The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 13, 2014, 10:26 PM   #1
9mm

Looking for 22lr suppressor , 2nd time buyer

Bought a 556 suppressor and now I'm looking for a 22lr one.

I bought ACC for 556 and honking about sticking with ACc

AAC Prodigy

Caught my eye but I haven't done much research on surprrssors for 22lr. It took me about two months to go witth the 556 model.

Edit I saw info on
Element
And heard it was user friendly to clean?
Old March 13, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Im currently waiting on my stamp for the 22 can i bought

Here's my thoughts

If you value weight savings over EVERYTHING else , then and only then look at an all aluminum suppressor. Light weight was the number 1 thing with me so i bought an SWR Warlock II. 3oz total, but all aluminum so harder to clean

If you want ease of cleaning get one with stainless steel baffles. This allows more aggressive cleaning techniques to be used without fear of damage to the can.

Look for a can that prevents the lead from reaching the outer tube. Hard to take those apart. Lead cakes up and you have to beat the baffle stack out. Both AAC and SWR have incorporated this feature

Maybe somebody can chime in and remind me what company is doing the clamshell inner tube holding the baffle stack?? Looked like a good design

So.. Lightest possible or easier to clean? 22lr only or all the rimfire's (17, 22mag, etc).
Old March 13, 2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Sharkbite

BTW...

Suppressors are the "crack" of the firearms world. Nothing is more addictive then this

Like you i bought a rifle can (AAC 762sd-n6) thinking "what else will i need?"

Since then... A 22lr can, a pistol can with pistons for 9,40& 45, threaded barrels for all 3 calibers plus re barreled my 10/22 for the can.

The only good news is i think ive got all the bases covered

Ohh did i mention getting a 308 setup for subs??
Old March 14, 2014, 02:55 AM   #4
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Maybe somebody can chime in and remind me what company is doing the clamshell inner tube holding the baffle stack?? Looked like a good design
That's the Silencerco Sparrow (though Tactical Solutions makes something similar). It's the easiest .22 suppressor on the market to clean that I've ever seen.

9mm: The two most popular .22 silencers on the market are the Sparrow and the SWR Spectre II. If the primary host is a pistol I suggest a Spectre II, and if it's a rifle I suggest a Sparrow. The Sparrow is super-quiet, but the Spectre is slightly quieter on a pistol and has much less first round pop; that's the main disadvantage of a monocore design like the Sparrow: more first round pop (the first shot is noticeably louder than subsequent shots; this is especially noticeable when shooting the Sparrow on a pistol, you really don't notice it on a rifle).

The Sparrow is slightly easier to clean than the Spectre and is shorter (but slightly wider). And considering I've never seen a .22 can that was easier to take apart when dirty, the Sparrow a great can and I would love to have one. But the Spectre is cheaper, almost as easy to take apart and clean, has less first round pop, and is slightly quieter, so I'd choose the Spectre if I could only have one .22 can.

The Warlock II is the exact same design as the Specter II except it's aluminum so it's a lot lighter, but it's less durable and slightly louder. And I love AAC's rifle cans, but wouldn't recommend getting any of their .22 cans; they're outclassed in every way by the .22 cans made by Silencerco/SWR.
Old April 30, 2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Olympus

Don't count out the TacSol Axiom either. It's design is very similar to the Sparrow. I have one and love it. It's rated for 22lr, 22mag, 17hmr, and FN 5.7 as well as being rated for full auto.
Old April 30, 2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Theohazard

I've never shot an Axiom, but back when I worked at an SOT I got to play around with one and take it apart. It seems like a great design that incorporates the best of both worlds: Its got K-baffles with dater holes, which tend to be super-quiet but hard to take apart when dirty. But the sleeve it has (like the Sparrow but one-piece) seems it would make it easy to take apart no matter how dirty it was.

Olympus, how does the Axiom compare sound-wise to other top .22 cans like the Sparrow, Spectre, Element, etc.? Is it as easy to take apart when leaded up as the Sparrow is? How is the first-round-pop? I would think the FRP would be minimal because it uses K-baffles.
Old April 30, 2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
I've never shot an Axiom, but back when I worked at an SOT I got to play around with one and take it apart. It seems like a great design that incorporates the best of both worlds: Its got K-baffles with dater holes, which tend to be super-quiet but hard to take apart when dirty. But the sleeve it has (like the Sparrow but one-piece) seems it would make it easy to take apart no matter how dirty it was.

Olympus, how does the Axiom compare sound-wise to other top .22 cans like the Sparrow, Spectre, Element, etc.? Is it as easy to take apart when leaded up as the Sparrow is? How is the first-round-pop? I would think the FRP would be minimal because it uses K-baffles.
I can't compare to other cans since this is my first. My father in law has a Sparrow that he's waiting on approval for so I'll compare it in a few more months.

I don't notice FRP on my Axiom to be any louder than the following rounds. To my ear, there's no difference. I just like shooting it. When the loudest sound is the slug hitting the muddy backstop, that's quiet enough for me. I haven't taken it apart to clean it yet. I'm at probably 250 rounds so far.