The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 16, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
molonlabeXX

Ruger 10/22 not cylcling live rounds

Hello,

I recently bought a Ruger 10/.22 and so far a pretty good rifle. I have not even fired one round from it but plan to do so soon. I like to get familiar with all my new guns and take them apart/ clean them (safely). In a safe environment (gun pointed to ground, safety on and finger no where near the trigger) I decided to load a full 10 round mag and just cycle the rounds to make sure everything is in working order. The rounds go into the chamber fine but they do not extract, only halfway out the chamber. Now if I take the magazine out, 1 round extracts fine. The ammo: CC blazers 40 grain round nose. I have a 10/.22 carbine. Like I said, I have not fired it. Now I know extractors are meant to extract cases only but still, it should be extracting the live rounds. I don't know if it has to do with momentum or anything. Like i said, when the 10 round rotary magazine is not in the rifle, 1 round extracts perfectly 2-3 feet. So I guess this means the extractor is working somewhat. The rifle is completely OEM. I would appreciate ANY input, I am a bit worried that my new rifle is not working. I also use it as my primary home defense weapon (now i know: never use a .22 for defense. Honestly guys the round gets less attribute than it deserves. No one wants to get shot with ANYTHING period.)
Old February 17, 2013, 04:45 AM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

Fire it before you worry about it. Its designed be cycled by firing, not by hand. Chances are it will be good.

And to the above, your rude comments are not welcome here and will not be tolerated.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Tim R

You going to ding us Americans for some guys very first post? Like already said you should keep those comments to yourself. You should have your fire suit ready to go. It could get warm.

Last edited by Spats McGee; February 17, 2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Removing reference to deleted post
Old February 17, 2013, 05:43 AM   #4
felixx

No I ding the people who have made it difficult for all of us fireams owners, world wide.

Rude comments?
How can someone know if it is a good rifle if he hasn't fired it?
He has owned other firearms, it says so when he said words to the effect of " I like to get familiar with all my new guns and take them apart/ clean them (safely). In a safe environment (gun pointed to ground, safety on and finger no where near the trigger) I decided to load a full 10 round mag and just cycle the rounds to make sure everything is in working order"

So he has some idea about firearms I think.

But is it rude to query how he will SAFELY keep a loaded rifle in a place he can access it readily at all times as his primary HD weapon "I also use it as my primary home defense weapon (now i know: never use a .22 for defense. Honestly guys the round gets less attribute than it deserves. No one wants to get shot with ANYTHING period.)"

As fo my comment about Americans and firearm ownership, we we went thru something similar in NZ in the 1990s, it worked out OK, but our laws were brought about by people 1) killing eachother 2) stockpiling large numbers of 'black' rifles.

We never had people shooting up schools like you do in America, we never have the hysteria over firearms you have in America (well it may not be as bad as the international media makes it out to look) On NZ firearms forums we dont have people talking about primary HD weapons etc like wannabe rambos.

My point is, anyone canread these forums, anyone, even the people most against firearm ownership. It doesn't help ANY OF US when we get people talking about a plinking rifle as a HD weapon. we need to justify our ownership for reasons other than the 1 day in our life where we mght need to take another life.

If the threat is that real that you need multiple HD weapons, OP states it is his primary, then the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] has hit the fan and its all too late..
If thats the case, the crininals have won as banning firearms will only take them out of our hands and they still have theirs.

IMHO posts like the one starting this thread do our cause no help. Flame me, ban, me, do what you wish, I dont care, this is the internet, i dont live in America, never will, dont want to. If it is that bad that you all believe you NEED guns for defence it must be awful
Old February 17, 2013, 06:36 AM   #5
jmr40

Quote:
Here in NZ, your comments above would have your firearms licence removed.
That is why we don't live in NZ.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"No I ding the people who have made it difficult for all of us fireams owners, world wide."

That would be the politicians that YOU and YOUR countrymen elected.

Not we Americans.

Don't like how things are in America, don't visit American firearms boards. Simple as that.

The British NRA used to give a lot of ink to how crazy Americans were for even talking about self-defense, that the ONLY way in which the future would include firearms would be if everyone concentrated on firearms as sporting implements and drop that brutish concept of self defense.

They were so sure that they were right, and that the British government would never come for their "sporting implements" that they were totally blindsided when it actually happened.

You take care of the issues in your own country, and leave us to the issues in our country, and we'll all get along just fine.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:50 AM   #7
geetarman

^^^^^ What he said.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 17, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Metal god

HD or SD why would anybody need a firearm for that ?

Well what about the gal that had to shoot a home intruder just a couple weeks ago . She was hiding with her children in a crawl space when the intruder came in after her . She shot him 5 times and saved her family by doing so .

There is always this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 17, 2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Mezzanine

Well your 10/22 is going to be ok. And ironically with the original question answered very quickly it looks like the debates just begun...
Old February 17, 2013, 11:27 PM   #10
hunter52

The problem with cycling live rounds in your 10/22 is the bullet is just starting out of the chamber when the ejector is starting to push up on the case, with the next round pushing up from the bottom, the extractor will let go of the rim before the bullet clears the chamber.................or something like that.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:54 PM   #11
BillM

Welcome to the forum.

Your 10/22 will probably shoot just fine. Or not---there is a
reason that at least two companies make replacement tool
steel extractors for the 10/22. (also fits the MKII and MKIII
pistols). I currently have 8 Ruger pistols and 10/22's,
3 of them needed a better extractor.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Rudeness and other issues aside, I find it remarkable how parochial attitudes about weapons are. I had occasion to work with three engineers from India in the late 80's who were positively scandalized by the fact I and other Americans had folding pocket knives. They asked me why we carried them, and I said mainly to open packages. Anyway, they said that in India, other than the ceremonial knives carried by Sikh men, it was only "rascals" who carried knives.

This seems to me to be an important element of calls for so-called "common sense" gun laws. We have a genuine social division wherein each side thinks that what the other considers common sense is unfathomably ignorant and naive and unworldly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 18, 2013, 06:21 PM   #13
molonlabeXX

Thanks for all the input. Trying to get to the range ASAP. And I will grab my 10/22 as my primary, but I always have the 12 gauge loaded in my closet.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:04 PM   #14
ThomasT

Quote:
it was only "rascals" who carried knives.
I have always wanted to be a "Rascal". Now I are one.

Your rifle will most likely funtion just fine. It relies to some extent on the pressure from being fired to help extract the empty case. Look at Beretta tip up 22, 25 and 32 caliber pocket guns. They don't even have extractors. The pressure from being fired and the breech openning ejects the case. And they work very well.

I have one 10/22 that didn't always eject the spent case. I ordered a Volkquartson extractor with a heavier power spring and that fixed that problem. I think the stronger spring was the secret.