The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2011, 01:24 PM   #26
ZeroJunk

Deer doesn't know what a gun is anyway. Try not to be waving it aorund and draw attention to yourself.
Old November 6, 2011, 02:34 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

My go-to rifle is a highly polished Stainless Ruger M77 Mk II. On top of the shine from the steel, the stock finish has been worn to a warm glow from handling, as well. The whole weapon acts like a signal mirror. ...But the Antelope, Deer, and Elk don't seem to care.

The only firearm I've ever seen spook big game, was a Browning 1885 High Wall with a 28" octagonal barrel. The high polish on the barrel flats causes a strobe effect, as the rifle moves around on the hunter's shoulder, and reflects the sun. It is easily seen from more than a mile away, and definitely draws attention to the hunter, far too early in his stalks. ...But those high-polish flats on the octagonal barrel are the only time I've ever seen a firearm get some one 'busted'.
Old November 6, 2011, 02:34 PM   #28
Gunplummer

The problem with taking advice from this forum is it covers the country. Depending on where you hunt some of the advice is very good and some is very bad. Nobody rifle hunts with out orange in the states I hunt. I am just guessing, but there is probably a lot of green up yet when you rifle hunt out west. Makes a big difference. Over in the east, the leaves are down and everything is brown and grey looking. Deer that are being hunted pick up movement at hundreds of yards and see sunlight reflected just as far. The only reason you never spooked a deer with a shiney rifle is because you never saw it get up and leave. I was hunting one day and had a couple doe about 80 yards down from me and was not really interested. It was about 10:00 in the morning and I slowly took out a pack of cigarettes. The cellophane wrapper was reflecting the bright sunlight and they took off, obviously they had been shot at already during the concurrent buck/doe season. Once the leaves are down, the most valuable sense that a deer has is sight and they don't miss much. I doubt it matters which you use if you sit to hunt, watch a guy with a scope walking around on a sunny day and it is a lot worse than a shiney rifle.
Old November 6, 2011, 03:14 PM   #29
Mike1234

Seems To Me...

...that the far more worrisome issue is with barrel "rifling". This is why I opted for "inaccurate" AK rifles with chrome lining. They're not quite as accurate "at first" but they don't "lose accuracy" over a period of many decades due to rust.
Old November 6, 2011, 03:20 PM   #30
highvel

I can find a blued rifle in the woods a lot faster than pick out a stainless one.
I don't remember ever seeing a SS barrel that was shiny, they have a brushed finish. If you take one of each and lean them against a tree in the woods you can see the difference, just make sure you stay on the blued gun side so you can find the SS

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 6, 2011, 03:28 PM   #31
Mike1234

^^^ I understand your logic... but humans (and our visual perceptions) are not the same as deer.
Old November 6, 2011, 10:22 PM   #32
warbirdlover

Quote:
...that the far more worrisome issue is with barrel "rifling". This is why I opted for "inaccurate" AK rifles with chrome lining. They're not quite as accurate "at first" but they don't "lose accuracy" over a period of many decades due to rust.
I don't know for sure if AK rifle barrels have chrome plated bores but if they do I believe it's a cost/time saving measure from having them heat treated to a higher hardness. They just wear longer then a none heat treated steel barrel and eliminating quenching will keep the barrel from warping requiring straightening. They can also use cheaper steel that "won't" get hard from quenching. And chrome plating can also peel so I wouldn't want a rifle with it. Just my two cents.
Old November 6, 2011, 11:15 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Quote:
Seems To Me... ...that the far more worrisome issue is with barrel "rifling". This is why I opted for "inaccurate" AK rifles with chrome lining. They're not quite as accurate "at first" but they don't "lose accuracy" over a period of many decades due to rust.
I don't know for sure if AK rifle barrels have chrome plated bores but if they do I believe it's a cost/time saving measure from having them heat treated to a higher hardness. They just wear longer then a none heat treated steel barrel and eliminating quenching will keep the barrel from warping requiring straightening. They can also use cheaper steel that "won't" get hard from quenching. And chrome plating can also peel so I wouldn't want a rifle with it. Just my two cents.
If you ask 20 people why the Russians like chrome-lined bores, you'll get 20 different answers, and all 20 people will swear only their answer is the correct one.

No matter where the discussion ends up...

I don't have to worry about my rifling rusting away. I have this crazy thing that I do...
It's really simple: I clean and maintain my firearms.
Amazing, I know. Whodathunkit?
Old November 6, 2011, 11:33 PM   #34
BIG P

Dont worry about SS just hunt wipe it off once in a while I hunt in S.GA hot wet & bright no problems with SS. No rust no worries.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:56 AM   #35
BigShep85

camouflage

I feel that a stainless makes more sense only if I plan on having the gun camouflaged, that way I never have to worry about rust or any of that or the finish scaring off animals because of course it has camo.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:36 PM   #36
bejay

dont think theres any difference for hunting, the stainless can have some advantages maintence wise but they usually cost more also.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:21 PM   #37
Slamfire

Deer will smell you before they see you.
Old November 11, 2011, 01:50 AM   #38
Gunplummer

Deer will not smell you before they see you, that is an old wives tale.
Old November 11, 2011, 03:27 PM   #39
lawnboy

Quote:
I'm sure that the "serious hunters" that use scent blocker, camo that best matches the local landscape, and shower with special soap will be more scuessful, but when hunting becomes that much work, I'll just stay at work and make money.
Well put. +1 on that.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old November 11, 2011, 07:13 PM   #40
jmr40

Quote:
Deer will not smell you before they see you, that is an old wives tale.
Obviously from someone with little or no deer hunting experience. Deer, as most any big game animal are quite capable of smelling you from several hundred yards away and can be in the next county without ever seeing you. Or you them.
Old November 11, 2011, 09:00 PM   #41
warbirdlover

I've had deer walk right up to me while I was smoking a cigarette. Quit smoking two years ago and don't see as much deer. Just kidding. No more and no less. I think the scent blocker thing takes things too far. I saw just as many big bucks 45 years ago as I do now. If it worked we'd wipe out the herds....
Old November 12, 2011, 09:18 AM   #42
Daryl

In truth, both "blues" and "stainless" guns shine in the sunlight unless they have a matte type finish.

And I use either blued or stainless with good results, with matte finishes, and shiny as well.

I don't like a mirror-type finish on a stainless gun, and will bead blast it to dull it down to a useable finish for my purposes.

Daryl