The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 27, 2015, 06:43 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

The way Ruger gets a reputation for good CS is to make almost all their guns right in the first place. If, once in a while, they do goof, their CS can take the time and trouble to make things right because they aren't swamped by complaints.

If a company were able to make each and every product perfect, they wouldn't need any CS, but that day is not yet here.

Jim
Old August 27, 2015, 07:46 PM   #27
DA/SA Fan

Quote:
A steel 1911 pattern gun isn't traditional???
That's why I said non-1911.
Old August 28, 2015, 05:47 AM   #28
Ibmikey

James k, Thanks for the "almost" in your statement. Yes they make "almost" all neat firearms and some quite innovative, but alas, they seem to be moving out of the affordable catagory along with most other manufacturers.
Old August 28, 2015, 08:17 AM   #29
osbornk

I bought four guns with a lifetime warranty and didn't really consider Ruger because they don't have a warranty. However, I found out that with their CS, their lack of a warranty is better than most that have a warranty. I am pleased with my Mk III and I am confident that a problem will be resolved to my satisfaction if I ever have one. I bought Ruger based on their reputation of good customer service and quality.
Old August 28, 2015, 10:34 AM   #30
cobra81

Ruger's high Customer Satisfaction scores seem to be the result of a pretty simple Customer Service model: Keep the customer happy, within reason, by making sure any Ruger firearm in the customer's possession operates in the manner it was intended to when it left the factory.

I've purchased three new Ruger handguns in the last three years. One of them, a SR1911, had the front sight shear off under recoil. I estimate the pistol had approximately 1000 total rounds through it when this occurred. I contacted Ruger Customer Service, and they offered to either send out a new sight, or provide a shipping label so I could send them the whole gun. I opted for the new sight, they sent it out, and I had it within 3 days.

Then things turned bad. I buggered up the slide while installing the new sight, and made a mess of the sight itself. With my tail between my legs, I contacted Ruger, (who IMHO had every right to tell me to pound sand), and asked if there was anything they could do. They promptly sent out a shipping label, I sent them the whole pistol, and one week later, I had my pistol back, with a new sight, and a new slide!

THAT is how Ruger achieves superiority in Customer Satisfaction, at least in my case. I will buy more of their products, and I tell folks how Ruger went above and beyond to satisfy me. Kudos to Ruger; I sincerely appreciate the way they treated me.
Old August 28, 2015, 10:56 AM   #31
ohiomossyoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerboy View Post
My SR9 has been flawless. So has my LC9-S. They're not much cheaper than a Glock, which frankly inflates their prices to consumers to make up for the super cheap deal they give to police departments. They're a polymer framed striker fired weapon that is no worse than a Glock. Just google "Glock Recall" and dozens of hits come up. Broken frames. .40 kabooms. Phase 3 malfunctions.
The simple fact is the more guns sold the more likely a problem is to arise.Glock owns the polymer pistol market.
Old August 28, 2015, 12:00 PM   #32
FITASC

Quote:
Today, it seems like so many of the "old time" U.S. Manufacturers have really slipped - Colt, Remington, etc. And let's face it . . the "new ones" sure aren't the quality of the "old ones"
Because WE, as the gun buying public, expect prices to also be like they were decades ago and these folks have to cut every nickel they can to compete with the cheap foreign crap we so dearly love to have.

"Back in the day", when foreign guns were imported (milsurps notwithstanding), the majority were of the same quality and priced as such, making the decision to "buy American" even easier.

Personally, the company in any product field that has no need for customer service is number 1.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 28, 2015, 12:57 PM   #33
Carmady

I read that at one time the Astra .44Mag had a higher price tag in the US than the S&W 29.
Old August 29, 2015, 11:50 PM   #34
WVMountaineer

Quote:
Ruger's high Customer Satisfaction scores seem to be the result of a pretty simple Customer Service model: Keep the customer happy, within reason, by making sure any Ruger firearm in the customer's possession operates in the manner it was intended to when it left the factory.

I've purchased three new Ruger handguns in the last three years. One of them, a SR1911, had the front sight shear off under recoil. I estimate the pistol had approximately 1000 total rounds through it when this occurred. I contacted Ruger Customer Service, and they offered to either send out a new sight, or provide a shipping label so I could send them the whole gun. I opted for the new sight, they sent it out, and I had it within 3 days.

Then things turned bad. I buggered up the slide while installing the new sight, and made a mess of the sight itself. With my tail between my legs, I contacted Ruger, (who IMHO had every right to tell me to pound sand), and asked if there was anything they could do. They promptly sent out a shipping label, I sent them the whole pistol, and one week later, I had my pistol back, with a new sight, and a new slide!

THAT is how Ruger achieves superiority in Customer Satisfaction, at least in my case. I will buy more of their products, and I tell folks how Ruger went above and beyond to satisfy me. Kudos to Ruger; I sincerely appreciate the way they treated me.
Try that with the fabled fanboy favorite Smith & Wesson and see how it goes. Then try that with any other brand and see how it goes. that is why they are the best of the best in CS and overall value.

Here is the deal, Ruger makes the gun the public requests. Most are affordable, very functional, and an all around better deal for the greater demand. People who bash them do so based on their economy versions by, comparing them to the best of the competitors.

There is nothing quality wise lacking with a Ruger revolver. There is nothing quality wise with the quality of their polymer pistols either. Just know when you go and buy one for a hundred or hundreds less than the competition, they are selling a quality product at a price point the consumer respond to. They aren't meant to be a top of the line cosmetic gun with a fabled name and cult following. They are meant to be accurate, reliable and eye appealing. And, they are.

Ruger is the best of the best. They get what they do right. If they don't, they make it right on their dime and in a time frame that shows they value their customer. Pretty cool really. And, they can and do make as quality firearm's, both cosmetically and functionality, as any mass production company out there. You just have to pay for them. Like you do the others.

Maybe one day when I quite being so frugal and develop into a vein gun collector, I'll say different. Until then, my tightwad nature and, the fact that they are America's number one gun seller, won't allow me to do that. You don't get to be number one in sells doing it wrong. You get to be number one in sells doing what you do better than anyone else. God Bless

Last edited by WVMountaineer; August 29, 2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old August 30, 2015, 07:18 PM   #35
FITASC

Sounds like you are a Ruger fanboy though.................

S&W, Springfield, CZ and many others also make guns the public wants or they wouldn't still be in business with record sales.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 1, 2015, 10:29 AM   #36
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I bought four guns with a lifetime warranty and didn't really consider Ruger because they don't have a warranty. However, I found out that with their CS, their lack of a warranty is better than most that have a warranty.
Ruger, at one time, offered the same "standard" warranty as other gun makers. Today, they don't. Ever wonder WHY Ruger doesn't offer a warranty today???

My understanding is, it's because of current warranty laws. Essentially, Ruger decided not to try and meet the legalese requirements of what needs to be written in a warranty, due to the widely differing standards in different places in the US. There are many different requirements of what needs to be expressed or implied, and what passes muster in state A might be grounds for a lawsuit in state B, or C.

So they took the path that says, "we stand behind our products, and that is enough". And, they do.
Old September 1, 2015, 03:57 PM   #37
osbornk

Quote:
Ruger, at one time, offered the same "standard" warranty as other gun makers. Today, they don't. Ever wonder WHY Ruger doesn't offer a warranty today???

My understanding is, it's because of current warranty laws. Essentially, Ruger decided not to try and meet the legalese requirements of what needs to be written in a warranty, due to the widely differing standards in different places in the US. There are many different requirements of what needs to be expressed or implied, and what passes muster in state A might be grounds for a lawsuit in state B, or C.

So they took the path that says, "we stand behind our products, and that is enough". And, they do.
That is what I understand but Henry has a very simple written warranty that is basically the same as Ruger. (In my owner's manual)

SIMPLE LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Henry Repeating Arms Company stands behind its products
as it has historically. We offer a simple limited lifetime
warranty. If you have a problem with a Henry rifle, and it is our
fault, we will fix it at any time, and at no charge. The warranty
does not cover excessive wear and tear to parts, or accidental
damage to parts.
Old September 3, 2015, 10:56 AM   #38
James K
Member In Memoriam

All products are sold under an implied "condition of merchantability" which basically means they must do what they are sold as being able to do. That implied warranty is nullified if the company issues its own warranty.

So a written warranty that guarantees the gun will be shiny and look nice will cancel the implied warranty that it must work. By not having a warranty, Ruger actually operates under a stronger guarantee than some companies with limited warranties that are full of legal loopholes.

Hi, Osbornk,

While I understand Henry has excellent CS, their warranty is not at all "simple". It is very cleverly written and is almost worthless. First, who determines if a problem is "our fault"? What is "excessive wear..."? What is "accidental"? Who decides and on what basis?

Jim
Old September 3, 2015, 02:29 PM   #39
Doc Holliday 1950

Before I found this forum, I owned several Taurus and Rossi weapons and one Python. Never had any problems with any and I guess I was lucky. After joining TFL I started to look into Ruger and S&W for my new "go to" wheel. I choose Ruger over S&W because I felt S&W was stuck in a rut and not being innovated enough and Ruger seemed to be really looking forward. Both had very good
CS reports but Ruger got more Yays than S&W. I traded most of my Taurus and one Rossi for my GP 100 & my wife's LCR. The LCR had a cylinder latch problem which Ruger fixed in under one week. No problems since. I hope this answers your post Skeets.
Doc
Old September 3, 2015, 06:16 PM   #40
osbornk

Quote:
Hi, Osbornk,

While I understand Henry has excellent CS, their warranty is not at all "simple". It is very cleverly written and is almost worthless. First, who determines if a problem is "our fault"? What is "excessive wear..."? What is "accidental"? Who decides and on what basis?

Jim
I've had a Henry for a few years and follow them in 2 forums. I have yet to read of anyone who was turned down regardless of fault. More often, Henry fixes or sends owners parts that were damaged by the owner.
Old September 3, 2015, 07:38 PM   #41
James K
Member In Memoriam

I didn't question Henry's CS or support. I did say that the warranty you quoted had loopholes big enough to drive an M1A1 through. A company can have a worthless written warranty or none at all, and still give excellent CS. The basic problem is that if a company gives out a "we fix anything, always, no questions" warranty they end up repairing guns or handing out new ones for free when the customer obviously was at fault, and they can only do that so often before it impacts the bottom line.

Jim
Old September 3, 2015, 10:10 PM   #42
osbornk

Quote:
I didn't question Henry's CS or support. I did say that the warranty you quoted had loopholes big enough to drive an M1A1 through. A company can have a worthless written warranty or none at all, and still give excellent CS. The basic problem is that if a company gives out a "we fix anything, always, no questions" warranty they end up repairing guns or handing out new ones for free when the customer obviously was at fault, and they can only do that so often before it impacts the bottom line.

Jim
I've never seen a warranty on any product that didn't have more loopholes than the Henry Warranty. Have you ever seen a warranty on anything that did not exclude abuse and wear & tear?

A written warranty is more limiting than the Ruger lack of a warranty because Ruger is subject to an implied warranty. "Implied Warranty. A promise, arising by operation of law, that something that is sold will be merchantable and fit for the purpose for which it is sold."
Old September 6, 2015, 10:08 PM   #43
James K
Member In Memoriam

This explains why few companies are willing to offer a full written warranty. The result is that they go with limited warranties that often don't cover much. Some companies (e.g., Ruger) offer no warranty, but handle complaints as if they offered a full warranty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...ty_Act#Purpose

Jim
Old September 12, 2015, 01:46 AM   #44
MINSH101

I currently have two Ruger pistols, LC9 (with crimson trace laser grip) and SP101. I hope to get two more. Strike that, make it four: GP100, Blackhawk. 45ACP, LC9s, and 9e. Haven't had to use their CS, but I REALLY like their guns.
Old September 12, 2015, 05:48 PM   #45
FITASC

Quote:
I've never seen a warranty on any product that didn't have more loopholes than the Henry Warranty. Have you ever seen a warranty on anything that did not exclude abuse and wear & tear?
Yep, LL Bean, RCBS and a few others.....
Old September 12, 2015, 06:17 PM   #46
amd6547

My Ruger warranty experience was superlative.
Years ago, I bought a well used Stainless Security Six 357mag at a gun show. It had no box, and showed surface wear. It was pretty cheap.
It wasn't until I took it to the range that I noticed the front sight was tilted...the barrel wasn't indexed properly.
I called Ruger, and they said send it in.
Now, I expected to pay to have it fixed...
It showed up a week later with a new barrel installed, and the entire gun refinished to like new appearance, and shipped to me in a brand new box...
No charge.
Old September 14, 2015, 01:09 PM   #47
2ndsojourn

Several years ago my father passed and my brothers and I inherited his gun collection. (We took turns picking). One of the guns one of my brothers got was a broken Ruger Blackhawk 357, no box or papers. After reading on these forums about Ruger's CS, I told my brother to call them. They sent him a shipping label, and within a couple weeks he had a like new Blackhawk returned. No charge.

That's how they hold No. 1 CS.
Old September 14, 2015, 10:32 PM   #48
The Big D

Quote:
The LC9s trigger should be the standard that other subcompact (or micro) 9s are compared to.
Agreed.

Ruger's basic MO seems to be to make something a little dubious (say, the LC9), listen to people gripe about it, and then make something way better (the LC9s) based on the complaints. They did the same thing with the Gunsite Scout (going from the laminate models to the new synthetic ones). This strikes me as a more than adequate way to do business, but I won't be buying their first try at anything.
Old September 17, 2015, 02:34 AM   #49
DirtyHarold

I have an SP101 that I wasnt happy with the lock up when I bought it, sent it in and had it back about a week later and the problem was 100% solved and they sent me a target with a 1/2" group at 7 yards......
Old September 19, 2015, 10:19 AM   #50
bikerbill

I currently own only one Ruger, an LCR in .22WMR. No problems, good price, fun to shoot ...