The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Wood Okay?

I am buying this "new" Citori manufactured in 2006. It is a grade one and the wood definitely isn't as nice as some other Citoris of the same vintage but my concern is it the "new" gun is really "new".

Pictures of the right and left butt stock are attached. Focusing on the front portion of the left side, does it appear that finish has been worn off or sanded down? Now look at the same area but near to the comb. I am wondering why the wood looks so different but thinking that is not really a problem.

Perhaps more telling is the appearance near the bottom of the front half of the stock. It looks to me as though there is a pretty definite line where what I will call the regular finisn meets the light finish. The line runs parallel to the bottom of the stock which line.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; November 7, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old November 6, 2011, 05:05 PM   #2
lamarw

To me, it appears to be a lower grade of walnut for this stock. The light areas might well be a softer section of wood like you would find closer to the bark in it's natural state.

Below is a picture of a coffee table I have as an even more extreme example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walnut Table.jpg (227.7 KB, 54 views)
Old November 6, 2011, 05:30 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Lamar. Nice table. My guess is the light wood at the top of the comb is simply from the softer part of the tree nearer to the bark; sap wood. AS for being a lesser cut of maple, I figured that from comparing pics of some other XS Skeets with different grades of wood. What concerns me is if this "new" gun has some reason has the stock sanded down and refinished.
Old November 6, 2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Slugo

nothing at all wrong with that wood! Your mind is playing games with you...
Old November 6, 2011, 05:56 PM   #5
oneounceload

I agree - that wood is just fine- has some nice grain and figure

If you are expecting Exhibition wood, you'll need to pony up another few grand
Old November 6, 2011, 06:26 PM   #6
SmokeyVol

Maple? Looks like walnut to me.
Old November 6, 2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

Looks lovely to me. Gorgeous even. But then I'm used to pathetic synthetic.
Old November 6, 2011, 09:16 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

I mispoke when I said Maple. I am beginning to think the wood is fine, but something is going on with the finish on the left side of the stock. Maybe slugo is right and my mind, or what is left of it, is playing tricks on me.

Since I began digging into this, someone raised a question about the but pad not appearing to be original. It doesn't fit flush with the spacer. Does anyone know if the model even comes standard with a spacer?

The gun also has rings on the face of the breech that indicate that it has been fired.
Old November 7, 2011, 12:48 AM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

That's a nice piece of wood on that Citori...
Old November 7, 2011, 01:50 AM   #10
kozak6

It's entirely plausible that the stock just has an ugly spot.

It looks like there might also be a couple small dings and maybe a scratch on the stock.

Firearms are frequently test fired at the factory, or fired to produce shell casings for state laws, but I don't know how many rounds are necessary to produce firing marks on the breech face.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:15 AM   #11
TheKlawMan

Kozak. I was told by someone that should know that if a gun is test fired at the factory it is not to be sold as "new".
Old November 7, 2011, 09:44 AM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
Kozak. I was told by someone that should know that if a gun is test fired at the factory it is not to be sold as "new".
I would say no - if it hasn't left the factory they can still fire for functionality and safety.

Once it has left the factory, if it has 1 round fired, it is now used
Old November 7, 2011, 12:55 PM   #13
BigJimP

Testing an O/U action is pretty simple ...and the gun doesn't need to have live shells in it - for it to be tested.

out of the 10 or so Browning O/U's that I have - that were purchased new...I don't know that any of them showed any signs of being testfired with live shells .....

but some gun mfg's ( many handgun mfg's like Wilson Combat in Arkansas ) will test fire their guns - and provide a test target attesting to accuracy in that specific weapon - and they are certainly sold as "new guns".
Old November 7, 2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Couzin

Had a few new in the box brownings - never had a ring on the breech that didn't just wipe off. If the ring has worn into the finish, or if there is (significant) wear on the action surfaces - this is probably not a new, new old stock, gun. Have you actually handled this gun? If not (and you are not getting it for a real good price), will the seller take a return after inspection?
Old November 7, 2011, 10:38 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

I cancelled the deal. For serious reasons I think it best that I do not further discuss this gun or its seller.