The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1
napg19

Wilson ultra-light carry

Just curious. Looking at the base price of $3250, I have to know is Wilson that good to command that kind of money? Makes me wish I still had that Colt 1911 series 70 .45 I bought when I got out of the Navy in 71', for $150, new.

Last edited by napg19; April 8, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

We own 5 Wilson Combat 1911s and am very pleased with all of them. When I have had an issue, WC has always done an excellent job to make things right.

Are they worth that much expense? Yes and no. You can find other 1911s for much less money that will work just fine. If you can afford the Wilson, then I think it is a worthwhile expense (along with several other custom or semi-custom 1911s) and doubt you will regret the purchase.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
EdInk

It's a little steep. That sounds like MSRP. Wilson does make a great gun. Compare some Nighthawk and Ed Brown models, too.
Old April 9, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
napg19

Thanks, Richard.
Old April 9, 2010, 10:30 PM   #5
etaoin

It's kind of like deciding to buy a good set of Craftsman wrenches or a set of SnapOn wrenches at 3 times the price. Both do what they're intended to do and both have lifetime warranties.

Pride of ownership and an appreciation for fit and finish factor into this somewhere.
Old April 10, 2010, 06:03 AM   #6
ShootingNut

DNSpy,
My first thought was, laying out that kind of dough, I wouldn't expect to
"have had an issue". And yet you have 5 WC.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

LOL, you think spending big money on a gun means the gun won't have parts that wear out or break, that maybe that they last forever? Do you think expensive cars, homes, or computer systems exist indefinitely without having any problems?

Well, I guess for a lot of shooters, a Wilson Combat gun should not ever need to go back to WC for service. They don't shoot their WC guns regularly and based on what I have seen on the forums, many owners refuse to carry such guns for self defense out of fear that they will be involved in a self defense shooting and the gun will be confiscated by the cops during the pending investigation. So while there are a lot of folks who own WC and similar types of guns they shoot them irregularly at most. They are kept pristine. However, I have nearly 100,000 rounds through one of my CQBs. It is about 9 years old and was my carry gun for 7 of them. Amongst other parts, I am on the third barrel. You know, 45,000 rounds can just about make a rifled barrel a shiny smooth bore. It is the only gun of the 5 that has been back to WC.

Here is one of my early posts back in 2001 when I had about 8000 rounds through it.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=cqb+rounds

By Pearl Harbor Day the following year, I had 35K through it.

Here in 2005, I had 65K through it...

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; April 10, 2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old April 11, 2010, 09:54 AM   #8
tristar viper

I was told by a guy at a gun shop close to me that these Wilson's are just a different division of Kimber.....Is there any truth to that??
Old April 11, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
I was told by a guy at a gun shop close to me that these Wilson's are just a different division of Kimber.....Is there any truth to that??
Nope.
Old April 11, 2010, 11:46 AM   #10
rsxr22

that is the farthest thing from the truth! Nighthawk and Wilson have some lineage. Old WC smiths started Nighthawk, and maybe at some point in time someone at wilson may have worked for Kimber but there is no affliation
Old April 11, 2010, 11:51 AM   #11
tristar viper

Well, thanks for clarifying it. I swear that's what this kid said, and I doubted it, so I asked.
Thank again.