The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 24, 2001, 05:33 PM   #1
HarryB

Beretta 390 Questions

I missed the great Remington 1100 sale at Wal Mart but picked up a Beretta 390 (synthetic) for $450. This is my first autoloading shotgun.

I am not sure which version of the 390 I have. The manual is for an AL 390, a supplement tag is marked A390 ST, and the box is marked AL 390. The receiver is marked 390. What is the difference?

My question is the manual of arms, specifically unloading:

The manual states to engage the cut off device and retract the bolt to eject the chambered round.

Next depress the cut off lever to lock the breech bolt.

Pressing down on the carrier and at the same time pressing against the cartridges in the magazine, depress the breech bolt release button to ease exit of the cartridges from the magazine tube.

My problem is my gun does not have a CUT-OFF device. Its is plain as day in the manual but the left side of my receiver is bare.

How do I safely unload? I plan to asked BerettaUSA but I know the best info is here at TFL !
Old July 24, 2001, 09:30 PM   #2
Drundel

Harry,

Beretta sold a no frills version to Wal-Mart. It does not have some of the things that are on the regular 390, but is cheaper by like $150. A new 391 SC runs 750+, a new 391 SC Gold runs 1000+. I'm not sure of the differences, look here
http://refugeforums.com in the shotgun part of it.

To safely unload it point it down range and cycle the action until your are empty. I don't remember off hand but you might be able to depress a lever inside the action and unload the mag through the bottom but the one in the chamber has to be done by cycling the action.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00
Old July 24, 2001, 10:33 PM   #3
HarryB

Mere cycling the bolt does not strip the shells from the mag ala pump. Unloading the chamber wasn't the problem--the shells in the tube are the ones in question.

I think I found a solution:
Open the bolt to eject the chambered shell.
Push up on the carrier and slowly ease the bolt forward until it stops about halfway.
Pushing the bolt release releases the shells in the tube.
Is this correct?

I appreciate the links--going to check them out now.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:44 PM   #4
Drundel

Crap, I forgot you have to release the shell. Ok my 390 is in the safe and I am about to go to bed, but try this. Just release teh shell by pressing the button on the bottom of the gun and then cycle the action. Repeat as necessary.

I'll get it out of the safe when I get back from work tomrrow if you haven't figured it out by them.

But I know for sure in my 1100/870 and Nova I could press in the shell latch right in the tube of the mag and just pop out the shells.

Texas A&M University
Old July 25, 2001, 08:16 PM   #5
Drundel

Harry,

did you get it figured out?

Texas A&M University
Old July 25, 2001, 10:47 PM   #6
HarryB

Not officially...

The method I discovered SEEMS to work but I want it confirmed by either a smith or Beretta that it is safe for myself as well as the gun.

Checking the link provided didn't provide what I was looking for--but there was lots of other useful data. There seems to be another debate regarding the urban legend that manufacturers provide Wal Mart with substandard products and real gun stores get premium products.

I will call Berettas 800 number in the morning for confirmation. Thanks for the assist!
Old July 26, 2001, 11:04 AM   #7
HarryB

Called BerettaUSA--after waiting on hold for nearly 10 seconds the correct solution to release the shells was passed to me. The is a small button at the rear of the shell carrier that needs to be depressed. Now the shells can be cycled and ejected. The other method I had used was safe as well but unless I hold the bolt lever the bolt slams home on an empty chamber. I know that is a no-no on a semi auto pistol, and I imagine it is true of the shotgun as well...