The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 23, 2009, 03:50 PM   #1
PRONE2

Mrs first Hog and first kill

My wife has just started hunting last year. She stuck it out during deer season through 10 degree weather with no luck, watched a big spring tom with no luck. But she got LUCKY this time!!

Prone2 is one proud husband!!!
Old June 23, 2009, 03:51 PM   #2
JagFarlane

Congrats to the Mrs on her first of hopefully many successful hunts.
Old June 23, 2009, 04:32 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Glad she nailed one... Lots of pork for the freezer in that one!
Brent
Old June 23, 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I failed to realize them are 2 different pigs and not one in different light
Even more pork for the coffin! Freezer I meant!
Since yer wife spoke her mind on BTO, I realize she is just a hunter of meat as I am! I look upon a living critter as a gob of meat protected by a hair and hide wrapper. If you visualize a living critter others point out to you by the separated cuts of meat, yer in the same boat as me!
Brent
Old June 23, 2009, 06:17 PM   #5
PRONE2

Brent

We brought home 150lb of meat for the freezer! soaked it in ice for 5 days like you said and cut it into steaks chops hams and bacon in the garage! Proud of me arent yah Took a few hours, but the saw and I became one!!
thanks for all the help
Old June 23, 2009, 06:26 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yer in fer a treat!
Did you keep any hams?
Them are the ones we need to talk about... as with venison, the feral hog meat needs to come off the heat as soon as "well done pork temp" is attained. Got some recipes for the hams though.
Brent
Old June 23, 2009, 07:05 PM   #7
flyguyskt

gr8 story but but but i wanna shoot one..... me whining for a hog hunt offer!LOL
Old June 23, 2009, 07:17 PM   #8
simonkenton

Congratulations to the little lady!
What was she shooting?
Where did she hit the pig?
Old June 23, 2009, 08:00 PM   #9
sheila hunter

sheila hunter AKA MrsProne2's first kill

Hello everyone. I'm Mrs Prone2 & I am still excited over the kill. Still makes me smile. I was using a NEF 308 Winchester Supremes. Both hogs were found when we were just driving around looking at places to hunt. The first one we had just got to the ranch and weren't 5 min from leaving the cabin. Our guide slammed on the brakes and said there's a big one. Mr Prone to said pass it. I knew my luck deer hunting and not seeing anything so I said I'll take it. I was still in shorts and slip on shoes. I'm dead on at 25 yards, but I have a 2+ rise at 50 yards. We were about 40. I sat down and rested the gun on my knee. The hog was laying in the water with its head just sticking out. I could see it flipping its ear so I aimed just below and shot. It went just above the head and hit the water. It went walking and layed down behind a large bail of hay. I could just see it ear flipping again aimed and shot it in the jaw. Mr. Prone2 actually killed this hog with one shot in the neck behind its ear. He likes to say it was me because I hit it and he really wanted me to get a kill but this one is his. Needless to say I was not real happy with myself. I got nervous and let the situation have the best of me.

We went out that evening and didn't see a single hog. The next morning I was ready. I wasn't going to make the same mistake again. We were driving out so the guide could show us spots to watch. We came up to a small pond where several smaller hogs were hanging out. We walked out to see if we could see if there were any larger hogs. There were three below a tree drinking. I had a small spot between two trees that I could get a good shot. I was trying to let them back away from the water. When this one put his head up the other two turned so I didn't have a clear shot of only hitting one. This guy got another drink and put his head up right into my crosshairs and I took the shot hitting just behind the ear. He then took a nice jump right into the pond. He was kickin & kickin went right out to the middle and dropped. Too Funny. Although not excited my guide went in and got it. Mr Prone2 wouldn't let me go in. They were talking about leaving it! I told them that they couldn't stop me if I decided to go in after it. The guide had never had this happen before and wasn't sure how deep it was. I told him I didn't care and didn't have a problem going in after it. He went in then. I think not to be shown up by a sheila. I was so proud. I hit right where I aimed and took it down. This really built up my confidence. I don't want to wound an animal that will die days later. So I felt really good about the nice shot & kill.

I used my NEF 308 instead of my AK47 because it was a single shot and I didn't want to think about the fact that I had more shots. I wanted it done with one.

Thanks for reading.
I really enjoy reading the forums on here. I have learned a lot through you conversations. Keep em up.
Old June 23, 2009, 08:04 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Fly guy,
where you at?
boartuff outdoors does an annual hog hunt in oklahoma. If you wanna leave the guns at home and grab you some hind legs, I may can help here in the florida panhandle.
Brent
Old June 23, 2009, 09:45 PM   #11
banditt007

good work! and i like the ethics you have in shooting animals, i wish more people felt the same way. Congrats. I'm sure you now know what a satisfying feeling it is to hunt and be successful. Nice shirt BTW.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Fat White Boy

Mrs Prone wasn't lucky- She aimed for it, hit it and took it home, all according to plan. Take some credit, ma'am! You did well...
Old June 23, 2009, 10:48 PM   #13
Halifax270

Well done!
Old June 23, 2009, 10:59 PM   #14
cbrgator

That's a big pig. Congratulations.
Old June 23, 2009, 11:35 PM   #15
Nnobby45

Quote:
Mrs Prone wasn't lucky- She aimed for it, hit it and took it home, all according to plan. Take some credit, ma'am! You did well...
That's what I was gonna say. How you gonna splain to her why you called her shot lucky?
Old June 24, 2009, 08:47 AM   #16
PRONE2

Not a lucky shot

I didn't say it was a lucky shot we had luck on getting on some fine hogs and then getting lucky with a great shot opp. In no way was her shot lucky. She has spent EVERY weakend at the range for the past 3 months. She had never shot before July 08, and was dead set on learning to shoot and shoot well. When hunting luck has alot to do with seeing the game and haveing a shot opp, but when shooting it all comes down to practice, and that is what she did.
Old June 24, 2009, 08:54 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What was the sex of them? Boar, sow, barr?
Brent
Old June 24, 2009, 09:29 AM   #18
PRONE2

sex of hogs

Brent
Big one was 250lb sow, 2nd was a 185 boar, and I shot a 70lb boar for a whole pig roast. That one was fun, saw him in the open, creeped up to 85yards and put it through his eyes, he hit the ground did the shuffel . Linein up for that eye shot was a blast gonna cook that little one up on 4th of July for Mrs and I anniversary!
Old June 24, 2009, 09:37 AM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you skinned the little one, I got some tips to insure moisture and increase flavor.
Get a couple pounds of "fatback" or odds and ends cheap smoked bacon, several bulbs of garlic if you like it, and several apples.
Take a filet knife and pierce straight in on all large cuts such as all four hams, and the neck and back. stuff a half thumb size piece of the bacon, a third to half clove of garlic (3rd for large clove, half for smaller cloves), a 3/4 inch or so cube of apple into each slot. You could have 40-75 of these slots. Make slits along grain not across it for best results.
I have stuffed the cavity of smaller pigs and sewn up with stainless safety wire and wrapped with foil for first hour or 2 cooking time.
Best of luck with the roast! AND ANNIVERSARY!
Brent
Old June 24, 2009, 10:44 AM   #20
flyguyskt

HOG DOGS:

im in south dakota.

pm'd you.

so do you hunt them with dogs then shoot em or thump em with a club?

would trade a hog hunt for a dog hunt....prairie type dogs that is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prairiedog-.jpg (5.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by flyguyskt; June 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old June 29, 2009, 09:45 AM   #21
dallas-shooting

Very Nice!!! Hog hunting is my favority hunting!! Congrats and welcome to the addiction!!
Old June 29, 2009, 09:56 AM   #22
tmd11111

Quote:
I got nervous and let the situation have the best of me.
Thats called Buck Fever.....Anyone who has ever hunted has had this their first time out. If they say otherwise, they are lying through their teeth.

BTW, You did great

Last edited by tmd11111; June 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old June 29, 2009, 10:04 AM   #23
dallas-shooting

I get buck fever everytime I hog hunt. Thats the beauty of hog hunting for me, I get to hunt them anytime I want with no bag limits. ITs the thrill of deer hunting for me and get to do it all year.
Old June 29, 2009, 10:44 PM   #24
sheila hunter

comments

Thank you for all the wonderful welcomes and comments on my 1st kill.
Chloe