The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1
Ben Towe

Couple of newbie questions...

First issue: I bought Lee Collet neck sizing dies for my .22-250. At the time I did not realize that their full length resize die can be adjusted to size the neck only or to do the whole thing. Does anyone know if I can purchase this full length die separately? I believe that the cases will eventually need to be full length resized, am I correct in that assumption? They are already fairly tight in the chamber after the first firing (they will only be used in my rifle).

Second issue: Loading my very first rounds today I noticed my powder doing something odd in the dipper when I would pour the powder into the scale... the individual granules were, well, dancing around in the dipper, for lack of a better word. I'm using the Lee dipper provided with the dies to put powder (H380) in my scale pan (going for accuracy rather than quantity). Is this the static cling I've seen touched upon here on occasion? If so, should I be concerned about it? How can it be resolved? Static electricity and powder concerns me a bit.

Any help will be much appreciated!
Old January 31, 2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Sevens

The best way to purchase the collet neck-only size die (a very cool tool, I like them also!) is to purchase the Lee Deluxe die set. That set includes the collet die along with a f/l size die and a bullet seating die. Of course... since you did not buy that set to begin with... and you already have the collet neck-only size die... I would say your best bet is to search for a set of Lee "RGB" rifle dies. These are their lowest price set, they only offer them in -really- popular calibers (I'm not sure if .22-250 is one of them, but it may well be...that's a fairly popular round!) and if they don't offer the RGB set in .22-250 then your next best bet may be to call up Lee Precision and beg them to sell you a full-length sizing die for cheap dough. I'd be willing to bet they'll do exactly that.

The powder flakes jumping around in the plastic dippers is absolutely static, but I wouldn't worry a bit about it. When they get good and "dirtied" up with powder, it'll quit. And I wouldn't worry about static shock or anything like that simply because it's smokeless powder.

Smokeless powder seems to have a bit of an un-earned reputation because it's powder for gosh-sakes, powder they make ammo with and it makes GUNS go BOOM! Truth is, it's flammable. Like paper. This stuff isn't like gasoline in that red can in the garage. In fact, there's probably any number of more "dangerous" items under the kitchen sink in many or most households.

Keep powder away from the furnace and the fire place. Don't smoke in the same room where you handload or store powder. Keep the froo-froo scented candles in the crapper and not in the man cave.

Look at powder (especially small amounts, like you have in a plastic dipper) like it's paper. You KNOW what will happen if you get paper near an open flame, right? That's a problem and it burns hella fast. But we don't keep half an eye pointed at paper every time we see it... because it's just not going to light up on it's own. Smokeless powder isn't a lot different.

That can of gasoline in the garage? Good god, that's actually pretty dangerous. Smokeless powder? Not so much. If your house is on fire, THAT'S a problem. But don't worry about static in a dipper unless it's throwing off your dippin' charge!
Old February 1, 2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Ben Towe

Thanks for the help! That makes me feel much better.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Bart B.

While it's possible to size the front third or so of a .22-.250 fired case neck with a full length sizing die, any more sizing typically starts moving the case shoulder forward. The die starts sizing the case body down and that makes its shoulder move forward a bit. That increases case headspace and the bolt will start binding when closed on such a case. The end result is decreased accuracy because the bolt won't lock up in the same place for each round when its chambered. It all depends on the difference between fired case body and sizing die body diameters.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

If your dipper is plastic just wipe it down with a dryer sheet to get rid of the static.