The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 28, 2009, 05:23 PM   #1
sdkidaho

Conceal & Carry Jacket

The NRA has a jacket that has a chest pocket and that pocket has a velcro type system in it for a holster and some magazines. Anyone have one of these or have any thing good or bad to say about them?:

Jacket:
http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....uctid=SS%20690

Holster:
http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....tid=SS%2020000

Mag holder:
http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....tid=SS%2020002

They are made by 5.11 Tactical. I haven't bought any of their products before so I don't know much about them, but it looked kind of cool for a conceal and carry jacket.
Old March 29, 2009, 01:32 AM   #2
moose fat

I don't have one and have never worn one but, options are a good thing. I have just carried in my Parka pocket or jacket pocket, if it had a holster and mag system incorporated it would be better.

I hve been looking at Coronado Leather for some years, someday.

http://www.coronadoleather.com/
Old March 29, 2009, 01:50 AM   #3
MrNiceGuy

It's a fleece first and foremost.
The material is too pliable and anything you try to conceal will pattern horribly and most likely cause the chest to droop.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:38 AM   #4
Stick_man

I think the NRA emblem on it is also a little bit of advertising that you may be carrying a weapon. Why advertise that fact? I really like that jacket but perhaps no emblem or a random emblem might be a little better idea?

Just my .02 worth.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Gunner69

Co-Worker has one.. It is a fairly heavy weight canvas and actually wears very nicely...the NRA logo is barely perceptable from any distance at all as it is a very similar color of thread as the jacket material. The holster and pocket are roomy enough to hold a mid framed handgun and still allow you to draw from it fairly smoothly. I can fit my XD 45 service into it but it tends to hang up on the rail when drawing it. however its a gperfect fit for my P11 and I just wear my XD in a IWB.
Old March 29, 2009, 04:32 PM   #6
chris in va

MrNiceGuy said it. I have the SigTac jacket (heavy cordura) and it's fairly obvious when carrying my Sig 220. One side is lower than the other!

Couldn't imagine doing the same with fleece material. It would have to be a very light firearm.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The material is too pliable and anything you try to conceal will pattern horribly and most likely cause the chest to droop.
That was my thoughts on it as well. You'd be better off buying a good holster (OWB/IWB) and covering it with your normal jacket.
Old March 30, 2009, 08:05 AM   #8
sam1chlt

I have the NRA tea shirt which is great for daily carry. I sometimes forget that I have my pistol and ammo!!

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....oductid=682b-w
Old March 30, 2009, 09:50 AM   #9
sdkidaho

I thought about it patterning as well, but I think that's what the holster that fits in the chest pocket does, much like a pocket holster for your pants - it breaks up your weapons silhouette.

As for the droop - yeah, I wondered about that as well.

Quote:
Gunner69 Wrote: Co-Worker has one.. It is a fairly heavy weight canvas and actually wears very nicely...the NRA logo is barely perceptible from any distance at all as it is a very similar color of thread as the jacket material.
Does your buddy have an issue with it drooping at all? And what type of gun is he carrying? I'd most likely be carrying my Springfield Micro .45, not a huge gun but heavy enough.
Old March 30, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10
sholling

Any cloth jacket is going to droop. Of the leather ones I've tried Sig and Coronado Leather and the only one that I can recommend is Coronado Leather.
Old April 10, 2009, 05:01 PM   #11
licensed2carry.com

We design and manufacture the CCW for men and women.

We actually design our CCW jackets that are very well recieved:

Some specs on our jackets are:

1. Dual sided concealment pocket system with commercial grade holster (so firearm doesnt flop around)-
2. NO VELCRO access--to noisy and kinda defeats the purpose in those tactical situations
3. Premium leather (calfskin, sheep, shearling, bison, lambskin)
4. Premium Cloth (Duck workmens style, waterproof tactical style (think orvis/ the northface), and also premium wool
5. Made for men and women

6. Tactical functionality with department store designs. Since we design our jackets here in the USA, they are not only trendy, classic styles..but look like something off the racks of fine retailers..but have the concealement functionality. IN essence, you get two jackets for the price of one.

7. YKK zipper hardware.

8. premium linings from satin, to cashmere, to premium fleece.

9. Shirt jacket styles for the warmer weather
10. No printing.

Our jackets and gear are starting to be used by the safety schools and training, which is very cool.

Our code for easter is "easterweek" and you will get 20% off

here is the site for your viewing:

www.licensed2carry.com
Old April 10, 2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Jofaba

I am an NRA member, but don't think that I will be buying any NRA gear. I don't want to advertise that I am a member because I don't feel like making random social statements or alerting anyone that I may be carrying (which I will in a few weeks once I get my permit in).

I may be wrong, and I hope that I am not opening any kind of can of worms here, but whenever I see "tactical" clothes, it feels like the equivalent of walking into a Hot Topic. I can see changing your wardrobe up to allow the kind of carry that you want to, but the options out there for straps and holsters seem, at least to someone like me who hasn't carried yet and plan on doing so soon, so vast that you can pretty much carry with any kind of clothes you want.

Mostly goes back to advertising though. We go through pains to prevent printing, and then we stamp a big NRA on our chest? Seems a little counter-productive to me.
Old April 16, 2009, 03:40 PM   #13
sdkidaho

Quote:
Our code for easter is "easterweek" and you will get 20% off

here is the site for your viewing:

www.licensed2carry.com
Thanks! I hadn't seen your site so I'll give that a look.