The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 22, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1
bbqbob51

Using Loctite when mounting M-223 on my Windham Weaponry SRC

I am a proud owner of a new Windham Weaponry SRC and am mounting a Nikon M-223 1-4 scope on it. I am using the Nikon Nikon M-223 AR Mount and am wondering about the proper use of Loctite on the screws. What's the recommendation on which Loctite? The light duty green or the medium duty blue? Should I apply the Loctite after the screws are seated, letting it wick in or before tightening? Should I use it on just the base or on the rings also? What do most of you do?
Thanks!
Old September 23, 2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Creeper

Technically... none of those Loc-tite products are correct for 1/4" and smaller, low torque value screws. The correct Loc-tite is 222 "purple"... which is not readily available at the local big box hardware store. Having said that, most folks have 242 "blue" Loc-tite on hand and will use that... which is OK.

The wick-&-lock or "after the fact" Loc-tite is called 290 "green" and can be used on sub 1/4" fasteners down to 2.2mm. Unlike 242 however, it may require heat to disassemble.

The most important thing is cleanliness and torque. All parts should be clean and grease/oil free. If you don't have one, get a inexpensive torque screwdriver like a Wheeler FAT torque screwdriver. Don't go over 20 in.lbs. on the rings, or 35 in.lbs. on the bases unless they are oversize tactical base screws... and even then, I would not exceed 45 in.lbs.

Cheers,
C
Old September 23, 2012, 06:51 PM   #3
bbqbob51

Creeper, Thanks for the info!
Old September 23, 2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Creeper

You are welcome Bob.

If that's the 3 screw Nikon base mount, torque the screws from the center out in small increments. Apparently... if they are tightened at too high a value from front to back or visa versa, they may cock on the rail and require excessive amounts of windage adjustment to be used up in getting on target.

Have fun with it,
C
Old September 24, 2012, 07:46 AM   #5
customaquatics

Do not use red!!!!!!! you will break your tools before you break the seal with a wrench using the red stuff.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.