The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 4, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Dirk Pitt

scope basics for hunting rifle

I have a early 70's .308 from Mossberg that I intend to hunt with. It has an older,fixed power scope that is a pos. I can't afford much for optics, what should I look for in a low priced scope for dear hunting out to no more than 200yds or so? Not sure about the terms, such as eye relief,field of view etc.,so any help is much appreciated. Bob.
Old April 4, 2009, 01:58 PM   #2
zoomie

Eye relief ~3.5-4.5" oughta work for you. Try to go somewhere like Cabelas that's got a wooden/rubber gun to test out several scopes. For only out to 200 yards on medium-large size game/targets, 4-5x would work, too.

Problem is, cheap optics are just that - cheap. And you didn't define "low price." A Bushnell Sportsman for less than $100 might work for you, but stepping up to a Nikon ProStaff or Leupold Rifleman would likely serve you better long-term.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Shorthair

Hi Dirk,
I'd look at the Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 or Simmons Whitetail Classic 2x10x44 as absolute minimums, both about $100.
Better would be Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 or Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 in the $180 range.
Look here: http://www.swfa.com/default.aspx

Quote:
Nikon ProStaff or Leupold Rifleman
What zoomie said too for the second tier $180 range.

Quote:
what should I look for in a low priced scope for dear hunting
Probably wouldn't want to post in a public forum you'll be hunting your dear, either
Old April 4, 2009, 02:18 PM   #4
zoomie

Also... if you decide to look for higher end scopes, I think you gain in quality up to about $500. After that, I think the law of diminishing returns takes over and most guys won't gain anything by spending more (unless you're looking for a niche optic, like the Trijicon ACOG). I'm sure a $1800 Swarovski is better than a $450 VX-III, but I think very, very few users would appreciate the differences.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:19 PM   #5
fisherman66

Bushnell Banner is a good solid and inexpensive scope.
Old April 4, 2009, 04:54 PM   #6
sholling

If you can squeeze together $210 plus shipping then I'd go for the Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40. It's a private label Nikon Monarch UCC (a 4-Star scope on the Hawks scale) - a very good scope optically equal to many $350 scopes. I own two of these and recommend them highly.

If you can't afford $210 then I'd look at the Weaver Classic V9 3-9x38 for $150. Again a very good scope, not in the same league as the Team Primos but it's a pretty darn good scope. This would be my second choice among these. I own several V-Series Weavers and like them a lot.

If you'd rather have a fixed power then the Weaver K6 6x38 can be had for $130, or a K4 4x38 for $135. I own a 4x38 and it's a good scope.

Here is how they compare on the scope food chain...

Edit: Here's an article that may help you understand what you need.
Scope Magnification and Rifle Caliber

Last edited by sholling; April 4, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old April 4, 2009, 07:12 PM   #7
publius

The Bushnell Elite and Burris Fullfield are both very good scopes. Leupold Rifleman is also in that price range.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn

Right about $100

Get it with the Circle-Dot reticle, it is fantastic for deer and other big game.

It's 3-9X40, good low light capability, if you can see it to have any chance of shooting then you can certainly see it through the scope.

I have one on my Remington 1187, eye relief and reliability under recoil are no problem.

If you don't care about the Circle-Dot reticle then I'd go with something from Mueller. I actually think that they are a superior scope but the Circle-Dot sells me on the Mueller for big game.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Dirk Pitt

Thanks for the good recommendations, guys. And thank you, Sholling for the helpful links to some very good info. Last time I went hunting was 25 years ago, don't exactly know what brought on this itch, but, who am I to argue? Bob.
Old April 15, 2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Major Dave (retired)

Pentax

Pentax "Gameseeker", 3 to 9 power, 40mm objective - about $120, new.
Old April 15, 2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
The Bushnell Elite and Burris Fullfield are both very good scopes. Leupold Rifleman is also in that price range.
In that price range but no where near that quality range. The problem with the Rifleman line is that it is a $75 quality scope with a $175 price tag. I just don't understand why somebody would want to buy it when for just a little more they can step up to the VX-1 and get a much better scope.