The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 5, 2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Wasper

KAHR K40 Reassembly Help Needed

I recently received a Kahr K40 totally disassembled in a shoe box. I used a parts schematic to reassemble everything so far except the trigger assembly. It looks pretty simple but I have a few questions.

1. The trigger spacer has a small flat cut into it's round edge. What is the purpose of this flat and how should it be positioned when placed into the trigger?

2. The trigger spring has a straight leg and a slightly bent leg. Which leg is suppose to be positioned in the slot or "spring seat" in the forward end of the trigger? Does the tip of the forward leg of the spring rest against the frame?

3. Getting the trigger, trigger bar, spacer and spring all lined up and pressed into place while driving the tight trigger pin though seems like it will be a bit challenging. I'm leaning towards making a slightly undersized slave pin to assist me. Any other opinions?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I called Kahr but they just told me to send the gun to them.

Thanks !
Old April 5, 2011, 02:10 PM   #2
ZeSpectre

DISCLAIMER: I do not own this model Kahr (K40) but have dealt with others in the line so I have a general idea of what goes where.

Quote:
1. The trigger spacer has a small flat cut into it's round edge. What is the purpose of this flat and how should it be positioned when placed into the trigger?
I don't know.

Quote:
2. The trigger spring has a straight leg and a slightly bent leg. Which leg is suppose to be positioned in the slot or "spring seat" in the forward end of the trigger? Does the tip of the forward leg of the spring rest against the frame?
"Left" and "Right" are as you hold the pistol frame pointed away from you like you are going to shoot it. Holding the trigger spring so the loop is up and the legs are down, the left leg should point away from you and the right leg <EDIT: the one with the bend> should point towards you.

On guns like this I use a correctly sized punch inserted from the left as a guide. As I push the pin in it pushes the punch out of the way. Remember the trigger pin has to be inserted from right to left. Also...I recommend doing this inside a big (gallon) plastic freezer bag so that if the spring goes "ping" you can find it easily.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; April 5, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old April 5, 2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Wasper

Ze,

Thanks for the reply.

I figured out the flat deal, it's just a clearance cut. The trigger spring (torsion type) has two legs, one straight and the other slightly bent upward. If you hold the spring "loop up" you can turn it 180 degrees and still have a left and right leg. Hold it with the bent leg to the rear and the straight leg is on the left. Bent leg in front and the straight leg will be on the right. It will fit either way and still be tensioned. I just need to figure out which leg goes on the left where the slot in the trigger is and if it's tip is supposed to rest on the frame in order to tension it.
Old April 5, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

sorry... I meant to say that I believe the "bent tip" goes in the trigger (to the rear). Sometimes my fingers and my brain don't communicate well.
Old April 5, 2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Wasper

Thanks Ze,
I finally got it figured out. Wasn't as difficult as it seemed, just never put a Kahr back together before. Had to put the right grip panel on to keep the trigger bar from falling out while positioning the spring & spacer. The front leg of the spring does rest on the frame. Those trigger pins are really tight though...thank God for bench blocks and Starrett punches. Appreciate the advice.