The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 9, 2008, 09:04 AM   #26
Constantine1911

+1 Steelcore, you hit the nail on the head. That is my purpose for my vest, even though I may never use it.
Old January 10, 2008, 05:32 AM   #27
Mr Clauds

Hey guys

Thought i'd throw my 2 cents in...

I'm going to be getting one of these:
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.za/...an_Jacket.html

Easy to throw on, can be worn easily in public etc...
There are also concealible BPV's somewhere on the site...

In a gun fight in my country, it's always against at least 3 armed criminals who have planned and organised (we don't have junkies breaking into houses), the crime stats are close to third world contries, though we have enough economic stability to be classifed as 1st world country !?...

Here, it's a normal occurance to get robbed, hi jacked, mugged etc, and usually with aggrevating circumstances. A BPV is a wise thing indeed

Thanks all for a great forum, I just hope to input as much as I have learnt
Old January 10, 2008, 11:19 AM   #28
Constantine1911

Welcome aboard, sure is an expensive vest but nice though.
Old January 10, 2008, 11:38 AM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Never would consider it for HD! I am likely to emerge from my "cave" buck naked or maybe wearing skivvies if it ain't to hot when I go defensive. My first thought is the obvious... "WHO THE HELL..." second is grab gun. Since it is already sporting one in the chamber I just have to locate than identify intruder as an intruder than I can ELIMINATE the threat while wifey poo call the cleanup crew in blue... While return fire is possible I highly doubt the BG will get the first shot and with gobs of lead headed in his direction at a high rate of speed he likely won't be the straightest shooter. BTW legal ramifications are not a concern.
Brent
Old January 10, 2008, 11:18 PM   #30
Socrates

Hi Mas

Still looking forward to going shooting at Chabot with you, if I can ever get a day off, or, I know your coming out.

I also keep electronic hearing, and, my 500 Max linebaugh, .475 Linebaugh FA 83 as primary weapons, with a 1911 as backup.

I know, and understand your position, but, at my age, I want the fireball from the giant cloud of H110, or 4227, that Hornady uses in their 400 grain HP loading. Figure for those weird bumps in the night, that's the way to go.

Oh yes, the 45 Kimber, with 45 super in it, 230 grains at 1100 fps.

Most common carry is pepper spray.
Old January 13, 2008, 04:43 PM   #31
Derius_T

I think a vest would be a great addition to your defensive playbook if you can afford it. Is it paranoid just to be prepaired? Most situations it probably would not come into play, but it sure would be nice for that 1 in a million scenario where you need it. If I had the money, I'd have one in a flat second.

Saying you don't need a vest, is the same as saying you are overly paranoid for having more than one gun, too much ammo, ect, ect....
Old January 14, 2008, 02:24 AM   #32
skeeter1

Quote:
Wondering how many have first bullet proof vests, second pepper spray, ear protection, etc. ready and close?
Yeah, I've got pepper spray nearby in a kitchen drawer, and hearing protection upstairs in my shooting kit. Plenty of knives and flashlights, too.

As far as wearing a Kevlar vest around the house, no thanks. That's one step too far for me.