The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 7, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
chilly460

Used S&W 1911 DK vs New Ruger SR1911

Hello All -

Decided it was time to pick up a 1911. I've shot a couple, but never owned one or shot them extensively. I'm looking for a < $1000 model, and wanted a few basic upgrades like extended beavertail, flared ejection port, chamfered mag well, etc. Nothing extravagant, but not a basic GI model.

I ran by the LGS to check out the Ruger SR1911 as that is the gun that seemed to pique my interest most. I do like this model, trigger felt nice, and they get good reviews. The shop also had a nice used S&W 1911 DK. I would have to get used to the flat trigger, but the pull was nicer than the Ruger. Coming from striker fired guns, even tuned, the SA pull on the 1911 is very nice.

The Ruger is $800, the DK is $950 and in good shape. Any opinions on how this "deal" looks, are there any inherent benefits to the DK over what I said about the trigger?
Old March 7, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
whippoorwill

If you're planning on carrying, you might prefer the more compact rear sight on the Ruger. Both are nice.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
chilly460

I knew I forgot some info! This will not be a carry gun, and is intended to be a target gun.

I'm somewhat new to handguns, so for now I just shoot paper at an indoor range, but having fun learning the ropes.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:25 PM   #4
orionengnr

Looks like they are asking MSRP on the Ruger, while the S&W is about $350 below MSRP.

Yes, the S&W is used, but it sounds worth looking into.
I'm not crazy about target sights, or the two-tone finish, but those are the only negatives I can come up with.

Both S&W and Ruger build very good handguns, and both have a strong reputation for Customer Service (should you ever need it).

In the interest of full disclosure, I own an S&W 1911, and like it very much, but I am also on my LGS's waiting list for a Ruger 1911.

I don't think you can go too far wrong either way.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5

This is a tough one. Both are great pistols. The Ruger is actually high at $800 unless it's the new Commander version which is fetching premium prices right now. If it's a Goverment sized SR1911, $800 is too high. I'm not up on S&W 1911 model numbers, but doesn't DK refer to a Doug Koenig model? If it is, it has some extra touches done by S&W's custom shop but the price seems too low for that. I have experience with the 1911 Sc Commander length my shooting partner used to own. It was a fantastic 1911 and that Scandium frame is just a hair heavier than aluminum and closer to titanium in strength. Good luck with your choice.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:28 AM   #6
chilly460

The Ruger is a 5" model. The SW is the Doug Koenig (sp?) model.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:49 AM   #7
willmc33

The Doug Koenig all day!!