The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 12:08 PM   #26
comn-cents

Since Sig said it was in spec. SHoot the thing, or did you just buy it to look at it?
Old September 21, 2012, 12:30 PM   #27
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Perhaps it is intentional, it looks to me like it matches the end of your extractor. (See photo "A")

If it really bothers you, don't fire it and take it back to your LGS. (You really should inspect the firearms better before you take possession and leave the store if this type of thing bothers you.)

Now, go figure...
Old September 21, 2012, 01:44 PM   #28
polyphemus

It appears that the misalignment is about .040+/- but this is not the issue,what
has been pointed out earlier and rightly so is the fact that the slide can be easily moved while the gun is in battery.If this is not a defect then what is it?
Provided that no foreign objects like shock absorbers or exotic guide rods have
been installed there is no reason for this condition to be present in any M1911
and simple inspection would reject this firearm as unsafe.There is something very wrong with the action,cosmetic issues like blemishes do not affect slide travel or
any other function.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:04 PM   #29
dgludwig

Quote:
Call Sig...if it isn't right, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't fix it, and on their dime too. Rod
I think he said that he did (see post no. 14).
Old September 21, 2012, 08:54 PM   #30
TunnelRat

^ Lol, yup.

Honestly I don't think it's a major issue. For those of you saying that the author is telling us that the gun is easily knocked out of battery I don't see how that's the case at all. To get the slide to line up with the frame would barely require any movement from what I can see in those pictures, shouldn't be enough to affect battery position. But if that was true then that is the point that should be argued with SIG cs more than the appearance.

It's a production 1911, I'm sorry but I'm not sure what was expected here. If you wanted a beautiful example then save up for a Les Baer or Wilson Combat. Those guns would have the level of hand fitting that you are describing and that frankly isn't guaranteed at the price point of this particular handgun.

As for SIG cs, well, I'm not surprised, hence why I did one of these originally.I love my SIGs. But I don't love SIG cs.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 21, 2012, 10:33 PM   #31
745SW

This is, IMO, not going to be an easy or cheap fix. I have multiple S&W 745’s and as previously mentioned one has the same issue as the OP although, after looking at it again instead of from memory, its not nearly as pronounced as that pictured by the OP. I did a barrel swap among my 745’s for the sake of interest.

The 745 is not a 1911 and most likely doesn’t need/have the hand fitting as a 1911 yet like the OP’s 1911 it’s a production gun. The barrel swap made very little difference, actually it made it slightly worse by perhaps less than 0.002”, a difference of 0.001 probably wouldn’t be noticeable.

My guess is having the barrel replaced and/or having it refitted is not going to correct the visual issue. Assuming there are no other issues I would compare the Sig 1911 with an identical model before a decision is made to make any changes to the metal.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:39 PM   #32
comn-cents

Nothing needs fixing so that won't cost much
Old September 22, 2012, 08:10 AM   #33
Hunter Customs

Quote:
As the photos show, the rear of the slide does not align with the rear of the frame. I can grip the pistol in my left hand, and by using just the index finger on my right hand I can easily push the slide back so that it aligns with the frame. It requires no effort to do this.
Cosmetic issues is one thing but what I would be concerned with is the ease at which the slide can be moved to the rear to line up.
This could be the makings of a timing issue and I believe Sig dropped the ball by not having the gun sent to them so they could check it out.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 2, 2012, 05:43 PM   #34
whippoorwill

One Last Try

Just a final note and a question regarding my C3 saga...

After hearing back from CS that the warrenty wouldn't cover the slide to frame fit, I emailed back and asked if they would do the job if I paid for it. Here was the reply...

Quote:
Unfortunately once the gun is completed it cannot be modified after the fact. It is important to inspect firearms prior to taking possession of the firearm from your dealer to make sure that the firearm meets your specifications for fit and finish. The gunsmith here has stated that the firearm meets all factory specs. We apologize that we do not offer a service to change the configuration of your slide and frame for either warranty repair or elective service.
I wrote back a final reply...

Quote:
I'm disappointed that nothing can be done, but you are correct that I should have looked it over better before buying it. Although, sometimes it's difficult to send back a special order for a "minor" issue. I am learning that some manufacturers care more about fit and finish than others. My 1911s from Colt, Kimber, Remington, and Dan Wesson all have frames that match up with the slides. On a positive note, I did take my pistol out on Saturday, and only had one failure to eject. Other than that, it ran well. And, the accuracy was more than I had hoped for. Given the accuracy I got, I can accept a little carelessness in the fitting process. It is a beautiful piece!
By the way, my best group standing at 7 yards measured 5/8" center to center.

So, despite Sig's "To Hell and Back Reliability"... it appears one can't get a Sig to New Hampshire and back!

One question... Is it really true, regarding slide to frame fit at the rear of the two pieces, that "once the gun is completed it cannot be modified after the fact"? I had thought that it was possible, else I would not have asked about paying to have it done.

No need to defend Sig's decision, as I'm sure it will serve me well for a long time.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:47 PM   #35
KyJim

Sure, it's possible. You would have to mill/grind down the back of the frame to fit flush with the slide. It would then have to be refinished. Sig doesn't have a custom shop and doesn't do anything optional. That's why the can't/won't do it. They only could do it if it was out of spec.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:05 PM   #36
whippoorwill

Thanks KyJim. And, in all fairness to Sig, I would guess that most persons would not have noticed the difference in the fit between the slide and frame. Unfortunately for me, I see "minor" things that others don't. My LGS owner can't believe the things I notice, but fortunately, we're still good friends. The only pistol I ever said that I wouldn't accept was a Browning HiPower. It looked as it the lock had banged up against it in shipping. That's one of the reasons I dislike those confounded cable locks.

In any case, I suppose I should have been in quality control somewhere. Instead, I'm a professor. My students don't particularly like my nit-picking either. One of the earlier posters asked me if I wanted to shoot the pistol, or look at it. Both, obviously. I know that many of you can relate to that.

Bottom line regarding the Sig 1911 C3... it's accurate, beautiful, and I really like the commander slide and officer grip combination.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:08 AM   #37
Denezin

I am curious you say it was accurate and reliable. Did you end up shooting it i couldnt find another post that said if you did. Sorry to hear you didnt get what you wanted though
Old October 3, 2012, 05:00 PM   #38
MLeake

In post #34, in his note to SIG, he told them he took it to the range the previous Saturday.