The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2002, 09:43 PM   #1
DE50

Installing Kahr Sights

Does anyone know of a Night Sight Installation tool other than the $350.00 one that Mepro offers to install Kahr Night Sights? If not, can someone recommend how to install the sights on a Kahr MK9?
Old January 8, 2002, 09:24 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DE50, I made a flat replacement for the 2-pronged front of my Williams sight pusher that allows it's use on auto pistols. It's worked on every flatsided slide so far. I would think it would work on the MK9 as well. The Williams pusher costs about $40. George
Old January 8, 2002, 09:22 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

I'd think real hard about sending it in to Kahr for installation. I've hears entirely TOO many horror stories about how tight and hard to replace Kahr sights are. I've read one man's tale of having to cut the sights to get them out.
I've heard accounts from some very competent 'smiths about Kahr's, and I'd tend to believe them.
Old January 11, 2002, 03:47 PM   #4
DE50

Thanks for the info but I prefer not to send it to Kahr as they told me it might be there for a couple of weeks. I have changed sights in the past and George's tool sounds like would fill me sight needs. I would send it to the factory before I would even attempt to cut the sights off.

Dfariswheel, would you mind telling me what kind of accounts have you have heard from 'smiths about the Kahrs?
Old January 11, 2002, 09:10 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

I've read a number of accounts online, and I know several 'smiths who've told me horror stories.
Also, after hearing these stories, I experimented with my K9. All I can say, is that Kahr doesn't want the sight to fall off the gun. Those suckers are TIGHT.

My sight tool started to BEND, and the sights still didn't move. I've been at this for a good number of years, and I've never seen any kind of dovetail sights like this. I suspect Kahr may use a heat/cold press fit, or other "shrink to fit" method.

To be fair, one smith I know says he's had no trouble on the several he's fitted.
I can say that if you give them a good rap, and they don't move, DON'T start beating on them. because the sight will upset and jam even tighter, plus you will scar either the sights or the slide.