The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
hhunter318

Steelshot Reload

I'm new to shotshell reloading and just got a MEC loader. What is a good load for water fowl? Thanks in advance.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
snuffy

I dunno, what cha shootin??¿¿

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 26, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
PA-Joe

Is this set up for steel shot. You may need a conversion kit that gives you a different drop tube.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Gbro

The first couple of years I reloaded Steel, what a PIT backside!
The component prices caused me to give up on steel reloading. Cutting wads, adding buffers, kit pricing, NO-THANK-U, Please!
Although the cushion that was added to charge bars was a good thing to come from steel reloading and when the shot bottle tips, cleanup with a magnet is much better than lead shot cleanup
Again, you will need to list what shell you are going to build and be ready to do lots and lots of patterning.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
hhunter318

Honestly I'm in the dark on this one. I want a 3" duck load. Using Winchester hulls. 1-3/8 or 1-1/2 oz. shot size. Metallic reloading is much much simpler than this.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

No, actually shotshell is the easiest and most forgiving; however, as stated, MEC makes a steel shot specific reloader. After getting the right equipment, go to Hodgdon or Alliant's websites and match the correct components to your hull