The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2013, 06:55 PM   #1
skizzums

Reasonable Alloy Prices

hey guys, i am considering parting with some of my lead, but i have no idea what to charge for it. it's all ww and tape weights poured into muffin ingots. i have poured them seperately and marked them. i can tell the tape weight are much purer because they pour so much shinier. but, just curious, if you were to sell your lead stash, what would you charge per #?? i have seen it commercially for sale for up ro 2 dollars per #, but that just seems ridiculous.

i apologize, i meant for this to be a new thread.
Old September 17, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Rangefinder

WW ingots generally go for about $1 a pound shipped. FYI, you can get about 60# reinforced into a MFRB. That's generally what I use to sell it for-- $60 for a MFRB shipped.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
skizzums

sounds good, appreciate it.
Old September 17, 2013, 11:24 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Shipping rates have gone up, and alloy is selling for a bit more.

Right now, I'd charge no less than $1 / lb for clip-ons. But, cutting a little slack on shipping could be an option.
For a MFRB, I'd charge no less than $70 shipped, with a guarantee of 60 lbs ... if I wanted to sell it fairly quickly.
If I wasn't in a hurry, I'd ask for a little more.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:12 PM   #5
skizzums

cool, thanks guys.
Old September 19, 2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

Personally I would just stash it in the corner somewhere, not like it is going to spoil, and it doesn't take up much room either, well depending on the amount.

I have little piles stuck into nooks and crannies, and even have hauled some up to the farm and stashed it in my storage shed. I figured that with the current environmental kooks, and they way we seem to be selling everything to other countries as fast as folks can ship it, what I have might come in handy one day. Like I read elsewhere, it might even be used as a barter item if needed.

I just opened up a couple of boxes and they haven't left for the recycle bin just yet. If you wold like I can shoot you a picture of how they were packed so you have an idea of how to do it so as not to have them come apart mid shipment.

I can say this however, with what I have purchased, the angle iron type molded bars ship far better than the muffin types do. Just way easier to pack them so they can't move. Trust me if they CAN move they WILL move and once they start it seems they keep it up.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7
skizzums

you know, i really really wanna buy one of those squareback VEPR 54r's from centerfire before they are sold out. there will be no more once they are gone. i need to sell some thing to justify to the wife me spending 800$ for a rifle. i really hate selling the lead, but i have a pretty easy time gettin WW here in ga.

p.s. apparently there is a new U.N. rule that is stopping the export of the squareback vepr's, you will still be able to get them, but only with aftermarket furniture which increases the cost from 750$ to at least 1100$
Old September 21, 2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Boomer58cal

Quote:
Personally I would just stash it in the corner somewhere, not like it is going to spoil, and it doesn't take up much room either, well depending on the amount.

I have little pilesstuck into nooks and crannies, and even have hauled some up to the farm and stashed it in my storage shed. I figured that with the current environmental kooks, and they way we seem to be selling everything to other countries as fast as folks can ship it, what I have might come in handy one day. Like I read elsewhere, it might even be used as a barter item if needed.
My thoughts exactly. Over the next 10 years or so lead is going to get very hard to find. With the dirt worshippers trying to ban the production and sale of lead and all that.

I have 6-700 pounds that's stashed away, but I'd like it to be about twice that. That's just me.

I've never paid over a dollar a pound.

Just my 2 cents.

Boomer
Old September 22, 2013, 03:42 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Yeah!

What Boomer said about what Mike said.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:38 PM   #10
skizzums

i missed the boat on the vepr's

on the plus side.....i dont have to sell my lead, and i built my first ar instead for a few hundred cheaper (so no angry wifey)

i just had to promise the next gun is her choice, with no input from me, i'll admit.....i'm a little worried