The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Folks

I am considering a new Chronograph.

I have a Shooting Chrony F1. It gave me fair service producing bullet speeds about two out of three shots. (One of three returned an error.)

I used it with both my .36 and .44 balls of my revolvers as well as the .177 pellets from a good quality air rifle. Little difference in the performance of the Chrony.

I could never figure out how to know when to use the sky shields. On a given day I would shoot with the shields and shoot without the shields again with little difference in the reliability of the Chrony.

I sent it back to the manufacturer thinking it had a problem but when I got it back the performance was no better.

I am now thinking of a PACT Professional XP for the following reasons:

1.) Price - 210 to 230 depending upon where you go for the PACT as opposed to more than three hundred for an equivalent ProChono or Shooting Chrony. I have not done a lot of shopping around to verify prices on the Prochrono.
2.) Sensors and screens are separate from the unit which makes it a lot cheaper to fix if I happen to shoot it.
3.) Ballistic software is downloaded for free from the website. Shooting Chrony wants 80.00 for theirs and I did not check on ProChrono.

Does anyone have any feelings one way or the other?
Any experience with PACT?
Comparison of the three units?
Are all chronographs finnicky like the F1 I have?
How about similar experience to mine with the unreliable reporting of the F1?
Or perhaps is there a fourth chronograph that I should be thinking about?
Old March 16, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2
mykeal

You might get broader exposure and more responses in the Gear and Accessories subforum under The Skunkworks.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Thanks

Thanks Mykeal....It is there.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:49 PM   #4
fastforty

I've had a PACT for quite a while (I think it's a Mk V?) and I like it. I used it a lot the first year or 2 that I had it, combination of novelty & hey, I have a lotta guns (and other things) that I wanted to compile data on. I found that there is a "sweet spot" (when you're too close to it) that it will error constantly, either no data or the numbers are doubled (2200fps for a .22lr instead of 1100fps). Pretty sure that had something to do with muzzle blast. As long as the screens were at least 5 feet away it was pretty consistent. Yeah, once in a while (maybe once per shooting session of 50-100 rounds) it would throw obviously distorted data but, it was *obvious* that's what happened on that one shot. When I use the sky screens, I found it best to get them to cast their shadow on the sensors. And yes, just like practically everyone else, I shot a sensor once, LOL. Luckily, it was with a .22 but I had no idea how I had let it happen. It was quite a surprise when the dang thing exploded right there in front of my face. Nothing was damaged beyond use, I snapped it back together & put a zip tie around it and was shooting again within a few minutes.

I've heard a few rumors that PACT is out of business (or may be shortly) from people who claimed that they can't get service on the life time warranty anymore. Of course, that was internet static, but I'd verify it before I bought one for full retail price.
Old March 17, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

FF

Thanks a lot for the great info.

Some guys over on the Skunkworks page said to try a Millenium from CED. It is even cheaper than the PACT and appears to have the same features and performance.

I think it will be one or the other.
Old March 19, 2010, 04:06 AM   #6
ebr-lvr

Howdy Doc,
What would you take for your F-1?

When a deadly situation presents,One will not "rise to the occasion" but will " default to his highest level of training"