The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2008, 04:29 PM   #1
UniversalFrost

trouble with Hornady Lock-N-Load measure and IMR4895

Ok,

Had a new Hornady Lock-N-Load powder measure sitting around gathering dust and I decided it would be perfect for small run calibers and I could set up different meetering inserts for each specific caliber or setup.

Well, the darn thing won't measure my favorite rifle powder IMR4895 worth a darn. At first I thought it might be throwing these vastly different charges because I didn't have a powder baffle. Well I went out and picked up a Hornady powder baffle specific to this measure and still no luck. Then took a lyman no.55 baffle out of my lyman and it still didn't help.

have tried tapping the side after every drop to make sure powder settles, but it still throws +/-5gr each throw.

Right now I was trying to throw 48gr, but have messed around with it to throw all across the board and it still doesn't hold a consistent pattern.

I would rather just go back to using my RCBS or Lyman measure instead of switching powder, but would like to hear if anyone else has had similiar problems with IMR4895 or other powders in their Hornady L-N-L powder measure.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 8, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2
DaveInGA

You probably have the wrong cylinder. 4895 is the powder I most use my LnL powder measure for and it meters great.

Dave
Old February 9, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3
UniversalFrost

used the factory cylinder and then tried the pistol micrometer meter and also the rifle micrometer insert.

no problems with any of my lyman 55's or my rbcs measures. just tried it out on my dillon and no problems.

joe

Old February 9, 2008, 02:09 PM   #4
nobody_special

My Hornady LNL AP powder measure usually does well with IMR4895, but occasionally is off by +/- 0.5 gr. or so. I don't worry about it unless I'm within 1 gr. of the maximum load, in which case I'll weigh each charge. (Not a big deal, since I use pretty light charges for plinking/practice ammo, which is the vast majority of what I load.)
Old February 9, 2008, 02:52 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

ok, I found the problem.

Remember when I said it was NEW in the box. Well, I foregot to clean off the light coating of lube/rust preventitive that they put on it.

I found this out after I threw about 30 charges and none were even close together. I was about ready to take a hammer to the thing. Well, I took out the micrometer metering unit and was about to put the standard meter back in and noticed that there was a lot of powder sticking to the side walls of the cylinder.

Doooh! I took apart the measure and sprayed the thing down witha good coating of brake parts cleaner and then wiped everything down and reassembled.

Guess what. It now throws consistent charges.

Now off to load up some 8mm mauser rounds (which by the way for you all I throw 50grs of imr4895 and top it off with a 150gr Hornady SP all in remington brass and CCI large rifle primer). Many of the new load books don't reccomend more than 45gr because of the fear of someone shooting the 8mm mauser in an older 83 or 88action that can't handle the pressures a 98 action can. This more closely resembles the european 8mm mauser loads and is almost identical to 30/06 loads.