The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1
NightSight

Strategic Placement of Weapons

A few questions for you all. I know people who have weapons placed about every 5 feet or so throughout their house. I am trying to get a gauge as to what the norm is. I know there are some out there that will keep their carry weapons on them in the house as well, but then again, I am sure there are others who do not. So...

How do you strategically place your weapons throughout your house??

Is one on each floor sufficient?? One in each room?? Just one in the bedroom?? Different types in different locations??

How do you secure these satellite weapons??

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old July 31, 2009, 03:19 PM   #2
tmd11111

Quote:
I know people who have weapons placed about every 5 feet or so throughout their house
A little paranoid are we !!!

This sounds more like an accident waiting to happen then HD.
Old July 31, 2009, 03:25 PM   #3
NightSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd11111
A little paranoid are we !!!
Some might consider owning a gun at all paranoid. Others do not. It's all relative. I'll mark you down as someone who thinks that one every 5 feet is excessive .

Some people want the assurance of having a gun close by at all times, but like to have lounge wear on at home. After all, they have just lugged that uncomfortable piece of steel in their pants for 8-10 hours. Besides, if you have the guns, the money for safe storage, and live alone, why not??
Old July 31, 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

My beef with keeping weapons in various locations around the house is that they could fall into the hands of the intruder they were meant to stop. Plus I think it's a little unnecessary. If you CCW and you're that concerned about it just keep your CCW on you at home. As for me, one gun upstairs and one gun downstairs is sufficient.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old July 31, 2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Southern Rebel

Quote:
Some might consider owning a gun at all paranoid. Others do not. It's all relative. I'll mark you down as someone who thinks that one every 5 feet is excessive
Interesting thought. I guess that means that as long as we can stay between "Totally Naive" and "Totally Paranoid", we are normal - it's just that some of are more normal than others?

Now all that is left is for some social scientist to produce a chart that will intertwine all the relative factors such as neighborhood, individual situational awareness quotient, and our structural environment. (Now that gives me a headache!)

I used to have just one gun in the house - in the bedroom. Then a comment on a gun forum a couple of years ago greatly influenced me. The comment was basically that if you feel the need to have a gun in your house, you should also feel the need to have immediate access to it. I now subscribe to that theory. I have one in the bedroom, one in the den, and one that I carry if I am not gonna be located in one of those two rooms for an extended time. (ie sleeping, computering, coach-potato practicing). The carry is just a pocket pistol, but still better than nothing.

I am probably a little closer to paranoid than naive , but I just think of it as being a little more prepared than maybe I have to be. I relate it to my paranoid habit of carrying a decent amount of cash around with me. It just gives me a "comfort zone" within which I am content.
Old July 31, 2009, 04:29 PM   #6
bigghoss

I strategically place it in the holster on my hip
Old July 31, 2009, 05:17 PM   #7
NightSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Rebel
Interesting thought. I guess that means that as long as we can stay between "Totally Naive" and "Totally Paranoid", we are normal - it's just that some of are more normal than others?
Once again, normal is a severely relative term. As an old football coach once told me, "We are all messed up, just some of us are more messed up than others." Of course I changed the language to appease the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUeagle1089
My beef with keeping weapons in various locations around the house is that they could fall into the hands of the intruder they were meant to stop.
I agree. That's one point that I brought up with
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSight
How do you secure these satellite weapons??
I'll toss out an answer to my own question. One solution that I have considered is placing a gun vault in a closet on each floor. Any thoughts??

Last edited by NightSight; July 31, 2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old July 31, 2009, 05:36 PM   #8
riggins_83

I'd rather just leave it on my hip at home versus having one every 5 feet. Get to it faster anyway!
Old July 31, 2009, 05:45 PM   #9
jimbob86

Mine are strategicly placed in my safe.......
Old July 31, 2009, 05:59 PM   #10
lomaxanderson

one floor home ....3 locations works for me...if you don't know where to look you would not find them causally...

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old July 31, 2009, 07:22 PM   #11
armsmaster270

Oh my hip is fine I've done it since 1968 a few more years won't matter.
Old July 31, 2009, 09:57 PM   #12
EricReynolds

GSUeagle makes a very valid point. My guns are all secured in my bedroom. When I'm home at night, I tend to watch tv in my chair next to the front window and I watch all sorts of assorted creatures of the night walk by my house. I keep a gun with me then. I lock it up in the safe when I hit the hay. I can't keep anything stashed around the house for another reason. I have 2 small children. Especially with my son, it would be a serious liability. At 2 1/2, he's already one of us. He likes his guns. I find his toys around the house eough. He doesn't need to find mine.
Old July 31, 2009, 10:16 PM   #13
27Veer

I agree with keeping the loaded piece on me, the others are locked up.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:58 AM   #14
Sixer

If it's not on my hip then it's somewhere in reach. I keep all but my CCW locked up. I can see the benefits of having a couple guns secured throughout the home (ie kitchen, upstairs, entryway, etc.) but every 5 feet is a bit excessive IMO. Let's say you live in an average size house, maybe 1500 - 2000 sq ft... That's a lot of hidden guns

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old August 1, 2009, 06:04 AM   #15
scottaschultz

Quote:
I know people who have weapons placed about every 5 feet or so throughout their house.
If you have that much fear and that much money... MOVE!!!

Scott
Old August 1, 2009, 06:07 AM   #16
JustDreadful

One upstairs, one downstairs. When I go to bed, the "downstairs" gun goes upstairs, and gets locked in a GunVault. The "upstairs" gun is my CCW, so it goes with me when I leave the house.

Everything else in the big safe. No unsecured guns when I'm not home.

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."
Old August 1, 2009, 08:37 AM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

Due to the fact that I live in a rental property I keep one weapon. My carry gun. If it is not on my body it is within reach at all times. I have had guns stolen from my apartment once by one of the employees there, so I learned the lesson the hard way. Also I live 3 blocks from a halfway house for newly released felons, and directly behind a "no tell motel" so I just keep one to prevent a theft of my firearms from happening again.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:29 AM   #18
curt.45

Quote:
After all, they have just lugged that uncomfortable piece of steel in their pants for 8-10 hours.
really, truly its not all that heavy and I carry a big old bulky P-90, dosen't bother me one bit.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Bismarck357

I keep my SA XD40sc on my person at all times, I keep all my rifles in my armory/office,on my night stand sits my S&W 640 and my XD40. Next to my night stand is my Remington tactical 12 gadge pump and my grandfather's old doublebarrel coach gun.On my wife's nightstand sits her Kahr CW40 and her old Taurus M85. In the master bathroom I keep a .25 Raven auto next to the crapper. In the kitchen in the back of the silverwear drawr I keep a loaded S&W 686. I think that about covers it.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:37 AM   #20
curt.45

a .25 raven in the crapper, sorry that just cracks me up.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:40 AM   #21
ammo.crafter

around the house

keep two me and my wife prefer to have them handy but stashed were we know we they are.
As for kids.they should be taught how they operate and the destructive power contained within.
Knowledge is safety.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:43 AM   #22
Bud Helms

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaschultz

Quote:
I know people who have weapons placed about every 5 feet or so throughout their house.
If you have that much fear and that much money... MOVE!!!

Scott
Making some assumptions, aren't we? What makes you think it's based on fear?

I don't and probably wouldn't have firearms spaced all over the house like that, but I do see an assumption here on your part.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:28 AM   #23
OldMarksman
Staff

I read an article on the Charter Arms .44 By bart Skelton or Jim Wilson (I think) in which the author said he intended to buy another one to keep in a second location.

I started thinking about that (would have used quick combo safes) and decided that while having two or three guns in different locations would be better than having one upstairs, there was no really good answer other than a pocket holster.

Before coming to that conclusion, I must confess that I saw a post asking about who carried at home. Wow! I thought that was the ultimate in paranoia!

But think about it. It's accessible to me and not to others.

There was an episode of The Best Defense in which there was a dramatization of a woman hearing glass break and racing a home invader toward the bedroom to get to her gun. She made it--but the skit substantiates my thinking, at least to me--and for my particular house layout.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:40 AM   #24
ranchman

I think it all depends on your situation really. I personally keep one in the bedroom of course. But as far as the rest of the house there are three levels. I keep a shotty on every floor loaded ready to go. The rest are locked up in the vault. You can never be to careful. If you have a bunch of kids you have to get creative or just not keep anything out.

Every 5 feet? I dont know where that person lives but that is a lot of guns through out the house to be accessed to. We all hope we dont ever have to use them but it happens every day.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:54 AM   #25
Mello2u

Keeping several loaded weapons throughout the house can be complicated by the presence of others. Others being anyone but the owner of the guns. A spouse with the proper mental attitude and training is not a problem. The same for your children of a certain age (depends on the individual) with the proper mental attitude and training. Children certainly complicate matters. If their age is in the single digits they might not be able to be trusted to properly follow the safety rules all of the time.

If they or you have guests over, are you going to do a "gun round-up"? What if you have a service call? What if the neighbors drop over? What if you kids have a friend drop by? Hum, did I get all of them of is there one still stuffed in the couch/lazyboy/bookshelf?

Seems to me the best solution to having a firearm available is to carry it in a holster on your person. When I'm dressed I'm carrying a full sized 1911. That way a handgun is never out of reach.

I'm a "no" on placing several guns around the home.
" Frederic Bastiat