The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2010, 07:11 PM   #1
WANT A LCR 22LR

Making 38 / 357 blanks?

Does a die exist to make a star crimp on a 38 / 357? I'm looking for something to do with my end cracked brass. ( and something different to do )
Old October 30, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Uncle Buck

Go to this website: http://www.ch4d.com/

On the left side of the page you'll see a list of categories. Scroll down until you get to Specialty dies. They are a bit on the expensive side, but this company has a very good reputation.

You could take short cuts and I have seen recommendations for putting a piece of cardboard to Styrofoam in the end of the cartridge. This is a very bad idea. Blanks can be dangerous and there is no need to take a chance of someone getting hurt by something comming flying out the end of your barrel.

Good Luck.
Old October 30, 2010, 09:05 PM   #3
WANT A LCR 22LR

Thanks for the link. I'd still observe live ammo in a gun handling even if firing blanks. There is shove and shoot PD training where the person being attacked shoves the attacker to gain some separation then shoots. Doing this with live ammo seems dangerous as one can shoot their own hand. ( this is done using a portable target stand I'm told )
Old October 30, 2010, 10:31 PM   #4
medalguy

At one time many years ago I trained Labs to not respond to gunfire by shooting .38 Special blanks right at their sides. As I recall, those blanks had a cardboard cap over the end of the case so I would think that would be OK to use. Charge the case with your powder charge, use something like polyfill to fill up the case, insert the cardboard disk, then seal the case with some type of lacquer around the edge of the disk, and apply a severe crimp.
Old October 31, 2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

Medalguy, I understand what you are saying. In your case it was you and the dog. I know you were not going to shoot the dog.

I know guys who have made blanks to scare birds out of the fields, and I think that is the method they used.

The crimping die is designed to hold back enough pressure so you have a loud bang when it goes off, and no projectiles coming out the barrel. I have heard of people being killed using blank ammo to close to someone body. (For those interested, google Does Blank Ammo Kill.)

During training, my boss was shot in the hand with a blank round. The weapon had a blank adapter on it. It (the gasses) went in through the palm of his hand and caused a big bubble on the back of his hand. (His son wanted to know if they had to cut the hand off, could he take it to school for show and tell. )

Blanks can be dangerous and I have seen people treat them like they are just a toy now, not a weapon.

You could always try just the primers with no projectile or powder. Again, I do think you would still have stuff exiting the barrel.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:45 AM   #6
whipper

+1 for Uncle Buck,
If you use just a primer (a magnum primer will make it louder) it would be safer.

Speer makes plastic bullets that you can shoot in the garage or basement. You can use your old cases instead of buying the plastic one’s, all you would need to get would be the plastic bullets.

Even with just a primer they will tear up a phone book in a short time.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:48 AM   #7
whipper

Cool I just noticed we are all Zombies today. Lol
Old October 31, 2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
Blanks can be dangerous and I have seen people treat them like they are just a toy now, not a weapon.
Always a good time for a Hexum reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum
Old October 31, 2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Stargazer

I used CH4D dies to make AK rifle grenade launching rounds. Works great even on steel cases. Crimp em' shut and seal them with thickened fingernail polish. I used Unique as does one blank cartridge maker that sells blanks and launching cartridges. Works great with no filler needed. The dies are top quality.

M70 Web Page