The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1
CWKahrFan

The Luxury of Electronic Gun Trading

Yesterday morning I woke up thinking it might be time to trade one of my snubbie revolvers that's very nice... but I just wasn't enthralled with it anymore... Kinda casually wondering what else might be out there.

So I put a short sell-or-trade blurb and a pic of the gun up on Armslist.

Got three hits on it within an hour, one of which definitely appealed to me... an even trade on an "old" but highly respected S&W 4506 .45 auto.

The guy was legally credentialed, friendly, serious, motivated and less than 10 miles away. We chatted briefly a couple times via cell phone, met in a gunstore parking lot, and by brunch time we BOTH had "new" guns that we're very happy with. He REALLY wanted what I had, and I REALLY wanted what he had. Win-Win.

At NO COST to either of us... Idea to fruition time was about 3 hours!

Painless... Luxurious.

If any new laws mess with such experiences, it'd be a real shame...

Last edited by CWKahrFan; January 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

Old January 20, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
DASHZNT

Thats kool.. i might try the same thing. Its nice to know there are still good people out there. And btw.. "F" the gun laws, If you sell your gun to someone else, its out of your hands.. PERIOD!

DASHZNT
Old January 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
915A

Very Nice, Im liking that!
Old January 20, 2013, 11:01 PM   #5
breakingcontact

I should try armslist. Have always used gunbroker and with good success.

Nice looking gun.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
CWKahrFan

And... Yesterday (two weeks after getting the 4506) I was happy to hand $400 to a local guy for a good condition 4" barrel S&W Model 19 .357 six-shooter.

This also came through a listing on Armslist. I had to do a lot more "work" for this score, wading through a week's worth of inquiries and no-go's and already-solds, etc. But in the end it was all worth it. And I'm retired so have the time. This week I also managed to sell 3 old bottom-shelf guns to a guy who specializes in "flipping" cheap guns... And tomorrow I've got an appointment to sell some milsurp ammo.

It's kind of like another computer-game... "The Gun Hunt"... Like, you definitely get extra points for clearer communications and manipulating gun photos around and being super-persistent and having good phone-chatting skills. If I play the game well, I score some cool used guns that I really want.
Here's my "new" Model 19:

Last edited by CWKahrFan; February 1, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Willie Sutton

^^ Armslist has been great here too.

Yesterday morning was looking at my Motly AK pairing, a Yugo and a WASR-10

Poked at Armslist... there's a guy two towns away with a Yugo who wants to trade it for a WASR-10 + $100.

Emailed, he called, and an hour later I'm out $100 and have the Yugo, and he's on his way with the WASR-10.

Needed some ammo, looked again, case lot of Wolf 7.62x39 in my town for "pre-panic plus about $50", called, met 300 yards from my house in the bank parking lot, went home... ammo secured.

CCW has become the ID card to tramsfer between individuals here, BTW. Most guys will not buy/trade/sell without them.

It's become the new gunshow.

Willie

Old February 1, 2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Willie Sutton

^^ Armslist has been great here too.

Yesterday morning was looking at my Motly AK pairing, a Yugo and a WASR-10

Poked at Armslist... there's a guy two towns away with a Yugo who wants to trade it for a WASR-10 + $100.

Emailed, he called, and an hour later I'm oput $100 and have the Yugo, and he's on his way with the WASR-10.

Needed some ammo, looked again, case lot of Wolf 7.62x39 in my town for "pre-panic plus about $50", called, met 300 yards from my house in the bank parking lot, went home... ammo secured.

CCW has become the ID card to transfer between individuals here, BTW. Most guys will not buy/trade/sell without them. I've decided that I will not sell to non-CCW holders. It's the "self imposed instant cred check".

It's become the new gunshow.

Willie

Old February 1, 2013, 10:38 AM   #9
TheNocturnus

I use Armslist all the time. It is a great website and I have yet to meet a sketchy person on there. It has a great community of people and is also a great way to find some neat stuff.
Brain (Use this one the most)