The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 04:31 PM   #51
thedudeabides

I want something accurate and powerful.

I have posted about my hog hunting rig before which is a G20 with Ameriglo ghost ring night sights. I shoot 220 hard cast Buffalo Bore... which is somewhere about 700 ft lbs.

45 Super would be another choice.

With hogs, don't use JHP. You want to penetrate their thick hide and not make them mad and just wound them.

I don't want to be cornered by 300 pounds of angry bacon.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:37 PM   #52
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I wanna know where folks are hiking that pigs are attacking them.
My family has several thousand acres near McIntosh, AL. There have been several instances where family members and hunters have been charged by hogs. One family member made it up a tripod stand and killed the hog with a .357 to the head.

Around there we prefer our .357's, 10mm's, .44 mags, and .45 LC's.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:10 PM   #53
tipoc

There have been a number of attacks by feral hogs on people over the years. While they are rare they do occur.

If we rule out insect attacks, which kill more people each year than any other type and snake bites which also kill more people in the U.S. each year than cougers, bears, mastodons, etc. If we focus just on the dreaded Mammal on Mammal Violence we find that attacks by hogs on humans are still rarer than attacks by dogs (domestic and feral) and are reportedly less common than attacks by bears which are pretty rare.

Hog encounters are rare but they have been increasing and it's hard to get a handle on the exact number because if someone isn't seriously injured it may not be reported. "Non-Fatal" and non serious injury attacks by bears and cougars usually are reported and make it into the local press. Being chased by a bear down a road will make the press, not so a chase by a hog. That's because in many areas people are so used to seeing wild pigs that while we are leery of them we don't think of them as "deadly" or uncommon.

Quote:
An article written in 1998 by Robert Burns for the Texas Agricultural Extension Service talks of two attacks in Texas.

“In one instance, a boar attacked a woman on a Fort Worth jogging trail. Two years ago, a Cherokee County deer hunter died from a feral hog attack.”
Other incidents have been more dramatic;

Quote:
The Benton County Daily Record chronicled a wild boar that, “attacked and flipped a utility vehicle on a job site in Waco… and severely injured a Gentry man.”

The story details that, “Greg Lemke, who designs chicken houses for Latco Inc. of Lincoln, was a passenger in a utility vehicle when the wild boar struck the rear of the vehicle, causing it to flip with Lemke inside.”

“The accident left Lemke paralyzed from the breast bone down.”walked away from the accident, Garcia said.

According to the story, the accident happened shortly after Lemke and his co-workers who were all riding in the utility vehicle heard a pack of wild boars.

"When they heard them, they wanted to go look at them. One of the hogs started chasing them,” Garcia said
Like bears have done in some parts of California, hogs have waliked into a persons house;

Quote:
The Pineville Town Talk tells the story of a Pineville, La man who had a pig enter the house he was visiting.

“Boston Kyles, 20, of 497 Pelican Drive told deputies he was visiting his sister's house at the time of the incident. He said he had gone there to clean fish and was sitting in the house's front room when the pig entered through the front door. Kyles told deputies he stomped the floor to try to shoo the pig out of the room, but the pig charged him, Maj. Herman Walters said.”

“Walters had heard of pigs attacking people in the woods but said this was the first time he had heard of a pig going into a house and attacking someone.
The article I lifted these incidents from is here...

http://panews.com/outdoors/x68144617...rare-but-scary

So rare but scary.

tipoc
Old March 19, 2013, 02:21 PM   #54
tipoc

One thing that effects the figures for attacks by hogs is that they are also farm animals and animals that we kill on an industrial scale. I worked for a few years in a cut and kill plant in St. Joseph, Mo. (I also knew and know a number of hog farmers.) We killed many, many hogs daily. When one would get loose and make a run for it the crazed beast would hurt anything in it's way. But such incidents, like those on a farm are not listed anywhere as "animal attacks on humans". They are listed as industrial accidents.

But attached here is a PDF file on the numbers of deaths annually from animal attacks from 1991 to 2001. Hogs did not make the list. They might now.

http://www.scark.org/docs/Animal%20R...Fatalities.pdf

Some things of interest in the report. Men walking alone seem to be attacked more often than females walking alone. Most attacks occur in the Southern states. Most attacks involve Caucasion males.

From what I've read the same is true of recent hog attacks as well. So if you can avoid all three of those things, statistically, you may be pretty safe. Go for 2 out of three and you're likely fairly safe. If you got all three, well then as Rooster Cogburn said in True Grit, "I can not help you son".

Personally I'm less scared of a mano a mano with a two hundred pound elk than a two hundred pound hog. The elk is vicious, fast and strong, the horns can pierce and shred, the hoofs are deadly hard and sharp, but...I see it eye to eye. It stands on it's four legs as tall as I do on my hind legs. I can wrestle it to the ground. With knife and gun it's mine. I've personally knocked a 140 pound deer to the ground with my shoulder.

Not so the hog. The pig is low to the earth. It's center of gravity down there and hard to toss. To fight it eye to eye you gotta be on the ground where we are at our weakest against the boar. It slashes at your legs side to side and will try to toss you. If truly feral it will grow tusks which can get to 7-8" in length, or longer. It slashes with it's teeth and tusks. It's neck and shoulders are strong, no choking it. It can bite. The same teeth that tear roots of trees can break a bone. It's fast, much faster than a human in the brush. Kicking it has no effect if full grown or more than a yearling. Most folks it kills bleed out before they can get help.

But usually, in the outdoors, they just run away.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; March 19, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:37 PM   #55
scottycoyote

i havent weighed it but my glock29 with a full mag feels like it weighs around 2lbs.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:38 PM   #56
smallshot

Not enough gun?

Gotta love internet forum snipers. Can't kill a hog with a .45 ? Yeah right, whatever. The .45 is a useless round. Not enough penetration or expansion to kill a couple of thousand people (or tens of thousands) in two World Wars and more than a couple of international police actions, (ie; Korea, Vietnam, Central America, and the Middle East), and was just lucky when it came to hanging around for over a hundred years. I wouldn't even consider carrying one for hogs. Not at all. Seriously ? Where do these guys come from?
Old March 19, 2013, 03:02 PM   #57
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Gotta love internet forum snipers. Can't kill a hog with a .45 ? Yeah right, whatever. The .45 is a useless round. Not enough penetration or expansion to kill a couple of thousand people (or tens of thousands) in two World Wars and more than a couple of international police actions, (ie; Korea, Vietnam, Central America, and the Middle East), and was just lucky when it came to hanging around for over a hundred years. I wouldn't even consider carrying one for hogs. Not at all. Seriously ? Where do these guys come from?
Probably from the same place that folks claim use on people over time makes it appropriate for use on hogs. The logic is equally problematic, especially considering the goals of hunting and warfare differ considerably.

I am not sure how it is that you are likening expansion of ball ammo used in 1911s during the various wars/police actions you mentioned given the aspect that ball ammo doesn't generally expand and when it does usually does not expand significantly short of hitting exceptionally hard and durable surfaces and usually not at all when simply hitting soft tissue.

BTW, I carry a 1911 whilst hunting.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:30 PM   #58
justplainpossum

lol tipoc! Okay, I'm two out of three (female walking alone in southern state). Whew! Just another reason I'm glad I'm not a guy!

Actually, if I'm walking with Smith and Wesson, I'm technically not alone.
Old March 19, 2013, 04:28 PM   #59
markj

Quote:
There's nothing magic about hog skulls, nor are they especially thick
When I worked at the Pig Pallace in Omaha Nebr stockyards I saw thousands of hogs, not little piggies but hogs full size boars were 4 1/2 foot at the shoulder, had tusks were 5 in long. Had em try to get after me many times. Used to buy one every week and cook it up for peoples parties on the weekends but thats another tale.

a 22 is all I ever used to kill them, anything larger will go thru and hit the floor and possibly me.

Pig pallace is long gone now but some of us still remember the days.

and dont even try the wild hog is stouter than the barn yard hog cause it just isnt true at all. a 500 lb hog can and will do ya harm in the yard or out in the wild. Just gotta be carefull.

That bull I used 2 summers ago, now that was a fiesty one fo ya, he was 2500 lbs of mean and nasty had to load him up and bring him to my gals. City boys quake in their shoes at the site of him
Old March 19, 2013, 05:07 PM   #60
tipoc

Quote:
Actually, if I'm walking with Smith and Wesson, I'm technically not alone.
Good point!

tipoc
Old March 20, 2013, 04:23 PM   #61
jad0110

A wild hog founds its way into my sister's neighborhood a few years ago in the 'burbs. It was about 250 lbs with 2 - 3" tusks. The family across the street, who didn't know any better, called their kids to come outside and see the piggie (my father, who was with my sister, motioned them to go back in their house). A city cop discovered it in another yard a few days later, rummaging in a car port for food. He stepped out of his squad car, 12 gauge in hand and the hog charged him. He dropped it at roughly a distance of 10' with a single blast of 00 buck to the head.

I wonder if the city PD and FD had a cookout that night .
Old March 20, 2013, 05:37 PM   #62
RamItOne

Hogs armor is a myth. Sorry.

I've put em down with a P99 .40SW

I would have no trepidation carrying my M&P 9mm, P99 .40 or sig 1911 (I'd be more concerned about scratching my 1911).

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old March 20, 2013, 09:38 PM   #63
psyfly

Six or eight years ago I was following my son on a dark night down in Real County, Texas when I saw his brake lights come on and stay on.

When I caught up to him, I found he'd run over a herd of feral hogs. There were four or five of them (memory fades a bit) in various states of injury, unable to get away. I put them down with my Argentine Colt .45. Only one took more than one round of hardball and that was my fault, not the hog's hard head.

W.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:15 AM   #64
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Hogs armor is a myth. Sorry.
No, it is very real and some of what it can do is real. However, there is a lot of myth associated with armor. The armor has been shown to stop some birdshot, buckshot, and .22 rounds (pellets and slugs found in the armor by later hunters). The armor, more prevalent in males than females, is a layer of cartilaginous tissue which is fairly tough. Contrary to myth, it is not made from scar tissue and is not caused by fighting or rubbing. It is genetic as it is on some other "armored" animals like rhinos. It is claimed that it is there to protect the vital from injury from other hogs, but the vital tend to be lower than much of the armor shield and there is none low that protects the neck or heart. Given the amount of armor shield over the shoulder which is heavily muscled, and along the top side of the back, it would appear that the shield is in place to protect the animal from insults such as tusk stabs, but not necessarily of the vitals, but of other structures such as the shoulder girdle where most of the high strike tusk stabs occur (versus the low strikes where there is no shield and that are close to the heart and lungs) and where there is already a lot of bone and muscle "protecting" the internals.

I would posit that the shield is commonly blamed for a hog not stopped when the real culprit is along the lines of poor ammo choice, poor hunting/shooting skills, etc. The shield may yield a couple of inches of extra tissue through which the bullet has to pass (often much less), but that should be no problem for most proper ammo.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:09 AM   #65
Ruger45LC

There's nothing wrong with the .45. You could get heavy hardcast bullets from Buffalo Bore and if you wanted more, rather than buying another gun, try the .45 Super out. It's better than the 10mm anyway IMHO.

Otherwise I suggest buying a .44 Mag or Ruger .45 Colt loaded with warm ammo.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:25 PM   #66
markj

Had one run at me in the alley way, come off a truck and was upset. I dropped him with a sledgehammer, was right at my feet. no gun, he was huge too. Had nuts the size of basket balls....
Old March 21, 2013, 04:42 PM   #67
rickmelear

Well said Double Naught, most hogs in south and central Florida are dispatched with a knife. Of course a catch dog is usually attached to its nose
Old March 21, 2013, 06:09 PM   #68
Deaf Smith

Whoa guys..

Let's differentiate between a hog killed in a pen (as at a slaughter house), a hog killed hunting, and a hog that is trying to gore you.

Hogs killed at slaughter houses are penned in and thus a .22 will do fine in the noggen.

Hogs killed hunting are a bit harder but usually you are shooting them at a distance and they are unaware of you.

But hogs that are trying to defend their babies are a whole different kettle of fish (as is any animal, including humans.)

Now the original poster was worried about being charged by a enraged hog and not some penned in critter waiting to be slaughtered.

I suggest going to the board:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for.../forum_summary

and reading all about hog hunting and what happens out there.

Deaf
Old March 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #69
rickmelear

Rapid loss of blood or CNS kills them all. Their pretty angry when they bay up and a catch dog is on their nose, ears or balls as well.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:32 PM   #70
RamItOne

Double Naught Spy- the myth I was referring to was that it would stop most bullets. Yeah there's definitely a tough spot for their protection against other animals, just not a match for lead traveling at high velocities or Rambo. Dang couldn't find the scene where Rambo jumps from the tree onto the boar. Google fu failed me this time.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old March 21, 2013, 08:30 PM   #71
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I suggest going to the board:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for.../forum_summary

and reading all about hog hunting and what happens out there.
Ah, but as you noted, the question was about being attacked. Okay, you said charged. Either way, as you note, that isn't the same as hunting or shooting in a pen.

THF has virtually nothing on dealing with charging or attacking hogs and firearms to stop them. They do have threads on pit bull and bear attacks, however.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:45 PM   #72
TXAZ

Lot's more than just feral hogs to worry about

I hiked a lot, primarily in AZ, NM and Texas, and mostly during daylight. I seldom run across a feral hog, as compared to deer, snakes, lizards, turtles and bears. The largest numbers are coyotes and signs of cats.

While I'm sure you could find a place where it's mostly wild hogs, I'd bet the primary threat to most hikers comes from coyotes, cats, bears and snakes.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 21, 2013, 09:38 PM   #73
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I'd bet the primary threat to most hikers comes from coyotes, cats, bears and snakes.
And two legged snakes at that.

Deaf
Old March 21, 2013, 09:53 PM   #74
TXAZ

+1 Deaf Smith

Yes sir!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 23, 2013, 08:24 PM   #75
Ruark

I'd carry (and do, out here on our farm) a SIG 2022 9mm with a 15 rd. magazine and Buffalo Bore +P+ 9mm Penetrators. This is a jacketed flatpoint load that will easily blow a hole completely through the skull of any animal you could encounter on this continent. Probably not too good for your gun to shoot them a lot, but just for carry purposes, it's hard to beat having 16 rounds of this stuff available.