The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2007, 02:33 PM   #26
78CJ

"Exactly why this is an urban myth! I heard, someguy said, it is all BS!

In the first place a shell, not in a chamber, will NOT explode! The brass case will bulge enough to relieve the pressure so it can't build to explosion levels. Besides that smokeless powder is not an explosive, it's a propellant."

Classy dude, all I was trying to do is provide an instance I heard of that involved an inertia puller and a shell holder from a die. The thread I read it on had many photos and a pretty detailed description of the failure (I won't use "explosion" because aparently Websters definition of explode makes this the wrong term since smokeless powder does not explode). Or maybe not. I won't type it here since it is readily available in any version of the dictionary.

While we are on the subject, can you provide me with an instance where you have PERSONALLY spontaneously released energy from a brass cartridge in caliber .45 ACP held by only the rim which had previously been charged with a smokeless propelant under a projectile by striking only the primer. I am guessing that since you have, and know from experience that it will only produce a bulge then you would be more than happy to clamp a shellholder in a vice with a cartridge in place while you stand next to it and hit the primer with a nail.
Old March 29, 2007, 03:22 PM   #27
dgc940

I used to have the same whack the heck out of it problem until I figured out my bullets were seated too tight in the neck! I have sense went to using bushing dies to control my neck sizing more precisely and now they come out easier not to mention the gain in accuracy! The 35.00 die sets just size the necks way too small/tight
Old March 30, 2007, 01:33 PM   #28
snuffy

Quote:
While we are on the subject, can you provide me with an instance where you have PERSONALLY spontaneously released energy from a brass cartridge in caliber .45 ACP held by only the rim which had previously been charged with a smokeless propelant under a projectile by striking only the primer. I am guessing that since you have, and know from experience that it will only produce a bulge then you would be more than happy to clamp a shellholder in a vice with a cartridge in place while you stand next to it and hit the primer with a nail.
I'm woking on doing just that. Mostly to confirm what I said, also to de-bunk the claims that a shell "blew up" in a kenitic bullet puller. And no, I'm not so stupid as you apparently think I am, I', NOT going to stand there and hit it with a nail!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?