The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

Is there a good "bullet tutorial" out there?

Friends, I need to purchase some bullets to load up some .38 Special and .45 ACP in the near future. All that I've had any dealings with in these two calibers have been either FMJ, JHP, or SWC. I'm not up on how "hard cast" bullets come into play in the reloading process. Can you direct me to a link that can help educate me? Thanks!

Also, if you have a link to what you consider a good deal on some bullets (current high prices of reloading components notwithstanding), I'd appreciate that info as well...

Yoosta B. Blue
Old February 13, 2008, 05:40 PM   #2
The Lovemaster

You need to go to a place your fellow Tejas guy swears by - www.mastercastbullets.com - for lead bullets.

As far as advice, most reloading manuals will have it, as should The ABC's of Reloading, another excellent source.

When I reload lead, which is most of the time in handgun, about the only things I worry about are keeping the velocity lower, flaring the case mouth a little more so it doesn't shave the bullet during seating, and being conscious of the lead as a hazmat. In other words, practicing safe hygeine.
Old February 13, 2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Sevens

Use the search engine on this site to reveal dozens of topics brimming with info on getting the most out of cast bullets. Also, check out a recent thread also chock full of good info that titled Cast Bullets: What's the truth?