The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 17, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1
k_dawg

News Flash: "Assault Weapons" already a felony in Conn

The mainstream media and the politicians are desperately trying to cover this fact up.

Posession of an Assault Weapon is already a Felony in the State of Conneticut

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/Ch...Sec53-202c.htm
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
Old December 17, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
rebs

The gun they pulled out of the trunk of his car did not look like an AW, it looked more like a shotgun the way the trooper pumped it to empty the chamber. Was an AW even used ?
Old December 17, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs
The gun they pulled out of the trunk of his car did not look like an AW, it looked more like a shotgun the way the trooper pumped it to empty the chamber. Was an AW even used ?
The gun in the trunk of the car was a Saiga shotgun. The shooter used either a Bushmaster AR-15 or a Bushmaster M4gery. The OP is correct -- Connecticut has a state AWB in force, and has had it since before the expiration of the Federal AWB in 2004. The police have already confirmed that the weapons were stolen from the mother, who bought and owned them legally. That makes the math easy.

Assault weapons = illegal

Weapons used = legal

Legal =/= illegal

Ergo (can't do the math symbol for that in plain text): Weapons used =/= assault weapons.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; December 17, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
nate45

≠ Like This?
Old December 17, 2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The mainstream media and the politicians are desperately trying to cover this fact up.
Given that Governor Malloy pointed out Connecticut's AWB in his news conference this afternoon, that's a pretty sloppy coverup.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:57 PM   #6
SPEMack618

I wouldn't call it a cover up, but What Tom said about Governor Malloy's comments are the first I've heard of it, so I would say that the media is leaving it out of thier coverage, presumably because it doesn't fit with thier narrative.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
≠ Like This?
No, I was referring to the pyramid one with a single dot over two dots, indicating the logical conclusion of the progression. Like this, but on one line, and with the upper dot centered between the lower two:

. .
Old December 17, 2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Conn. Trooper

He used a Bushmaster XM15, a Glock 20 in 10mm, and a Sig 226 in 9mm. The shotgun was not used.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:00 PM   #9
nate45

Oh
Old December 17, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Dr Big Bird PhD

Wait so the XM15 was used? I heard from another source he only used the pistols.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 17, 2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Conn. Trooper

He used the Bushmaster on the victims, and the Glock on himself. Quite possibly the worst thing I have seen in 16 years of LE. Over 150 rounds fired. The major crime squad is still on scene counting spent rounds and bullet strikes.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Technosavant

Given that CT has an AWB, were there even "high capacity" magazines used?
Old December 17, 2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Conn. Trooper

There is no ban in CT on high cap mags. He had 9 loaded Pmags on him. The Sig I didn't personally see, but it had 20 round mags, so maybe the Tac-Ops?
Old December 18, 2012, 07:32 AM   #14
bitttorrrent

I still can't even look at the news fully, but did read how this kid had augsburger syndrome and was messed up.

Even the most strict laws were evaded by stealing from (parent) could be anyone.

My question:
If Mother knew this kid was unstable, how could she leave the weapons without proper locks or in safe? I think the Mother is just as liable as the messed up kid. She knew what she was doing. The kid obviously did not and was not thinking like a normal human being.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:56 AM   #15
tyme
Staff

bittorrent, it's "Asperger" Syndrome. It's a questionable diagnosis; I heard they removed Asperger's from the DSM as of DSM-V, and some people think Asperger's is a kind of high-functioning autism.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old December 18, 2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Stressfire

Quote:
Over 150 rounds fired
True, but according to the media as of this morning - he "only had to reload twice because he had 'high-capacity' 30 round magazines"

Quote:
That makes the math easy.
Seems math is a weak point for a lot of people.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Rifleman1776

The word "weapon" is not defined in Federal law. A weapon, by dictionary definition is any item used offensively or defensively on another person. So, a rock can be a weapon. A firearm becomes a weapon if used upon another person. The appearance of the firearm does not define it as a weapon.
Federal BATF regs do define an "assualt rifle". That definition requires it to be full automatic.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:07 AM   #18
nate45

Unfortunately, Asperger's or not, most school shooters are out cast loners. Most of them are, or have been medicated. Its not just school shooters look at the loon Loughner and the Aurora theater shooter.

What do we do about it? I don't know, but there is no getting around the common profile.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Stressfire

Quote:
Federal BATF regs do define an "assualt rifle". That definition requires it to be full automatic.
Isn't that why they had to go with "assault weapon?" That can be defined however is convenient at the time since no actual definition exists. It covers rifles, pistols, and shotguns across the board with certain features.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:38 AM   #20
Patriot86

I haven’t had "augsburger" syndrome since they stopped brewing it 10 years ago.

Ok enough off color humor; I have been reading so much crazy stuff about this kid all of it can't be true. I ever read yesterday the shooter had some kind of disorder where he could not feel pain? So he burned himself with lighters to try and feel pain? Sounds like this guy was a good candidate for some kind of permanent residential treatment.

Bottom line, the shooter was really mentally screwed up. It could be argued that it was irresponsible for the mother to give a mentally disturbed individual access to her weapons, but she paid the price for that already and I am not one to rag on the departed.
Assault weapons ban or not the law actually "worked". The shooter tried to buy a rifle but reportedly walked off once he learned of the waiting period. This is a case where perhaps the waiting period “worked”.

Last edited by Patriot86; December 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot86 View Post
Assault weapons ban or not the law actually worked. The shooter tried to buy a rifle but reportedly walked off once he learned of the waiting period. This is a case where perhaps the waiting period “worked”.
You've got to be kidding! The purpose of the law is to prevents murders. He killed 26 people! Just because he didn't buy the gun doesn't mean anything "worked".

This situation demonstrates the idiocy of that law. It didn't "work" for anything except making a bunch of NON-murders wait to get guns that they were using for lawful purposes.

The murder just got the gun a different, illegal way. This law (like all laws) only effects people who FOLLOW laws!
Old December 18, 2012, 10:32 AM   #22
Patriot86

Thats why "worked" is in quotes; I probably should have used the pink italics as well....yes the guy did not buy the rifle from a gun store because of the waiting period; instead he killed his mother and took her guns accomplishing the same endgame.

To clairify; Waiting periods DO NOT work; even when they do “work” deranged individuals will find a way to get firearms. Some will argue and have been arguing this proves the validity of waiting periods.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:41 AM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ah! Yes, I would recommend the rolleyes smilie for that context.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:42 AM   #24
stargazer65

Mostly the CT AWB is just a silly "scary looking" gun law. It just restricts the number of "scary" features (two I think) that long guns can have. Like you can have a pistol grip and flash arrestor, but since that's two "scary" features, you can't also have a bayonet lug on the same gun. For the most part I can buy the same guns here as elsewhere with only minor (mostly cosmetic) differences.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:45 AM   #25
Conn. Trooper

He was even wearing ear plugs. Definitely prepared , sadly.
Closed Thread