The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2009, 01:31 AM   #26
marshmanjr

They are talking about how the ram squares up with the die. The turrets have a small bit of play in them. But also these two guys are machinist that deal with 1/1000ths of an inch, so I bet they see a 1/64 of movement in the turret it is off square to them. And I wasn't saying that the breech lock feature made it smoother, I just didn't know how easy it was to change out dies compared to the orginal design.
Old January 21, 2009, 07:11 AM   #27
FatWhiteMan

Someone mentioned calipers. If you are going to load rifle, you really need calipers. Harbor Freight has a digital pair for under $20.

Oh, and calipers. Did I mention you need calipers?
Old January 21, 2009, 07:34 AM   #28
wwmkwood

The Classic turret does have a little give at the top of the stroke when the turret seats. When loading different brands of brass I have noticed up to .005 differences in bullet seating depths. I can live with that for blasting ammo. Using matched cases and slowly seating the bullets gives consistant OAL, just being aware of the tendency for the turret to seat in the lugs and the weight of the turret being enough to seat a bullet has greatly increased the consistancy of my loads.
Old January 21, 2009, 08:07 AM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
Ok I am driving myself crazy now.

It is a toss up between in the two presses now. Wish I could make up my mind, both are great presses and i really don't mind sitting around making ammo, knowing that I am saving money.

Any thought on the matter and i would be grateful.
Your first idea to go with the Classic Turret was (IMO) by FAR the better choice. The breech lock challenger is a rather flimsy press.

While it's true that the kit comes with a number of useful things and you will absolutely save some money, the difference in quality between the presses is like night and day. As for the versatility and swappability of the breech lock challenger, that can't compare to the classic turret.

With the challenger, a quick twist and the die comes out. With the classic turret, you have all three dies (or four) already in there, so you don't even need to swap out a die. And if you want to change calibers, you lift out the entire turret with the dies already loaded.

The breech lock challenger isn't half the machine that the classic turret is. You'll have a much better, more sturdy and more versatile press than your buddy with the challenger.

Some questions and decisions are tough ones... this one is not.
Old January 21, 2009, 05:10 PM   #30
rodfac

I've loaded since I was 13...first press was a Herter's #3 and I still use it. Runout figures for it would astound you...less than .004" generally. I paid the princely sum of $13 for it. I now use two Dillion 550B's, one in small primer persuasion and the other set up for large. For revolver and pistol ammunition they are the worth the price. For rifle I use a Harrell's turret...very expensive and worth every penny. I've had a Lee Loadmaster for ten years, loaded a lot of pistol ammunition on it and finally retired it after replacing the primer plastic parts uncountable times. I'd give it to anyone who'd pick it up here in La grange KY. FAR MORE TROUBLE THAN IT WAS WORTH....and this from a guy who has 12 sets of Lee dies, most all of the trimmers and one who absolutely raves about their auto prime tool. But again, with the primer tool, pot metal and breakage is the rule...IT ALWAYS Breaks. Lee is good on the phone, responds to complaints but has not upgraded the materials they put into their parts. Wish I'd spent the over $200 for the Harrell a long time ago, and the Dillion's are light years ahead of the Lee progressives in quality. Just my opinons...I've done it for 50 years now so I'm kind of settled in what I like. I just don't want to put up with cr-p anymore. Regards Rodfac
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:28 PM   #31
BigJakeJ1s

Sport,

Show me a cartridge "as long as" a 50 BMG (their words) that has dies that will fit in the turret. If you don't have the dies, you cannot reload in their press. They know no such cartridge exists, but they continue to spout the BS.

Andy
Old January 21, 2009, 11:34 PM   #32
Sport45

Of course it's BS.

Is this the first time you've seen a company play with words to put a positive spin on their product?