The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 8, 2013, 09:27 AM   #26
SPEMack618

44 AMP,

Thanks. I read of that in a book concerning a guy's experience from boot camp in ~1962 through the command of the 24th Division in Gulf War I.

I had never read of that before, and it now all makes sense. Cool.

Pop had told me stories of soaking M-1 Garands in gasoline during high school JRO|TC in the early 1960s, but only to remove cosmoline.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:02 AM   #27
Merad

Quote:
I read something similar to this concerning older GIs using hot soapy water to clean thier M-1 Garands.

why would any one do such a thing?
This is also very common with Mosin Nagant rifles when you shoot corrosive surplus 7.62x54R ammo. When you're done shooting, stick the bayonet on it, jam it in the dirt and pour boiling water down the barrel.

Doesn't really need any soap in it. Some people also will use windex. Doesn't really matter what you use as long as it's water based. The salt compounds that cause corrosion are water soluble so most normal gun cleaning supplies won't dissolve them.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:35 AM   #28
saltydog452

Garand Corrosive

I don't think that I have any surplus corrosive Garand ammunition. But...

Supposedly, Windex Glass Cleaner is a good way to dissolve the residue from corrosive priming compound.

Still gotta get the soapy stuff out and leave a layer of oil.

Don't know.

Anyone shoot corrosive ball and use Windex to tidy up the internals of your Garand?

Thanks,

salty
Old May 11, 2013, 11:28 AM   #29
g.willikers

It's pretty much the same procedure as cleaning black powder.
With a bolt action, it's even easier.
Remove bolt, barrel down in the hot (soapy) water, pump it up and down with a tight fitting patch, and flush with clean boiling water.
The boiling temp water evaporates immediately.
Follow quickly with oil.
Very easy.
Old May 12, 2013, 02:58 PM   #30
fshfindr

Long, long ago in the barracks we took our M1's in the shower with us to clean them, then from the shower to the boiling water from an emergence heater, get it good and hot so that it is dry as soon as it comes out, then oil.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:42 PM   #31
SIGSHR

Doesn't sound like a good combination to me. Vinegar and baking soda is a good home remedy for clearing out a clogged drainpipe. Many of the RevWar reenactors I know rely on the 3-in-1 mix of peroxide, denatured alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap. Peroxide by itself is a quick and easy way to clean back powder fouling but if left on metal it is corrosive and must wiped way PDQ.