The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 1999, 06:19 PM   #1
POGO

Just got a new titanium cyl. 342 that's gonna be a favorite, but the trigger pull stacks up a bunch. My M38, circa 1991, has one smooth double action pull start to finish. Is it the hammer sring or is the mechanism different? Wolff spring folks have an 8# spring to replace the factory 8.5 unit. Would this help? Also need advice on the best weight trigger rebound spring, the std. 18# is too strong. 14? 15? THANKS!
Old July 13, 1999, 06:50 PM   #2
sant

Replacing the hammer and rebound springs with lighter springs will help lighten the pull but you should take it to a gunsmith to polish and smooth the internal parts. Sometimes just switching springs can result in misfires.
Old July 13, 1999, 11:00 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Pogo, I agree with Sant. Replacing springs can result in lighter pull and misfires. Time and shooting will polish out the rough spots but if you want it to be good now, take or send it to a pistolsmith. If you don't have anyone near you, you can e-mail me if you like. George
Old July 13, 1999, 11:51 PM   #4
Rod WMG

George,

This "stacking" seems to be a built in factor with very recent Smith DA's which they never had before (one of the reasons I've always like Smiths). Any idea why it's happening?

I have just ordered a Mtn. Gun which I'm certian will have it and I dread dealing with it. My friends who have newer Smith DA sixguns don't shoot DA much, but I can't tell any difference in the "glitches" today than when each gun was new.

I truly think Smith needs to address this. I know you and your fellow gunsmiths need to and deserve to make a living and provide a valued service, but I deplore the idea of buying a new gun with the idea that it needs to be reworked to function properly.

I suppose I'm too picky, but give me the old feel of the Smith DA cycle.
Old July 14, 1999, 07:11 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I'm afraid that the silky smooth action on factory fresh Smiths as well as Colts have gone the way of the do-do bird. Hand fitting and polishing of parts is a thing of the past where mass production is concerned. It's simply a matter of economics. People will buy a new S&W just because it is a S&W. I've seen new Smiths and Colts fresh from the box so badly out of time as to shave lead. I don't think that we will see a change in this until they are spending too much time and money on warranty work. It's sad. George
Old July 14, 1999, 03:48 PM   #6
B Shipley

I have a 617 and it misfired w/ the reduced power mainspring. I would only recommend swaping rebound springs, and then not using the lowest weight. Also recommend using the FELT tip of a Dremel and jeweler's rouge to polish the internals. Save stoning for gunsmiths.