The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 18, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1
stevensc

Visiting Florida

I hold a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit. I will be driving to and in Florida ( reciprocates with Louisiana) in the next week or so. I plan to bring a handgun, loaded, with me in the console of my car. I probably will not be carrying it on my person except to bring it into the hotels at night. I'll be on a 4 day cruise and plan to self park the car leaving it locked with the gun inside. The parking lot is "patrolled".
Does anyone have any words of advice or caution?
Thanks in advance
Steve
Old February 18, 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
tiburondriver47

I would say if you have a gun of less value (monetary or momental) take that. If not, do you have an alarm or other anti theft device that may dter someone from wanting to steal your car (and accidentally coming across your pistol). Also do leave anything of any value to someone in plain view (i.e. coins). Maybe keep the gun somewhat hidden like maybe in the spare tire well or where a repair kit may be hidden, basically anywhere you think someone breaking into your car wouldnt naturally look at. Because the lot is "patroled" it would be more likely that the car is broken into than stolen, so your basically just trrying to keep a potential theaf (sp?) from finding it.

I'm not sure how good of an idea this is, but maybe one of those things you put in your front winshield to block the sunlight to make it harder to see in the car.
Old February 18, 2006, 09:52 PM   #3
DonR101395

Remember to be nice to us locals since we can now shoot you for looking angry towards us. Lock it in the trunk in a lock box.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4
riverrat66

Be nice to us locals?

Quote:
be nice to us locals since we can now shoot you for looking angry towards us.
There seems to an awful lot of that going around down there. I'm flying down to Sarasota in a couple of weeks and not bringing "anything" with me. Is it safe?
Old February 18, 2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Limeyfellow

And if you see an old person driving a car dive for cover. They take out people alot down there.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Joe W

Sarasota is safe

I live close to Sarasota, my daughter and grandkids live in Sarasota. You should have no problems in Sarasota, it's a great place to visit, the beach's are great. Like any place else, if you look for trouble you can surely find it.
Unfortunatly you would have a problem bringing a handgun into Florida as Florida and N.Y do not have a reciprical agreement as far as CCW's are concerned. But, as I said, it's doubtful that you would need it anyway. Enjoy your stay, hope the weather cooperates.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:59 PM   #7
riverrat66

Joe W
I was only joking about Sarasota being safe. I know it is a lovely city and I love the beaches. I do have a Florida non-resident pistol permit but I am not bringing a firearm regardless. It's too much hassle at the airport. This lousy state of NY does not reciprocate with anyone! I'm just anxious to get away from winter and into the warm sunshine. Anything above 65 degrees will suit me just fine. Thanks for your reply.
Old February 18, 2006, 11:13 PM   #8
Garand Illusion

Old February 18, 2006, 11:20 PM   #9
cuate

Texas trip to Florida

Recently visited Pensacola several days. Hold Texas CHL so no problem with LA, MS, and Florida carrying concealed. Alabama and Texas don't jive concealed carry wise but Al. recognizes New Hampshire Non-Resident License which costs $20 and a picture of your current State's CHL, both sides, some simple questions. I definitely knew better and did not carry it upon the Naval Base there, a no no for sure!
Old February 18, 2006, 11:28 PM   #10
riverrat66

Florida's Shoot First Law

Garand Illusion
That is a whole different subject and another thread, one of which I've been involved in and choose not to re-visit. That's a no-win discussion there. It's like beating a dead horse.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:52 AM   #11
Mannlicher

If you are licensed to carry, then bring it with you. Going through the airports is pretty easy, I do it often. Call your airline, they will walk you through the procedure.
While Sarasota and its environs are 'safe', there is no guarantee anywhere in the world. If you have a reason to pack where you live, then you are just as rightous to pack in Florida.
If you are going to leave your handgun in the car when you are on the cruise, then just put it in a lockbox, as has been mentioned.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 19, 2006, 09:09 PM   #12
topspin43

Humidity

It is very, very humid here... make sure your handgun is well oiled and/or wrap in an oily rag.
Old February 20, 2006, 08:09 AM   #13
tegemu

I suggest going to www.packing.org and familiarizing yourself with Florida's laws. Other than that, WELCOME to Florida and have a great time.
Old February 20, 2006, 01:45 PM   #14
robmkivseries70

Storing a Pistol in the Car

Hi All,
It is possible to take apart the piece and hide the parts, in different places in the car, out of sight. A couple of zip lock bags and some oil might be in order along with a roll of paper towels. LOL HTH
Best,
Rob
Old February 20, 2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Garand Illusion

Quote:
Garand Illusion
That is a whole different subject and another thread, one of which I've been involved in and choose not to re-visit. That's a no-win discussion there. It's like beating a dead horse.
I posted the flyer as a joke. I don't think there's any controversy about the ridiculousness of the flyer and/or the campaign against Florida's castle doctrine law.

The campaign is stupid; the new law ROCKS! Wish Colorado would adopt it (though we already have pretty decent protection).
Old February 20, 2006, 04:15 PM   #16
riverrat66

Quote:
I posted the flyer as a joke.
I assumed you did and didn't want to comment on it because it shows just how low the Brady camp will stoop to try and scare the public. :barf:
Old February 20, 2006, 04:24 PM   #17
DerDer
Registration in progress

I would not store the pistol in the car at all. A crackhead will be able to read your facial expression unnoticed when you step out of your car and will instantly be able to tell whether there is anything of value in the car. Trust me, this is Florida and not some other wussy state. Keep your piece on you at ALL times. Here in Florida something crazy happens EVERYDAY whether it makes the news or not. Usually it is violent. Something that makes the news in your hometown is simply a daily occurrence for me.

Welcome to Florda.
Old February 20, 2006, 05:06 PM   #18
stephen426

You have a few options. The first is to fly instead of drive and not carry anything at all. Many hotels near the airport have shuttles that pick you up from the terminal. You can then catch a taxi from the hotel to the port and not have to worry about paying for parking and getting your gun stolen out of your car. Patrolled security is a false sense of security. I can understand bringing the gun for the road trip. Who knows what kind of wacko might stop to "assist" you if you break down on the side of the road.

If you really plan on driving, you can try storing the gun disassembled as mentioned already. You could also try to find a good hiding place, although a determined crook will probably look there first. Just make sure you get to the port early and get a good parking spot where a lot of people walk past. Also make sure you have an alarm to get people's attention if someone does break in. That way they will have less time to find the stuff before drawing attention. Good luck and welcome to the Sunshine State!
Old February 20, 2006, 10:13 PM   #19
LICCW

DerDer: I used to live in Tampa. I lived behind the Save-N-Pack on dale Mabry Highway next to 2001 A Sex Odyssey and across from Mons Venus. It was a long time ago so those palces might not be there any more. There was no such thing as the Tampa Bay lightning back then even. Its been a awhile. tampa was pretty violent then. I guess it still is now. I used to keep a Sundance Arms .25 handy then (it was all I could afford). I didn't have anything worth stealing, but the police were in the apartment complex every night because things were always happening. Haven't been back in 15 years.
Old February 21, 2006, 02:29 PM   #20
DerDer
Registration in progress

Tampa is ranked behind Baltimore and D.C. as the third most violent city in the United States, behind Los Angeles and New York. If you don't believe me look it up. Baltimore is #1. LICCW - Did you leave because it was too violent? For everybody else, check this out -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060221/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Man beats roomate over toilet paper in Florida.
Old February 22, 2006, 09:02 PM   #21
GLK

Quote:
I would not store the pistol in the car at all. A crackhead will be able to read your facial expression unnoticed when you step out of your car and will instantly be able to tell whether there is anything of value in the car. Trust me, this is Florida and not some other wussy state. Keep your piece on you at ALL times. Here in Florida something crazy happens EVERYDAY whether it makes the news or not. Usually it is violent. Something that makes the news in your hometown is simply a daily occurrence for me.

Welcome to Florda.
I hope your attemping to be humorous. If not this is the dumbest post I have ever read(ok it is at least in the top ten). I have lived here(Hillsborough county)for approx 25 years and have traveled most of the lower 48 states extensively. The Tampa bay area is no better or worse that any other large city or municipality in regards to crime. Additionally the local crackheads don't have amazing powers of perception Xray vision or facial expression car contents equating abilities. Then again I don't run with the $gAnGsTA(_;_)wOrLd$ crowd, their crackheads may be more advanced than the run of the mill crackheads. But I somehow doubt it. I won't even get into the legalities of your advice in this post or others you have made.
Old February 22, 2006, 10:17 PM   #22
LICCW

Tampa Violence

I went to the University of Tampa and received a commendation fromt the Tampa City council for the SERVE (School Enrichment Resource Volunteers in Education). I was amazed at the level of violence. Hillsborough County ranked number 1 in incest in the country in 1990 and number 7 for homicide. In addition I was a bouncer at CC's The Next Generation bar near USF. Constant fights. Every night. So while I'm not into the gangsta thing, I do think Tampa was a little violent. I don't know about the abilities of its crackheads, I do not wish to offend Tampa residents, it had some very nice areas as well and still has the best steak house in the country: Bern's. So let's not paint the picture of Tampa as a hell hole, but it was not paradise either. Just a growing city dealing with the problems inherent in modern city life, and filled with a lot of good people adressing those problems.
Old February 23, 2006, 02:14 AM   #23
DerDer
Registration in progress

Tampa is really ranked third in violent crimes behind Baltimore and D.C. but I wouldn't leave it for nothin'.
Old February 23, 2006, 01:10 PM   #24
FLA2760

Re Tampa Violence

It is the humidity!! lol
Old February 23, 2006, 09:07 PM   #25
Ares45

Still with the female hind-end in your signature huh DerDer. I remember someone asking you politely to deal with that. Apparently it doesn't bother you at all. It bothers me. I for one wish you would do something about it, Playah.