The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Chavo

detachable magazine

which shotguns take these, are they factory or after market mods?
I'm looking for a good home defense shotgun, want something compact
Old November 11, 2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Technosavant

The only current production one I'm aware of that's available with anything even approaching ease is the Saiga, built on the AK platform by Izhmash in Russia. However, it's anything but compact... it's one long stinkin' shotgun, especially in stock form; conversion to a pistol grip config will shop a few inches off the total length, but the receiver is still extremely long and the barrel is way out there (even at only 19"). The reloading time is also not quite as fast as you'd think unless you mod it further with a different magwell.

If you're looking for a decent home defense shotgun that's reliable and compact, I'd say go for a Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870, either in a tactical-type trim. You're not likely at all to need to run mag after mag full of 12 gauge after invaders... after the first two or three rounds I image they'd get the point and flee, be lying on the floor incapable of further trouble, or your poor aim would have given them the opportunity to punch your ticket while you drilled holes in drywall to no effect. These tac-style shotguns will hold at least 6 rounds of 2 3/4" 12 gauge ammo, and that's going to be more than enough... a side saddle with a few more or a Speedfeed stock will let you top it off as needed too.

The Saiga 12 is a fun shotgun, but as an owner, I do want to tell you that the detachable mags in a scattergun are not quite as good an idea as you might think at first.
Old November 11, 2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Chavo

I have a 500 laying around, I could buy a stock for me just seems like the barrels longer than I like. I hunt with my 870s so i really don't want to switch the stocks up on them
Old November 11, 2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Chavo

I'm not saying it would be any better I just think they look "intimidating"
Old November 11, 2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Technosavant

I'd think the business end of ANY shotgun is plenty intimidating.

You can check and see if you can find a shorter barrel for your 500 (a quick peek at Brownells shows 20" and a 18.5" versions). Tack on a magazine extension, maybe a side saddle and furniture set. Probably even some kind of sling and even a weapon light.

Load that sucker up with some good 00 buck (or some of the Winchester PDX1 slug/shot loads if you have a mean streak), and that's NOT a shotgun I'd like to have pointed in my direction.
Old November 13, 2011, 09:19 AM   #6
PT-92

There's really nothing too 'compact' regarding shotguns. A SB shotgun ('legal') would be either in 18.5-20'' barrel length. You can legally posses a 14'' barrel SG if obtained via the proper laborious permit process. I have a Saiga-12 and it's rock solid. The only other option I know of would be the AR-15 like shotgun (outside of youtube, I have seen no reviews):

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1000.aspx

-Cheers
Old November 14, 2011, 03:32 AM   #7
10-96

Chavo, don't take me wrong- I'm not trying to attack you, talk down to you, or insult ya- but I suggest you back up and re-evaluate your idea of home defense. A person shouldn't do anything to look intimidating, nor shoud they prescribe to the school of thought that the terrifying rack sound of a shotgun will send bad guys fleeing from the entire northern hemisphere.

If you find yourself in need of a weapon, then a weapon you should have- not a bunch of fanciful ideas. Little in life is more discernable than the profile of a person pointing something lethal at you. Now honestly, unless you're brandishing- how likely is it that you will ever hear a BG utter the words "Holy sheep dip, look at the magazine on the shotgun that homeowner is pointing at me!"? There is nothing wrong at all with following suit with what LE and other such folks utilize.

edit: Just for the sake of putting it out there... Savage, Mossberg, or somebody still makes a Model 200 (210?) bolt action goose gun that uses a detachable magazine. That could be whittled down to legal length, but I can hardly mention one of those and tactical proficiency in the same sentence.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 14, 2011, 05:17 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

If, God forbid, you ever enconter a home invader anhave to pull the trigger, you don't want some over zealous prosector waiving an intimidating ninja spedial in front of a jury.