The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1
RedStateRon

Help with 1952 Belgium Browning superposed

Had not shot this gun in 15 years; the barrel selector switch (O, U and S) did not seem to work today as I envisioned. It would not automatically allow me to shoot the second barrel regardless of which barrel was selected first,. It fired whichever barrel i had selected, but would not "advance" to the next shell. It appeared the trigger did not reset. I have no manual and do not know how to break down the trigger mechanism ( or even if I should)

After the shoot, took home, cleaned and oiled as best I could. The trigger would reset when dry fired only when I manually moved the selector . It would not reset it when on range and shells were in the chambers. Perhaps it will now when actually shot, but do not know.

What is the solution?
Old December 4, 2011, 08:24 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings Ron, and welcome aboard.

I've never owner a FN Browning, does it have an inertia trigger (the recoil of the first shot sets the second sear)? Try lightly bumping the butt on the floor after you drop the first hammer, it should be enough to set the second one if it has an inertia trigger.

With my inertia trigger P-guns, when casing the guns: With the barrels removed, I put a plastic mallet over the firing pin hole and then pull the trigger to decompress the hammer spring. Then, I bump the butt with the heal of my palm and repeat the process on the second hammer spring. The mallet acts like a snap cap.
Old December 5, 2011, 02:13 AM   #3
.300 Weatherby Mag

Zippy & Ron,

The Belgian Superposed has an inertia trigger... So he will need to bump the butt on the ground... I generally tap the butt of the gun on my foot to reset it to fire the other barrel..
Old December 5, 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
oneounceload

MOST have an inertia trigger - a few have the mark V mechanical, but those were typically on high-end target versions. Slapping your palm, bumping the ground (never liked that, might damage stock), or simply switching selector can all work to fire the second trigger. In this case, it wounds like something is worn if firing does not enough inertia to set the trigger

Unless there is trapping of the trigger going on...............
Old December 5, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
oregunner

It sounds like your problem actually occured while shooting, not when dry firing. If that is the case, that should have reset the inertial trigger. If the gun had sat a long time, a good cleaning might have solved the problem. If not and you are mechanically inclined, remove the stock and watch how the trigger works. If inertial block isn't moving freely, it might be easy to lubricate and free up, or it might need a trip to a good gunsmith. Good luck. Mark
Old December 5, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Slugo

Take it to a qualified gunsmith. Don't play with the innards if you don't know what to look for. Remember, Belgian built Brownings are hand assembled and fitted, necessitating special skills to refit new parts...
Old December 5, 2011, 12:47 PM   #7
zippy13

Since the gun had not been shot in 15-years, let's hope the only problem is coagulated lube or other muck. I've had an inertial block get sluggish in much less time.