The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2010, 08:05 AM   #1
catken

Ball extraction

I have yet to have a ball stuck in my 1858 Rem. due to a misfire but when it happens, what is the best way for removal. Ken
Old August 21, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Fiv3

they make a cheap tool called a ball puller. I have also heard that you can carefully tap the ball out from back after unscrewing the nipple.

I would imagine this might be more for the "Oops, I loaded the ball before the powder!" situations.
Old August 21, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
the rifleer

This is NOT the proper way, but i removed the nipple, dumped the powder, measured another charge, then fired it. It worked, however i don't think its the safest way to do it. The manual in my ROA says to unscrew the nipple, dump the powder, then tap it out.
Old August 21, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
kwhi43

I just blow it out with a CO2 despenser. Everyone ought to have one. You
will have to use the Flintlock adapter to go into the nipple. Works fine.

Last edited by kwhi43; August 21, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old August 21, 2010, 11:54 AM   #5
LaserSpot

Quote:
This is NOT the proper way, but i removed the nipple, dumped the powder, measured another charge, then fired it.
This might not work if he's using pellets. What I do (also may not be the proper way) is remove the nipple, put one third of a pinch of powder under it, then put the nipple back in and fire again. If you didn't forget to put powder under the ball, it will probably fire.

EDIT: also pick out the nipple.

If you already left the range/hunting area, I think you need to ball puller or the CO2 discharger: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...824&id=0006480
Old August 21, 2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Pahoo

You are refering to a cap and ball revolver and that solution is different from a rifle or single shot pistol. There was a recent post on this and you may want to refer to it. Basically remove the cylinder and nipple on the bad problem chamber. Then pick out the powder and drive the ball ouit with a wooden dowel. Look for postings from the Hawg man and he suggested a long wood srew, take the bite and pull it out with a pair of plyers.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 21, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old August 21, 2010, 01:17 PM   #7
troy_mclure

i use a brass rod to drive out from the (removed) nipple hole.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old August 21, 2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Troy + 1

Yup.
Old August 21, 2010, 03:41 PM   #9
davem

Same thing, I had a loaded cap and ball I needed to unload and no range in the area, take out the nipples, pour off the powder, use a brass rod.
Old August 21, 2010, 04:21 PM   #10
catken

Ball extraction

Thanks for all your replies: I did not think about pushing it out from the nipple side. Would a brass gun cleaning rod be strong enough to push it out. Also; is it possible for the ball to get stuck in the revolvers barrel. If so, how well do tho ball pullers work. I would think that would be easier than removing the barrel to ram it out. Ken
Old August 21, 2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Hawg

I've done it with a wood screw. Just screw it into ball and pull it out with a pair of vice grips. It isn't hard to do.
Old August 21, 2010, 07:24 PM   #12
TXGunNut

A squib load can be removed from a barrel by inserting a wooden dowel from the muzzle end and pushing it against a hard surface. Removing the cylinder before doing so would avoid the problem referenced earlier. Some folks even make or buy a squib rod with a hardwood ball on one end.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 21, 2010, 07:25 PM   #13
mykeal

Quote:
is it possible for the ball to get stuck in the revolvers barrel. If so, how well do tho ball pullers work. I would think that would be easier than removing the barrel to ram it out. Ken
Removing the barrel from an 1858 Remington isn't a good idea. Nor is it necessary. If Hawg's wood screw won't work, remove the cylinder and just use your brass (or steel or wood) cleaning rod/range rod/tool punch/screwdriver to drive the ball back out the breech end.
Old August 21, 2010, 07:49 PM   #14
catken

Ball Extraction

Thanks again for the replies: I did not know if the ball had to be extracted in the same direction as when it got stuck. Ken
Old August 21, 2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeal
remove the cylinder and just use your brass (or steel or wood) cleaning rod/range rod/tool punch/screwdriver to drive the ball back out the breech end.
I prefer brass or wood over the steel because a wrong whack can make a perfectly good shooter into a gouged wall hanger if one isn't careful with a steel rod when removing a ball from the barrel or cylinder.
Old August 21, 2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Hardcase

What Troy said above - I did that last night with my '51 ASP Navy.