The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 9, 2011, 09:24 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Is it possible to buy a barrel in Germany while on vacation and bring it back ?

I know someone who flys to Germany regularly.

I am wondering if it's possible for her to pick me up a 10" Glock barrel made by IGB.

I'm not sure what all is involved in getting it back into the states or if it's even possible.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2
PTK

Why not just call the BATFE and ask them directly? It tends to be a good idea to ask those who enforce the law if what you want to do is legal. For what it's worth, they've helped me repeatedly in the past, and are extremely friendly and helpful.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:50 AM   #3
chack

My understanding is that in Germany, the barrel is the regulated item instead of the receiver like in the US. If that's the case I assume you won't be able to buy one there much less bring it into the US.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
gyvel

I believe, as far as the U.S. is concerned, it's just a part that's not regulated by any laws here.

There is a distributor in Canada, but they sure are expensive.

I guess the plasma treatment allows you to shoot lead reloads safely in a Glock.

Getting it legally in Germany, however, is another matter. Don't know German laws regarding barrels.

Last edited by gyvel; August 18, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:50 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

All firearms and parts are heavily controlled anywhere in Europe. Your buddy wouldn't be allowed to buy anything without a German export permit and very likely a U.S. import permit.
The ATF doesn't have anything to do with import/export regulations.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

TO is right, buying it in Germany then trying to ship it will consume your vacation going through red tape.
Then to get it into the U.S. the Customs Service could get you embroiled in a whole 'nuther set of complications.
IMHO, not worth the bother.
Old August 19, 2011, 10:25 AM   #7
mapsjanhere

In Germany, most gun parts are regulated as "vital parts", including all barrels. You can only buy the barrel when you have an entry for the gun in your gun ID card.
Old August 20, 2011, 11:22 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
Then to get it into the U.S. the Customs Service could get you embroiled in a whole 'nuther set of complications.
I don't think the U.S. cares at all about barrels, do they?
Old August 20, 2011, 11:32 AM   #9
PTK

What laws we have concerning items made and already imported and transferred inside this country are vastly different than those of importation and exportation themselves - getting items from overseas, even if they aren't regulated here, can prove to be frustrating.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Rifleman1776

Quote:
I don't think the U.S. cares at all about barrels, do they?
I don't think bureaucrats care about anything except proving they are bureaucrats and have the power to give good citizens a hard time. Not worth risking the possible hassle, IMHO.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Jim Watson

Quote:
My understanding is that in Germany, the barrel is the regulated item instead of the receiver like in the US. If that's the case I assume you won't be able to buy one there much less bring it into the US.
I heard an account by a US Army officer of a guy who took advantage of that to buy AR lowers in Germany and the rest of the gun in the US. His gray market caught up with him and got him a court martial.