The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 31, 2014, 07:12 PM   #1
shuvelrider

My FAL STG58

Thought someone might like to look at a FAL for a change, got this when I returned from Afghan land in 2012. I did a horse trade with a Winnie levergun I had, the Alcan Spectre scope came home with me also. It works great on the FAL. My wife enjoys the rifle as well, the rifle has a "soft push like" recoil that makes this rifle fun to shoot. I make the Ivans from 1/4 waferboard, more fun then punching paper.

Old July 31, 2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Nice rifles. I've always loved "the right arm of the free world"
Old July 31, 2014, 08:02 PM   #3
highpower3006

Nice! I just recently acquired a L1A1 myself. You are right, they are a very soft shooting rifle. It's nice to see a post about something besides the usual boring parade of AR's

Old July 31, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4
ttarp

That wood furniture looks fantastic!
Old July 31, 2014, 08:35 PM   #5
gyvel

highpower3006, is that select fire?

I love FALs.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:00 PM   #6
highpower3006

I wish, but no it's not.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:17 AM   #7
g.willikers

Nice.
And welcome to the board and thanks for your service.
Enjoy.
Neat target, too.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:47 AM   #8
DR Owl Creek

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Old August 1, 2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Bart Noir

gyvel,when the British adopted the L1 and Canadians adopted the C1, these were semi-auto only versions. They knew that the rifle was not controllable in full-auto fire. The Canadians also adopted a bipod equipped heavy barrel C2 which had full auto.

The British didn't have any version like the C2 since they retained the Bren gun for automatic fire in the rifle squads. They did change the Bren to the 7.62x51 cartridge and used (essentially) a 30-round FAL magazine.

Of course, the Commonwealth magazines are not the same as the metric FAL magazines. That could be a different thread.

One interesting note is that Canada did have a limited number of full-auto C1 rifles, called the C1D. These were for use by Navy boarding parties.

Wiki page on the L1A1

Bart Noir
Whose Franken-FAL uses an STG58 lower receiver. Yes, the switch does go to rock and roll. But after the sear was fixed, the gun does not.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Ridge_Runner_5

Almost 3 years before making the first post, but it was a NICE ONE!
Old August 2, 2014, 08:09 AM   #11
wogpotter

That's actually the other way round. Some enterprising soul in the army realized you could fit a 7.62mm Bren mag into an SLR for increased firepower.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 2, 2014, 03:48 PM   #12
shuvelrider

Yeah, I got sidetracked while in the Stan, a bit preoccupied with livin the dream in a dirt hole country . Anyway, I enjoy the old milsurps and have a decent accumulation in my gun pile. Which means I reload for all of them, for some just a few rounds to keep them functional.
Been reloading for the FAL when possible and have over a 1000 rounds put away, along with whatever commercial and surplus rounds I've accumulated. I have a few more of those Ivans I use for when working with my AR, good for when a rifle qual is coming up with the Army.
Right now I'm sitting at a school here at Ft. Lee, to pick up the MOS of 91F. That is the Small Arms/Artillery Repairer job skill, my current function in the reserves is a maintenance instructor. The opportunity came along to pick up a new skill set, couldn't pass that up.

Old August 4, 2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Bart Noir

wogpotter, I should have known that you would come along and join a FAL post. And then correct any little errors I might inject. Thanks.

I have heard that Bren 30-round 7.62 magazines may not have strong enough springs to work well in the FAL. Something about fighting gravity instead of working with it.... So was that the case, in your experience?

In USA, the DSA company makes nice 25 and 30 round FAL magazines and naturally I bought one of each. On those, the spring seems strong enough to lift rounds up as needed.

I put the British style safety lever on my otherwise metric FAL, just because it is so much easier to use than the original one.

Bart Noir
Old August 4, 2014, 03:33 PM   #14
wogpotter

I don't own a 30 rounder, to me they're just too bulky for the extra rounds. A friend of mine had a modded Bren mag & it ran fine, but I think they'd worked over the spring. It sort-of makes sense though, 30 rounds of 7.62 isn't light. BUT they also feed the last round as well so I'm not sure of the inverted weight needing a lighter spring argument.

Like you I prefer the modified Inch safety/selector the paddle is way easier than the metric button. I also fitted an inch mag catch as its also easier to use & ambidextrous as well.

Old August 9, 2014, 10:49 PM   #15
gyvel

Quote:
gyvel,when the British adopted the L1 and Canadians adopted the C1, these were semi-auto only versions. They knew that the rifle was not controllable in full-auto fire
I'm confused, then. All the L1A1 parts kits that came into the country had three position selectors and lowers. If you were lucky enough to get one that included the ejector block, it had the auto sear cutout, and the auto sear was included with the kit.

Also, I own a fully transferable Enfield manufactured select-fire L1A1 that somehow got grandfathered into the US before the Draconian regulations took effect.

It was my understanding the Brits later modified their L1A1s to fire SA only, mostly due to considerations of wasting ammunition.

I find the L1A1 to be fully controllable in FA,
Old August 10, 2014, 08:17 AM   #16
wogpotter

They were set up (as issued) for semi only. Supposedly there was the ability for the unit armorer to swap them to f/a if the order was u=issued because of some overriding need. The inch selector is s/a only but all you would have needed to do was swap the safe for a f/a one as all the internal parts were the f/a type & installed.

Old August 11, 2014, 10:22 AM   #17
gyvel

Quote:
They were set up (as issued) for semi only. Supposedly there was the ability for the unit armorer to swap them to f/a if the order was u=issued because of some overriding need. The inch selector is s/a only but all you would have needed to do was swap the safe for a f/a one as all the internal parts were the f/a type & installed.
As I stated, all the parts kits I bought (when they were available) were all FA guns with FA selectors, auto trip sears ("safety sears"), and FA internal parts. When I built up some L1s, I had to drill a small hole and insert a steel pin to prevent the selectors from going to the FA position.

And the transferable L1A1 I stumbled on is also FA.

Based on many things I have read, it was just the opposite: The guns as issued were select fire and were later modified to SA fire only.
Old August 11, 2014, 10:25 AM   #18
wogpotter

I never ever came across a F/A one in the service. That would have been '67~'76. I never heard of one in British service either.
Were your SLRs British or commonwealth?

Old August 11, 2014, 11:49 AM   #19
gyvel

They were Enfield manufactured, as is my transferable NFA L1A1.
Old August 12, 2014, 12:00 AM   #20
Bart Noir

gyvel, since wogpotter was in service a number of years after the FAL (SLR, etc) became a Commonwealth standard weapon, it may well be that the retrofitting to SA mode occurred just as you said. And was dusty history by the time he went through basic training and was introduced to the FN masterpiece.

I am a bit concerned that all those full auto parts in the same place or kit or rifle build might be enough to cause a knock on the door by the ATF. Do be careful, since I personally would not put my "legality trust" in simply a pin to prevent the selector from going to FA position.

Admittedly I am not an FA-rules expert, since I live in Washington State, which we all know is the Real Washington.

Bart Noir
Who watched a guy fire a perfectly legal short-barreled suppressed carbine a few days back. Gun control laws can be rolled back.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
Old August 12, 2014, 09:35 PM   #21
gyvel

Quote:
I am a bit concerned that all those full auto parts in the same place or kit or rifle build might be enough to cause a knock on the door by the ATF. Do be careful, since I personally would not put my "legality trust" in simply a pin to prevent the selector from going to FA position.
For me, it's not a problem. Those are considered "spare parts" for me as my L1A1 is an NFA weapon.
Old August 14, 2014, 07:21 PM   #22
Bart Noir

And you are hearing the sound of envy....

Bart Noir
Who could retire to Arizona but would never be able to afford the full-auto weaponry.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:29 AM   #23
gyvel

Quote:
And you are hearing the sound of envy....

Bart Noir
Who could retire to Arizona but would never be able to afford the full-auto weaponry.
To be honest, I couldn't afford them now either. I bought a few years back before things really got out of hand.

There are still a few bargains around if you are patient and keep looking; I stumbled literally by accident on the L1A1, and didn't waste any time contacting the seller.

The beauty of my locale is that the county sheriff meets with you face to face one time before he approves your first application; Each subsequent weapon you purchase is handled by mail.

Last edited by gyvel; August 15, 2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old August 16, 2014, 04:11 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
My wife enjoys the rifle as well, the rifle has a "soft push like" recoil that makes this rifle fun to shoot.
Ever shot a HB? I have a SAR-48HB, and the recoil, with the gas set to barely spit out the brass, is akin to a .22LR. Seriously, I could shoot mine all day long if I had the coin. You've got a nice piece there.

Old August 17, 2014, 03:24 PM   #25
smee78

I had one built and love it, a smooth shooting gun that is a pleasure to shoot.