The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Kimio

Browning BPS? Questions on shell capacity.

So I was browsing the Browning firearms website, and I can't seem to find the information that I was looking for.

The model in question is the Browning BPS micro, from what I can glean from the website, it has a four shell capacity plus one making for a five shot total.

I was considering eventually getting one of these for a home defense role and was wondering if these shotguns are user friendly enough to where I could swap out the tube magazine for a larger capacity one such as the one from their carbon fiber high capacity model.

Why don't I just go with the carbon fiber model? I like the look of the micro better, (silly I know) and while aesthetics I know are secondary, and a high capacity shotgun in a H/D role may not be needed as much, I take solace in the fact that I'd have a few more shells to shuck if the situation (heaven forbid) ever arose.

If not, I'll probably still go with the micro, I've read numerous reviews on the BPS and it seems like a wise investment and I'll be getting a quality shotgun that will most likely out live me and hopefully become an heirloom to my children some day.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2
BigJimP

I have a pair of BPS Hunter models...28" barrels...and yes, all of the BPS models are solid guns.

I think your understanding of capactity on the 20ga Micro model ( 3" chamber" is correct at 4 +1 if you use 2 3/4" shells ...and take the plug out.

I don't know if you can change the mag tube or not on a BPS ( I've never tried to do it ). I don't have a reason to do it ...
--------
The downside to the Micro - is that its only available in 20ga ...and the length of pull is very short ....so it won't fit a lot of shooters very well. Barrel length is also very short ...for most shooters tastes...except for defense ...but this model is intended to be a field gun for young shooters primarily in my opinion.

BPS Micro has length of pull at 13 1/4", call it a 7 lb gun...with a 22" barrel.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=225

BPS Hunter model - 20ga 3" chamber with a 26" or 28" barrel is still around 7 lbs but has a length of pull a full inch longer.../ and BPS Hunter is available in 12ga, 20ga, 16ga, etc....
-------------
There is a BPS carbon fibre high capacity....( but I hope you reliaze its in .410 only ) ....or the BPS Wood high capacity ( its in .410 only as well )....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=263

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=268

A tactical shotgun in .410 ...makes little or no sense to me personally....???

Last edited by BigJimP; November 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old November 16, 2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Kimio

I'm 5'3" tall and most stocks LOP tend to be a bit too long for me (it sucks being short) and seeing as this is probably going to be my first shotgun, I don't want to get anything too powerful. If it turns out I like it, I may invest into a 12ga later on.
Old November 16, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4
BigJimP

Ok, then it makes perfectly good sense. I get it .....
Old November 16, 2012, 10:26 PM   #5
mr kablammo

Get it. When the home invader sees how good that Micro looks he'll be begging you to shoot him. Plus you'll look good at the range. My BPS is often bringing compliments.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:52 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Some experienced people will tell you that 4 in the tube is all you need for HD and if you don't get the job done in one or two you probably are not going to get it done. Still, if you need more you can allways load as you shoot. The additional weight of an extended tube can slow down timing.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; November 17, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Kimio

Not sure if kablammo is being sarcastic or not.

Also I see your point TKL

I've noticed that a good number of these are pretty long in barrel length. This may be blasphemous, but would it be a boon to me to consider getting it cut shorter to make it more maneuverable inside a home? Is that even possible considering the way the sights are designed?
Old November 20, 2012, 09:46 AM   #8
Pfletch83

To the O.P.

I'm not going to knock the BPS because Browning makes very good firearms

But a Mossberg 500 (in any of the three gauges) make a fine HD/SD shotgun without breaking the bank.

Also the both of the hi-cap models mentioned have a 14.5 inch length of pull.

The Mossbergs are more customizable when it comes to pull length.

I will say that no matter the gauge make sure you spend enough time with your choice to learn how it shoots.

and that the right ammo is used for the task in mind (#4 Buck in any gauge should do fine for in home defense)

12,20,and.410 all will work very well if the shooter does his/her part.