The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2002, 04:27 AM   #1
Billmanweh

Goodies for my preban Benelli?

I just picked up a preban Benelli M1S90 and I'd like to dress it up with a few accessories.

I'm thinking ghost ring sights with a tritium or fiber optic front (or dot type optics?), a good white light, larger bolt handle and safety if available, and a good sling.

Could anyone suggest specific products, websites to order from, or even cool stuff I'm not thinking of.

BTW, I paid $850 for a preban M1S90 in like new condition with rifle sights and a nice tactical case. Good deal, or about average?
Old June 28, 2002, 05:56 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good luck with your new shotgun.

A suggestion, go shoot it before you get into the bellsnswhistles. Once you've put a few cases of ammo through it, you'll have a better idea of what it and you need, if anything.

HTH....
Old June 28, 2002, 06:36 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Bill, around here that's a good price. Neither high nor low.

The big question is what do you plan to do with the Benelli? Unless it's a dedicated LE SG, my take is that the standard rifle sights worked fine. Not quite as fast as GR sights, but certainly adequate.

BTW, if your serial number is below M104800, I have a SureFire tac light for sale at a great price. Never mounted.

Giz
Old June 28, 2002, 07:01 PM   #4
hitnthexring

I paid $920 for a Benelli M1 with pistol grip, ghost rings & for $60, I added the 7-round extension.
Old June 28, 2002, 10:20 PM   #5
Mikey

Billmanweh,

I have used the ghost rings and the rifle sights. I have also used the PG stock and the "standard" style.

I find, for a good all around tactical shotgun that I use for 3-gun, duty/qualification and Tactical Shotgun Training, the rifle type sights and standard stock are faster and more versatile. The Ghost rings are better for longer ranges with slugs (over 50 yards) but I seldom need that capability. With the rifle sights I can do offhand head shots out to 25 yards and rested head shots at 50. I had my front post drilled and a tritium vial installed for night work.

The only options I added so far are the GG&G oversize charging handle and a CQB Solutions sling with integral buttstock shell carrier.

Giz,

Mine is M045XXX and I would be interested in the light at the right price. E-mail me if it's still available after Billmanweh considers it.

Mike
Old July 13, 2002, 03:40 AM   #6
Billmanweh

I think I'll just stick with the rifle sights for now.

I still would like to add a good sling, and oversized charging handle and safety.

I'm also considering putting on a good quality white light. Are these actually useful, or do they just give someone shooting back at you a good aiming point?
Old July 13, 2002, 02:12 PM   #7
KSFreeman

What Erick sez. However, I would clarify: just don't be shooting to be shooting. First pattern your weapon with different loads and different ranges. See what it likes and dislikes.

Get a light. Despite the declarations of ignorance and citations to Soldier of Fiction magazine by gun shop commandos, you cannot just shoot people without compliance with Rule #4 on the mean street or in your house.

Be careful of those silly "tactical" (i.e. they are black) slings with their loops, buckles, spare ammo and a place to put your toothbrush and floss. They make noise. More rubbish to hold in the support hand when shooting. I like a plain vanilla, nice and thick nylong carry strap. It's so simple even I can manage it.

I like ghostrings as they force me to look at the sights instead of over the gun. Plus, that's what I have used in various skuls.

Further, buy 3 more of the same weapon.
Old July 15, 2002, 10:26 PM   #8
jthuang

The white light unit you're looking for is the Surefire Responder 617F. The "F" designates the unit with the momentary AND constant on-off. The latter is particularly important if you have to open doors, cover a goblin while dialing 911, etc.

Justin