The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Midwest Matt

What is the best way to store brass?

How does everyone store there brass?

Do you put it in ziploc bags? Add something for humidity? Clean it first?

I'm looking to store several thousand rounds and just want to make sure it will stay good for a few years to come.
Old January 1, 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
That'll Do

I clean my brass, then sort it by caliber and headstamp, then keep it in ziplock bags.
Old January 1, 2009, 06:32 PM   #3
BigV

I use plastic coffee cans.
I clean, de-prime, resize, (trim if for one of my rifles), re-prime and then store away until I need to load them up.
Old January 1, 2009, 06:40 PM   #4
ZX10Aviator

I tumble them when I get home, and put them into plastic containers with lids, then they go on shelf. Mine live in my house so dont really have to worry about moisture
Old January 1, 2009, 07:00 PM   #5
lookylou

I found 4 drawer plastic containers at Staples last year. The entire box is about 12" by 12", with 4 drawers in each container. I have 8 of them on the shelving of my reloading bench. Best thing is, Staples was blowing them out for about $2 each. I keep clean brass in each one, with .45 colt and .45acp using 2 of the boxes each, the others divided between .38/.357, .40 and .44 mag.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:04 PM   #6
sserdlihc

I use old clear plastic mayonaise jars and peanut butter jars. Just clean them real good with soap and water and let them air dry for a day and you are good to go!!!
Old January 1, 2009, 07:10 PM   #7
BigJimP

I store them in good 10 gallon rubbermaid plastic bins with lids - by caliber - so I can stack them. If you go with a pretty durable bin - even full of brass - you can stack them about 5 high.

When I get home from range - I dump the mixed brass into a "mixed dirty bin" - then I sort them into bins by caliber (using sorting shaker trays) - and when the dirty bin is full, I run them thru the vibrating cleaner - then store them in a "clean .45 acp" or whatever caliber bin - ready to lube and toss in the case feeder for loading. I store them all in my shop inside the house - so condensation is not a problem. Keeping them in an environment where you will get any condensation will be a problem.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Ziplock bags for now. When we get our back room organized, I'm thinking of using ammo cans that seal well.

It's no big deal on storage unless you're planning on storing them out in the garage. Worst case scenario is that they may tarnish a bit out in uncontrolled environment. I like mine shiney and pretty, so they stay inside.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 1, 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Midwest Matt

So what is a shaker tray? Not familiar at all with them.

So, as long as I run the brass through a tumbler, keep it inside, then a ziploc or rubbermaid tote will do?
Old January 1, 2009, 11:27 PM   #10
armedtotheteeth

I keep all the old junk in coffee cans, or open trays. When I get around to getting it ready to be loaded, I keep it seal up in ammo cans, with some Desicant packs in with it. I keep all the little desicant packs i get in shoes, toys, or whatever and use them to keep ammo dry. I have a gob of ammo that is still perfectly shiny after years.
I also got some big ones ( 3 pounders) tossed in the safe. Keeps the guns clean as a whistle.
Old January 1, 2009, 11:33 PM   #11
PCJim

Matt, this is an example of the shaker trays referred to for sorting brass by caliber... http://http://www.midwayusa.com/epro...eitemid=847836

I personally don't believe that empty brass needs to be kept in a climate controlled environment. Mine is not. It is stored in either 50 cal ammo cans or Folger's plastic coffee cans, depending upon the caliber and the rotation schedule (I make sure I don't continuously reload the same brass by practicing "inventory" rotation).

There may be some advantage in doing so in that it may help prevent premature tarnishing of the brass which would result in a dull looking case. However, that doesn't effect the function or accuracy of the ammo once loaded. You do want to keep it protected from contamination - cat spray, mice/rat pee, etc., not only due to the smell and stigma of working with such, but the ammonia in either would have a detrimental effect on the brass.
Old January 2, 2009, 03:23 AM   #12
10 Spot Terminator

Good idea to clean the brass first to be sure to remove any traces of caustic matierials. If you live in a high humidity area or have to use the basement of your home as your storage area then you might want to do what I have done for my brass storage. I found a quantity of new silica gel anti humidifier packages at a military surplus outlet and add a couple of them to my bagged brass. I use my food saver vacuum packer as well but ziploc heavy freezer bags should do fine too. The vacuum packer may be a little on the extreme side but you cant say I dont know how to cover my own brass ,,,