The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
ClemBert

Best source for black powder 45 Colt bullets?

I don't think I'll be casting my own lead bullets anytime soon. For now I've been using Dardas Cast Bullets in flavor LRNFP 250 grain .252 diameter. However, these come with a smokeless powder lube. For now I melt out the lube and insert my own beeswax/crisco lube. However, these bullets have a rather small lube ring. I'm going to use the remaining ones I have to load up some smokeless rounds using Alliant Unique.

With that said I'm talking suggestions on your favorite place to get bullets with bigger lube rings. I am happy to get them without lube and lube them up myself. Thanks in advance!
Old February 2, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
TomADC

Maybe here? http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,23847.0.html
Old February 2, 2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Try These:

Big Lube Bullets http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/
Desperado Cowboy Bullets http://www.cowboybullets.com/

I've used Desperados for a number of years for CAS with BP and subs, & have also used the Big Lubes with BP. Both work well.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; February 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

Check out Missouri Bullets. http://www.missouribullet.com/

I use their bullets in my .45 LC and .38/357

I do not know about the changing the lube, but I know I have no problems with their product and the guys who have to order the bullets all claim really fast shipping. (They are a local company and I get my bullets through a local dealer.)
Old February 4, 2010, 10:43 AM   #5
ClemBert

Thanks y'all!

I guess the bottom line is that shooting is not a cheap hobby...even if you reload yourself. Of course I haven't pursued becoming my own bullet manufacturer yet. This is what I looked up on your suggested bullet sources. Bullets are 250 grain, .452 caliber, flatnose

Missouri Bullets $43/500

Big Lube Bullets $56/500

Desperado Cowboy Bullets $65/500

Stonewall Bullets $36/500

Chey Cast Bullets $55/500

This is what I previously tried:

Dardas Cast Bullets $45/500

Curious...does anyone have any experience with Gad Custom Bullets?

Gad Custom Bullets $25/500
Old February 4, 2010, 02:36 PM   #6
okiefarmer

Me thinks you better jump on those Gad bullets like flies on a cowpie. You can't cast 'em that cheap. He isn't allowing much profitr margin on bullet below 250 grains. Triples in price above that for the most part.

To answer your original question, I know nothing about Gad, but for that price, you can't go wrong trying a few. I am sure he gets his lead supply much cheaper than some do if ya don't get it for free, but that is still a good buy IMHO.
Old February 4, 2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

If I translate the OP correctly, Clembert is looking for cast bullets with BP lube or larger lube rings.

From what I see on the GAD site, the .45s are only available in 160 and 200 grain weights with standard sized lube rings & look to be unsized with no lube.

The Cheycast BP lubed bullets are $15/100

Missouri Bullets have standard sized lube rings with smokeless (?) lube

BigLube bullets have large lube rings filled with BP lube

Desperado Bullets have BP compatible lube in standard sized rings

Stonewall Bullets have standard sized lube rings with smokeless (?) lube

Dardas cast bullets have standard sized lube rings with smokeless (?) lube

Sounds to me like the Big Lube bullets are what Clembert is looking for with the Cheycast and Desperados a close second. Or, am I missing something?

Fm
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 4, 2010, 04:02 PM   #8
ClemBert

Fingers...you got it right...I know it seems like I'm all over the radar screen but I'm looking at my options...which seem to be very limited right now. Either pay up or cast your own. There isn't a magic bullet (pun intended) on this one is there?

I'm perfectly happy putting my own lube in there. I was just hoping to find a source with decent size lube rings for my purpose. The lube ring doesn't have to be ginormous like the Big Lubes but maybe just a little bit larger than a standard single lube ring without having to pay the big bucks.

p.s. I'm cheap! I'd rather spend my cash on blackpowder revolvers instead of lead.
Old February 4, 2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Clembert,

I know how you feel. I'm cheap also when it comes to bullets, powder, wads, balls, etc. Want to save as many bucks as possible for more guns!!!! I traded 100 lbs of lead for 2000 big lube bullets that a fellow clubmember cast, sized and lubed for me. I should have enough for this season & still have a hundred pounds of lead or so to entice him to make more for me if I need them.

FM
Old February 10, 2010, 04:06 PM   #10
steelman762

You should check out grafs.com, I don`t know if they have what you want but they only charge $4.50 to ship no matter how much weight it is. I just purchased some 230gr LRN 45cal. hornady for .14/rnd. swedge not cast.