The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Bezoar

federal champion, and lubrication

ive purchased a partial case of federal champion 38 special 158 grain lrn. The wierd thing is 95 percent of the rounds ive inspected all have something on them, it feels like a violin bow that has been overly rosined.

is that merely bullet lube or something special being put on the cases?
Old May 26, 2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I don't recall ever finding something like that on factory ammo. I could be wrong since it has been a while since I purchased any factory ammo in that caliber. All I have left now is Winchester on the shelf. What type of bullet are they loaded with?
Old May 26, 2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Might be bullet lube if the case got hot in transit and the lube flowed. Could have been a packaging machine problem. I would wipe off the excess and see how they shoot. Odorless mineral spirits, just enough to dampen the rag, may help.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 26, 2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Bezoar

standard pressure 38 special, 158 grain lead round nose. in the boxes its a little varied on the amount of residue on the cases. doesnt seem an issue.

after all i have a box of winchester 130 grain fmj in 38 special that have a lot of bulge around the bullets.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

By bulge, do you mean the mirroring of the bullet position under the brass? If that's what you mean, how apparent that is usually just depends on the original size the brass was given by the forming machines. There should normally be at least a little, as, otherwise, the brass probably has no real grip on the bullet other than at the crimp (though I have seen some like that). As long as the OD of the brass over the bullet doesn't exceed 0.379" and the brass below its base isn't narrower than 0.373", it's still observing SAAMI standards.

The wax, BTW, won't likely hurt anything as long as the rounds fit the chambers. The only functional issue would be if it thickens the cartridge enough to pose a problem using a speed loader. It will also tend to pick up grit if you eject your cases onto a dirty surface, meaning you'd want to clean them afterward to protect your dies.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; May 27, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Slamfire

Impossible to say without examining the rounds. I am of the opinion that cases are tumbled in a media that has wax. The wax keeps the cases shiny and that makes the seller happy as humans like shiny things. Maybe the wax is breaking down.