The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 1999, 10:04 PM   #1
StanA

I just traded a old Taruas PT-908 9mm auto that I had paid $250.00 for originaly from a friend for a Mossberg 500 with the 20in barrel, 8 shot, Parkerized flat finish, metal heat shield, It also has a rear pistol grip. Plus four boxes of assorted shells. Did I come out OK?
I think I might want to get a standard rear grip later (Stock Synthetic style) about how much and where? Also which ammo for home defence? Thanks for any help. Stan.
Old October 29, 1999, 02:33 AM   #2
Woody

StanA you did alright on the deal money wise.

As for the stock go to a few gun shows in your area and look around. There are usualy a few booths that have some synthetic stocks for the Mossberg 500 shotguns. Expect to pay around $50.00 for the rear stock alone.

Ammo if you live in an apartment get some
7 1/2 bird loads. They hit like a slug at close range under 10 feet but usually will not go through the wall and kill the neighbor. For more rural settings get some #4 buckshot good out to around 30 yards or so. Farther than that slugs are O.K. to aroun 60-70 yards with practice.
Old November 3, 1999, 02:10 AM   #3
mib61

Sounds like a great deal on a good gun to me.You're wise to replace that stock with a non-pistol grip, full length synthetic version. The gun show search could be a economical route. But if it doesn't pan out, you can order a factory replacement from Mossberg. For contact information, go to:
www.mossberg.com

Also, you can check out good aftermarket stocks and other shotgun parts and accessories from Choate, which is where I got the magazine extension for my own Mossberg:
www.riflestock.com

And if your defense/tactical shotgun only has a bead sight on it, you might eventually consider upgrading to a ghost ring sight system. That's what I did, with an adjustable ghost ring rear and a tritium nightsight front mounted on the correct height ramp. Got mine, very well made unit, from:
www.mmcsight.com

Regards,

------------------
mib61

Old November 3, 1999, 02:37 AM   #4
StanA

Thanks for every ones help! But I think I just screwed up like real bad! I was at a gun show in my state this weekend and they had a the plastic moss500 stock laying there and it was marked 35.oo bucks I was trying to be swave said I would give you 30.00 for it he said no. Well he had a attitude too like he could care less so I walked. I guess now after reading about the 50.00 bucks I am a bumb A**! Maybe I can find another good deal later a and try to live with the pistol grip for a while.
Old November 3, 1999, 01:59 PM   #5
Wallew

Your deal is fine. I found a black syn Mossberg buttstock for $40.63 from Brownells catalog #52. You can reach Brownells by going to www.brownells.com or by calling 515-623-4000. The part number for that buttstock is #631-000-248 Buttstock, Syn, Field, Black $40.63.

Hope this helps.
Old November 3, 1999, 07:48 PM   #6
StanA

Thanks Wallew! I will check them out. By the way last night I was cleaning my 500 and thought I would see how is the pistol grip was to take off. The allen head bolt is on there so tight! I am not sure how to break it loose? Are they normally that tight?
Old November 4, 1999, 03:26 AM   #7
Woody

StanA the allen head screw shoudn't be screwed
on super tight it is a standard screw (righty
tighty lefty loosey). If you are worried about stripping the threads to get it off use some penetrating oil I like Kroil you can get it from Brownells. Put some on and let it soak for 20 minutes or so and it should back out fine.
Old November 5, 1999, 03:04 AM   #8
boing

The pistol grip on my M500 was screwed on "factory tight" when I bought it. I just applied extra force to the screw until it came loose. But then, I've been known to take an X-acto knife to my Glock, so...

BTW- Ya done good on the deal. Go with the shoulder stock.

[This message has been edited by boing (edited November 05, 1999).]
Old November 5, 1999, 03:13 PM   #9
LongDuck

I replaced my standard synthetic black rear stock with a SpeedFeed II and have it just sitting out in the garage. I was thinking about cutting it down for the wife to shoot dove with, but it's too much trouble - she seems to do fine with the SpeedFeed and she gets some good tactical practice in, too.

I'd be willing to send it to you for $60 with the matching black synthetic forearm - I pay shipping to ConUS. Let me know if you're interested,

[This message has been edited by LongDuck (edited November 05, 1999).]
Old November 5, 1999, 07:45 PM   #10
StanA

Thanks LongDuck for the offer butI really ony need a rear stock. You said something the made me think thought. I wonder if you can use a short Bantam stock like Mossberg has listed in there catalog on the 410 on the 500. I mean I now you can but is it any advantage over standard length? Standard stock just a tad shorter I don't know if it would be of any benefit though? Just thinking tactical? Seems like I read on here about a big guy wondering why they made it so long anyhow? I am 6 feet tall by the way. Or should I just buy a standard length stock. Just thinking of ideas to go to from my pistol grip thats on there now?