The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2000, 02:36 PM   #1
big89foot

I was getting poor ignition (detonation?) with a light load of H380 and e-mailed Hodgdon for help; they suggested I try Federal primers (hotter, I guess). I am wondering, would Federal magnum primers be even better to get the charge going? Would there be any disadvantage? My original problem was that I would hear the primer detonate and then, a split second later, would hear the main charge go off, (about 10% of the time).
Old September 7, 2000, 06:36 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

You did not mention the caliber that you are loading but seeing that it is H380 I feel certain that it is a rifle caliber. You also did not mention the load but if its much under the starting load given in the manual I would either go higher on the powder or switch to a different type powder. What you are seeing is delayed ignition and not detonation. Detonation destroys rifles (and sometimes the one shooting them). Believe me if it were detonation you would know it real quick like. If you are trying to get a really reduced load or a squib load check some of the manuals and use some pistol powder at the charges recomended. H380 is not that slow a powder and usually detonation will occur with slow burning powders I would not take a chance. The labs heve never been able to duplicate detonation but in my old feeble mind there is enough evidence to support the belief that it does occur and I will not go much under a posted starting load. After 30 years in the oilfield and40 years reloading I still have all 10 fingers and I kind of plan on keeping them.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old September 8, 2000, 07:05 AM   #3
big89foot

Thanks for the reply.
It's for a 6.5 Swede. My load is right at the starting level according to the Hodgdon recommendation, but this is way below starting in the Lyman manual (?). I guess what I'll do is go to a moderate level by Hodgdon (38 grains H380 w/140gr bullet) and try the regular Federal primers. I won't go to magnum unles some of the more experienced loaders here think it's a good idea. By the way, the MAX load recommended by Hodgdon is below starting in the Lyman manual.
Old September 8, 2000, 12:06 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

The Hodgdon Manual is probably newer than the Lyman. It seems that all the newer manuals show a lot lighter loads than the older ones. Some of it may have to do with better instruments to measure pressure but I think a lot has to do with liability issues. I would not hesitate to use the starting load in the Lyman manual with STANDARD primers and go from there. IMHO any starting load in any reputable manual, in a decent firearm, is probably safe, if the book is followed.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old September 8, 2000, 02:13 PM   #5
big89foot

OK, I've just spent a couple of hours doing internet research and think I've found the answer. Three different sources have indicated that H380 is particularly difficult to ignite and that magnum primers are often/usually recommended.
Old September 8, 2000, 03:22 PM   #6
LIProgun

Having used H380 for .30-'06, I remember well that the Speer reloading manuals recommend magnum primers for this powder. I have never had a problem with H380 and CCI large magnum rifle primers.
Old September 8, 2000, 08:06 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Myabe the reason I never had ignition problems with H380 is that the only round that I ever used it in was 22-250. Must be that the smaller case kept it right up against the flash hole.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert