The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 20, 2002, 02:42 AM   #1
triage

Northern Ohio ranges?

I'm looking for another range in Ohio to shoot at. I'm currently a member of the South Cuyahoga Sportsmans Association. While it is not a bad range(100 yard range and 200 yard open only during DCM matches) it mostly caters to the hunters and not the high power shooters. During hunting season the highpower range close Monday thru Saturday and it is only open on Sundays from 12 noon to 5pm. Since I work on Sundays I'm basically SOL from October till March. Any other Ohio shooter have a nice range that you can recommend for me. I live 15 miles Southwest of Cleveland (Strongsville to be exact) and I am looking for a range within an hours drive. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old January 20, 2002, 06:16 AM   #2
Hal

I belong to Kelbly's down off of Rt 21, just North of Massilon. It's got 25, 50 100 and 200 yard ranges. Membership is $100.00 for the first year, and $79.00 a year after that. It's open year round from 8:00 AM to sunset. From Strongsville take the Turnpike to the I77 exit, then I77 South to Rt 21 split. Take Rt 21 South to the Marshville road exit. Take Marsville road West till you see the Kelbley's sign. Turn left at that road (Dalton road) and it's about a mile down on the right. Travel time should be about an hour going that way. You could also take I71 South to Rt 18, then 18 East to I77/Rt 21 South.

Here's the website
http://www.kelbly.com/

Phone (330) 683-4674
Old January 20, 2002, 07:37 PM   #3
hksigwalther

Hey RAE,

I just joined Kelbly's (this past Friday). I had plans to teach a few friends shooting but was informed AFTER my credit card was processed for the membership that only immediate family (spouse + kids) are only allowed. Oh well, kept the membership anyways as it is a bit closer than Tusco and it seemed to be a great place to seriously zero in rifles with those cement benches. (I'll keep the Tusco membership too.)

triage,

If you want to shoot rifle, Stonewall does allow them in their 25yd indoor range on certain days. Last time I shot there over new years with a few other TFLers, I was surprised at how much better it was compared to a few years ago. No more bullet holes through the stall dividers (that I saw).
Old January 20, 2002, 11:22 PM   #4
triage

I think i might have to check Kelby's out. I keep seeing Tusco in numerous posts. Can anyone tell me about this club, such as dues and any other information?
Old January 21, 2002, 05:56 AM   #5
Hal

Ron,
Yeah, the no guest policy kinda sucks. I heard George Kelbly put that into effect, as well as raising the annual fee from $25.00 to $79.00 because too many of the "guests" didn't behave themselves. Those concrete benches are there because it's mainly a benchrest club. They host a National match every year there.

Couple of other drawbacks. No pistols on the 100 and 200 yard. No .22's on the 100 and 200 yard. No rapid fire.(shots have to be at least 1 second apart) No full auto. Only paper targets are permitted.

Still, even with the restrictions, it's a good place to go. I can't tell you the number of Saturday or Sunday morning's I've had the ranges all to myself. Even when there are others there, you never see any of goof balls lots of others mention that show up at their ranges.
Old January 21, 2002, 12:59 PM   #6
hksigwalther

And you can't post targets in any distances between the benches and the normal target posts. Yeah, I can't wait for the benchrest matches to see how accurate shooting is realy done.

As for Tusco, there are a number of ranges in that complex. You can shoot anything, including full auto. There is a .22lr only outdoor range though but the other 4 will handle centerfire. There is now also an indoor .22lr range. Matallic Silhouette is shot there, there is Summer Biathalon, a ~monthly plate shoot open to the public, etc. I'll have to post the schedule when I get home. The dues are now $47.70/yr (+$25, IIRC, for newbies). Oddly enough, they use the .22lr outdoor range for the plate shoots where everyone is usually shooting centerfire rifle.

Located just outside of Midvale. Take 250 East to Midvale exit. Turn left from the off ramp towards Midvale (back over 250). Turn right at the light. Go straight (if the road seems to fork, take the left fork). ~1-1.5 miles down is Tusco on your left. First range on the left is .22lr only. Next two are the 50yd and 100 yd ranges. Next is the shotgun range. Next the main range (with Silhouette targets). On the far right is the 300 yd practice range (to be lengthened farther than 300yds if it hasn't been done so already). The plate shoots are a hoot.

Last edited by hksigwalther; January 21, 2002 at 03:19 PM.
Old January 22, 2002, 12:57 PM   #7
triage

Thank you gentleman for the replies. I 'm paying $250.00 per year for the club I'm at right now! For that cost I can join both clubs and have $50.00 extra to spare!!!
Old January 23, 2002, 11:07 PM   #8
1S1K

I left South Cuyhoga for the same reason. I am from Strongsville also. When I move to Northfield itwas just to far for the limited use. I am going to check out Kelblys.
Old January 26, 2002, 07:45 PM   #9
Cougar

I seem to remember

I seem to remember another outdoor public range down by Lodi. Sullivan, actually. I think it was called Shooters Challenge or some other such. It had a 200yd rifle range (they ran the targets out with an ATV for you!) and you could set up other targets at closer ranges for pistol, etc. They were also just getting into the Sporting Clays game when it became popular and had a course set up for that. As you can tell, I haven't been out that way in a looooong time. I have an old co-worker who bought 40+ acres that allows me to shoot (with him) at his place now.