The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 18, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Bernie Link

Why aren't there 22 wmr made in semi-auto

Question. Why aren't there 22 wmr made in semi-auto? I've heard that the Kel Tec PMR-30 has suspended production because of key-holing. AMT & Excel Arms Accelerator Pistol have one but are they still made? I'm just wondering why Glock, Taurus, Ruger, S&W, etc. are not making a 22 mag. auto?
Old February 18, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
UtahHunting

I am no expert on this but from what I understand the 22WMR round will not feed properly into a semi auto firearm. Just the size and shape of the round. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
shootniron

The Remington 597 is .22mag and currently available.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:23 AM   #4
KMAX

I would guess too that it may have something to do with demand. 22 WMR ammo is pretty expensive when compared to 22lr and not much less expensive than 9mm. As mentioned above, I could see some potential feeding problems due to the shape of the cartridge. Just my $.02.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 18, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Bernie Link

No, I'm referring to handguns.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #6
9mm

There is.................
Old February 18, 2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Bernie Link

Jack rabbits in SE New Mexico go 6 to 10 pounds and a lot of shots exceed 70 yards. My old Savage 22wmr rifle is good to 150 yards and has more knock down power than my 22lr pistol or rifle. Also, for a car gun (self-defense) Or am I just trying to find an excuse to convince my wife that I really, really need to buy another gun?
Old February 18, 2013, 03:15 PM   #8
g.willikers

For jack rabbits, if you don't get them before they run, even a semi auto isn't going to be much help.
If a bolt action doesn't do it, once they're on the move what you really will need is a .22 Gatlin.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/ruger-102...num-p-571.html
Old February 18, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm just wondering why Glock, Taurus, Ruger, S&W, etc. are not making a 22 mag. auto?
Because the higher chamber pressure requires a unique type of action, in semi-auto handguns.

.22 WMR is a bit of a beast to cycle reliably in semi-autos. The problems run from one end of the spectrum, to the other.
Sometimes, it tends to blow actions open, before the bullet even leaves the barrel. (The same problem that killed the semi-auto .17 HMR rifles.)
Other times, it grips the chamber too well, and doesn't impart enough momentum into the slide, to achieve full cycling.
To counter that, you need a very heavy bolt/slide, or you need to assist the case in 'gripping' the chamber until pressure drops (bullet leaves the barrel).... while, at the same time, making sure the case doesn't stick, so the action can fully cycle.

The PMR-30 and AM II use similar designs - they have ribbed or dimpled chambers, to help grip the case and keep the action from opening before pressure drops; but they also use "gas channeling" to assist in reducing chamber grip once the bullet has started down the barrel.

On top of that, Winchester traditionally thought .22 WMR was a rifle cartridge and CCI thought .22 WMR was a handgun cartridge. Modern loads go outside those boundaries, for both companies, but there are still vast differences in performance and powder burn characteristics between different loads.
One 40 gr SP load may perform dramatically different than another 40 gr SP load, even if they claim to have the same muzzle velocity.
That's why every (semi) successful .22 WMR semi-auto handgun was designed around one or two specific loads, with owners being told to shoot nothing else. (Winchester for AMTs, one Winchester and one CCI load for PMR-30s.)

In short...
.22 WMR is a nightmare make function reliably in semi-auto handguns. So, most companies don't even try.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:33 PM   #10
lcpiper

I think it's mostly just marketing decisions.

We all have different reasons for wanting handguns. Some for defense, some for nostalgia, some just because they like the look of a particular gun. But what a gun is made for is killing be it man or beast or paper.

We have guns that are made for practice too and calibers as well. A .22LR is good for small game, but it's perfect for practice. A .22WMR is even better for small game, but it is not better for practice and although no one want's to get shot with a 22mag, not many really chose it for primary personal defense. So the way I see it, .22WMR sits in a useful but distinct niche, small game hunting and easy to hide, last ditch self defense.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:39 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

The PMR 30 is still being made.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:59 PM   #12
DaleA

g.willikers - you've inspired in me an evil plot. I think I might forward your link to the 10/22 Gatlin kit to a couple of my state legislators and innocently ask if it will still be available in the future. Once they find out it is legal they'll undoubtedly swoon, have a case of the vapors or maybe even experience a chest clutching moment. (The horror, THE HORROR).

Thanks for the link.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There's the Automag. Mind you, I don't care much for the current High Standard Company but, with that established: http://www.highstandard.com/brands/amt-automag.html

Photo from Jeff Quinn's Gunblast

In general, it's a very long cartridge. I'd love to see the 1911 offered in .22 WMR, but the .22 WMR is a longer cartridge than standard, 230-grain .45 Auto ball ammo. The .22 magnum won't even fit into a 1911 magazine.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Bernie Link

For the Kel Tec PMR-30 on gunbroker.com they are asking as much as $1600. At budsgunshop.com when they had them they were $312. So it sounds like due to short supply there are some that are price gouging. I just question some posts that say there is no demand, I would buy one for around $350 but not $600 to $1000.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Hal

Quote:
Because the higher chamber pressure requires a unique type of action, in semi-auto handguns.
SAAMI on both .22lr and .22 mag is 24,000 psi.

However...

I believe you're correct about the pressure being a problem. Not because it's higher, but, because of the way it "comes on".