The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 27, 2009, 09:12 PM   #1
doublesforme

Opening up a Choke

I recently bought a nice 20ga Wingmaster with a 28' barrel and a full choke.
I kind of had it in the back of my mind of using a hone to take a few thousandth's out of the choke to open it up a bit.
My question is, could it be done without screwing up the POI, I mean, would the hone run true enough to keep it concentric and not mess things up.
I know a reamer is the correct way to do this, but the price of the reamer to do one barrel hardly seems worth it. (Unless I mess it up, then it would have been worth it.)
Has anyone else done this?
Thanks for any help
Old April 28, 2009, 10:08 AM   #2
sadsack

Doubles: It can be done with a hone, but its not the best method. The more you take off with a hone increases the chances of changing the point of impact. A hone should be used to polish the bore after using the reamer.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
grymster2007

A Sunnen type honing machine, in the hands of someone that kinda knows what they're doing, will take the material out very quickly and should not change POI. A drill motor mounted brake cylinder hone may work also, but I'd be real careful.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:56 AM   #4
GuyMontag

Is there not a removable choke tube? For all the time and trouble, why wouldn't you just buy a new choke tube? I'm confused...
Old April 28, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
doublesforme

Nope, no choke tubes, just a fixed full choke.
I'll be taking it shooting sporting clays this weekend, maybe it won't be as tight as I suspect it is. We'll see.
Thanks everyone
Old April 28, 2009, 11:27 PM   #6
gunn308

Can you get a replacement barrel in a skeet choke? Then you won't have to take a chance of ruining a good gun, maybe it will cost more than a reamer but then you will have what you want/need. Full choke is pretty nice for sabot slugs and 00Buck.