The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

when & on what did the Military start crimping primers ???

was going through some old ammo off my shelves the other day, reboxing some 30 carbine ammo, & noted I had some LC-52 & I started wondering if this had crimped primers, then found a box of WCC-43 hmm same question...

I have a several ammo cans of older military brass to process, so curious if they ever crimped primers on the 30 carbine, & if so, when did they begin ???

did they ever make 223 without crimped primers ??? how about 30-06 ??? I'm guessing all military 308 have been crimped because they are newer ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 18, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Rottweiler

The idea of crimping the primers in place was originally done to prevent a primer from popping out and falling into some tight little spot in a machine gun causing a nasty jam at the worst possible time. I don't know exactly when or who came up with this idea, but it has been in practice since before WWII.

That being said, the only timesI've had a primer pop out of a round was brass that had seen multiple reloadings, never an unfired or once fired case.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

so realistically all the 30 carbine ( because of the M-2 ) would have crimped primers ???

how about '06 ???
Old February 18, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

.30-06 has had crimped primers at least since WW I. Can't say about .30 carbine.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

The original impetus for crimping primers was with the widescale adoption of automatic weapons.

It became really important, and you started to see widespread crimping among most nations, when aircraft armament started moving into the wings. It was impossible to clear a jam in a wing gun, so many steps were taken to reduce the possibility, including primer crimps.

I THINK the US started routinely crimping primers on just about all ammo in the 1920s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

so... sounds like all my old milsurp ammo & or cases are going to have crimped primers ( good thing I have large & small primer pocket swag tools )... even though, I'm sure they never wing mounted something like an M-2 in 30 carbine
Old February 18, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

No, they didn't, but they did use fully auto .30 Carbines, the M2.

It became common practice, at least in the US, to start crimping everything military, probably because it didn't add any time at all to the loading process and it, again, removed one possible failure vector.

Old February 18, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

so how about older cartridges ???

45-70 for gattling guns ( I assume crimp free )

the original 30 caliber rifle cartridges ( pre '06 )

the SL cartridges ( 35 & 40 )

45 acp for tommy guns... any of these ever been crimped ???
Old February 18, 2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

.45-70. No. I've never found any indication that they were at any point in their manufacture.

.30-40, again no, none of my military examples are crimped.

SL cartridges, by which I take it to mean the Winchester commercial self loading rifle cartridges. No, very few, if any, commercial cartridges were ever crimped.

.45 ACP. Yes, I believe the military used a crimp on .45 ACP starting in the late 1930s.

Old February 18, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the replys... just needed info to keep in the back of my mind, as I process my brass ( my new hobby... decapping, polishing, & getting all my brass ready to reload )... at least until I can start buying primers again...