The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 26, 2000, 10:12 AM   #1
Ezeckial

In the flick "Ronin", what was the rifle Robert DeNiro used after blowing up the car at the stop light. He put the grenade launcher back into the Mercededs and retrieved this rifle.
Thanks in advance!
Old March 26, 2000, 02:11 PM   #2
Victor Romen

It was a Sig SG 551, and chambers the 5.56 mm NATO round. I believe the one used in the movie also had the black furniture rather then gray seen on it's longer barreled parent the Sig SG 550.

Here's a picture from that scene: http://cinema.paradiso.no/filmer/1998/ronin/bilde04.jpg

[This message has been edited by Victor Romen (edited March 26, 2000).]
Old March 27, 2000, 06:30 AM   #3
Ezeckial

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Victor Romen:
It was a Sig SG 551, and chambers the 5.56 mm NATO round. I believe the one used in the movie also had the black furniture rather then gray seen on it's longer barreled parent the Sig SG 550.

Here's a picture from that scene: http://cinema.paradiso.no/filmer/1998/ronin/bilde04.jpg

[This message has been edited by Victor Romen (edited March 26, 2000).]
[/quote]

Thanks very much!!
"Ronin" is a great flick. DeNiro, Reno, and the rest of the cast did a fine job. This was John Frankenheimer's best flick since the 60's (IMHO). Damn shame DeNiro is such an anti-Second Amendment type.

Old March 27, 2000, 04:22 PM   #4
Victor Romen

You're welcome. Yes, it was a good flick. Nice weapons selection and great car chases. I'm sure you've already seen it, but if not, "Heat" is a fine flick, as well as "Thief" (both directed by Michael Mann).
Old March 27, 2000, 05:14 PM   #5
Sea Bass

I'll second that on "Heat" I have that movie on DVD and sounds awesome on my 5.1 surround system
Old March 27, 2000, 07:33 PM   #6
Ezeckial

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Victor Romen:
You're welcome. Yes, it was a good flick. Nice weapons selection and great car chases. I'm sure you've already seen it, but if not, "Heat" is a fine flick, as well as "Thief" (both directed by Michael Mann).[/quote]

I haven't seen "Heat". Wasn't James Caan and Jim Belushi in "Thief"? If it's the flick I'm thinking of; great music, great photography, spare plot, and Caan handled his 1911 like a pro!.

Old March 27, 2000, 11:16 PM   #7
Victor Romen

Yep that's the one. Caan did do a really good job with the 1911. I liked the slow motion shoot out at his house, which included the mag change with the slide still forward, hammer back and a loaded chamber rather then slide back in many movies. That was impressive. Of course the vault cracking was also impressive.

Rent "Heat" as well. Sea Bass is right about the sound (with his sound system it would probably be deafening). Even on the junk TV with below par speakers I saw it on it sounded spades better then anything else I had seen. You will not be disappointed.

I recommend "The Wild Bunch" as well. It's a classic.
Old March 28, 2000, 03:19 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

You want a serious gun fight movie?

John Woo's "Hard Boiled".

No movie like it before or since - closest was The Matrix.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." -Nixon
Old March 28, 2000, 06:29 AM   #9
Ezeckial

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Hill:
You want a serious gun fight movie?

John Woo's "Hard Boiled".

No movie like it before or since - closest was The Matrix.

[/quote]

"Heat", "Hard Boiled" sounds like I got to go to the video shop.
Saw "Wild Bunch"...Peckinpah's best, I think.
And if you liked "Wild Bunch", try "The Professionals" with Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin...while your there, get "The Professional" with Jean Reno.