in a month or two people come back and trade them for something else. In the end I purchased a mossberg 500 with the retractble stock. This way I could go full pistol grip, or pistol grip with a stock. and needless to say I have never taken the stock off haha.

by the way when you say saftey cocker Im slightly confued are you talking about the action release, hold down and cycle the ammuntion through etc? cause Im right handed, I found that it was easeir to use more of my knuckle than my finger to hold it up and cycle the rounds (if IM holding my firearm at a target and rocking the cradle to reload.) if that makes sense? and for the foregrip I have never been such a fan of, never shot one with it, and proboly never will. BUT if you can practise with it and get to the level of shooting where you feel comfterable with it then rock on.

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladv...17&i=177471076 thats as close as I cound find for you, essentially alot of 500's come with the retratable stock but hah I guess a 2nd one doesnt hurt? Its got the foregrip though. Im in no way endorcing this store, I just simply gooled foregrips for mossberg 500 and filterd through a few pages and found this.

Last edited by OLNfan; March 5, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old March 5, 2009, 01:20 PM   #10
diablo508

gotta say those You-tubes were funny and a warning to those without a stock or unprepared for a 12's kick
Old March 5, 2009, 01:36 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Let me submit this video as proof that anyone can do with a fullstock what some do with a PGO...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN84F...eature=related
Another point of note to all. IMHO the wrist is less subject to painful bone jarring recoil in the position she uses...
Brent
Old March 5, 2009, 04:34 PM   #12
rantingredneck

Quote:
You said a mouthfull there, my friend.
Bob,

Several of us round these parts seem to spend a lot of our time trying to lead horses to water as they say.

Take care my friend.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)